Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)  (Read 9321 times)

J.D.

Re: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »

That's a similar bike to my FXDWG and, like you, the first thing I did was add the detachable windshield then upgrade the headlight.  I agree, it's a very fun bike to ride.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »

Anyway.  Gearing issue. 29 will work with stock belt.

That's good experience to have shared.  So the 30 I'm considering won't be a problem.  Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »

That's a similar bike to my FXDWG and, like you, the first thing I did was add the detachable windshield then upgrade the headlight.  I agree, it's a very fun bike to ride.

The headlight for mine was here before the bike was.  Always hated feeling like you were outrunning the headlight at night.  I'm quite pleased with the pattern, distance and width of the little 5 3/4" Daymaker. 

After the couple hundred miles the bike got on its shake down run that evening the planned windshield was no longer planned but immediate.  It should be here Wednesday or Thursday.  Either I'm old or at cruising or playing speeds on a bike without a shield the wind is harder today than it was when I was younger and stupider.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

Not a judgement, only an observation.  Other than visible goodies, your bike is a quick little beast that with just a few engine mods will eat the lunches of a lot of bigger displacement bikes.  All in sleeper mode.  One thing will bet the farm on - whatever you choose it will be a better bike than it was.

Yeah, over time a bit more could happen.  But not dramatic and certainly not to the visual presentation.  The aesthetic will stay in place.  The bike shows its age a little and having been kind of ham fistedly wrenched in just a couple places.  Scrape marks on handlebar control housings and just a few other small but similar things.  Those small but non-essential cosmetics will happen at my convenience.  The things more consequential to actually enjoying the bike that have already been discussed either have already happened or will be very quickly.

Next winter though....  Potentially the old Evo could get a little love.  That and the small gearing change could make a fun amount of difference.  Not too worried either way.  But, yeah, eventually I'll tinker with it.  It's not like I can really help myself that much.

The old Road Glide has been promised a new top end this upcoming winter.  Have cylinder and heads already powder coated and diamond cut.  Machine work will get done sometime this summer.  Don't want to work on it and the FXR at the same time.  Would look funny if I got parts mixed up and both bikes were half Evo and half Twin Cam.

J.D.

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »

Looks like yours also has the Fox rear shocks.  These work really well for me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »

Looks like yours also has the Fox rear shocks.  These work really well for me.

Yes, I was pleased about that when I saw its first pics from the prior owner too.  In fact all the important FXR2 specific stuff is there except the mid controls.  The rear shocks also seem to be working very well also.  The front is soft.  The ass end feels surprisingly good though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »

Bike got a brand new windshield today.  Quick detach.  Will try it out tomorrow.

J.D.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »

Yes, I was pleased about that when I saw its first pics from the prior owner too.  In fact all the important FXR2 specific stuff is there except the mid controls.  The rear shocks also seem to be working very well also.  The front is soft.  The ass end feels surprisingly good though.

Going up to the higher viscosity "SE" fork oil will help the front end.

Windshield looks good, but I found having a large gap between the cutout and the headlight can pass an annoying air stream.  Will be interested in hearing your impression on it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:45 PM »

Going up to the higher viscosity "SE" fork oil will help the front end.

Windshield looks good, but I found having a large gap between the cutout and the headlight can pass an annoying air stream.  Will be interested in hearing your impression on it.

It might not stay where it is.  As installed the top of the windscreen is higher than I'd like.  Side to side spacing would allow the lower windshield clamps to go below the lower tree.  The cutout for the headlight strikes the nacelle when trying to go that low though.  So if the top height does turn out to be a problem while riding might take a bit out over the headlight such that the whole thing can come down a bit.  Lower the top and hug the headlight closer.  Will ride it a bit to see how it does first.  At least bought it all cheap enough can afford to hack on the plastic a bit if I want to.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 01:46:38 AM »

After blowing that pic up it would look better if the shield hugged the headlight. Have had ok success in the past slicing on shields, as long as I went slow enough, everything was taped off, and the blade was sharp.  Can polish the edge, would be willing to bet you have a bench grinder.  Looks ok as is, methinks even better a bit lower.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

zn14

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »

I run 20wt. Bellray in my front forks.  I also ended up cutting down the windshield (level with my upper lip) so I could easily look   
over it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »

Two minor changes to this bike to add to my catalog everyone else must suffer through.  Grabbed this leather tank trim a few weeks ago.  Was badly faded but still surprisingly soft and pliable.  Finally got around to dyeing it this morning.  Like it better than the flat skinny chrome plate; especially when the gasket around the plate was shot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »

...and little SE carb cover for the Mikuni carb.  Bike is running well.  Makes me happy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »

Finally scored a cheap used example on eBay of the handlebars I wanted last week.  Rainy afternoon today so Wild1 255 bars went on, replaced the original (and flaking) switch housings, replaced the black clutch perch and master cylinder with chrome, Barnett's "Platinum" idle/throttle cables, leather braided levers, a new brake line, and rebuilt both calipers. 

Also found a probably 10 year old set of SAC grips that I ran on my old SEEG briefly before figuring out their larger diameter wouldn't work the hydraulic clutch.  As much as I like the ISO grips for their slightly larger diameter and padded comfort these are even better (to me).  Really comfortable grip and a great fit for my large hands.  The stock pieces had a lot of chromed metal surface.  When the bike sat in the hot sun the bitches got too hot to touch. 

Bar on the bike when it got to me was a relatively narrow drag bar.  It wasn't terrible.  Elbows were too close to straight though and shoulders could never quite relax.  The 6" angled risers made them functional.  Never going to work long term though.  The new bars are about 33" wide and about 2.5" wider than the originals.  Also gained about 2.5" in height and close to 3" in pullback. 

The time spent with a string, a straightedge, and a tape measure paid off.  Really good now.  Elbows have a comfortable bend, shoulders are relaxed, wrist angles good and back feels good.  Happy camper.  The rest of the changes were worthwhile, necessary or both.  So no complaints. 

Was hoping the caliper rebuilds would gain a little.  Unfortunately no joy there.  Just wish the old single pot calipers could do a little more with this light bike than they do.  I like the old front laced 21" wheel.  Turns out I can find no caliper upgrade that will fit with that wheel though.  Fortunately the rear brake is the more lacking of the two so may upgrade that caliper by itself and see how the bike feels before going deeper.

Rode the bike for about 90 minutes this evening after the rains stopped.  It's a much more comfortable ride now.  Still have to get the floorboards mounted....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.