Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)  (Read 9323 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New to me FXR2 (yes, it's red)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »

This question in the brakes/suspension section already.  Just in case someone is only looking down here will post in this thread as well:

The little FXR2 still has its stock 21" wire wheel.  I like it.  The bike could really stand a brake upgrade.  Turn out all of the caliper upgrade options I've found are stated to not work with the wire wheel.  Not enough space on the inboard side of the caliper to fit the spokes is everyone's warning. 

Did a quick rebuild of both calipers today.  Just because it was cheap to do and might help even a little.  It didn't....

The rear is the weaker of the two.  There is a relatively inexpensive four piston upgrade for the rear so will likely now do that by itself and see how the bike feels.  Actually a little hesitant to do too much of an upgrade on the front as don't want to find myself too easily locking up the narrow 21" tire. 

Of the few who read this section does anyone have any experience here?  Know of a caliper that would fit with the wire wheel or other insights worth sharing?

The bike is a hoot to ride.  Really liking it a lot.  It just doesn't stop as well as I'd like.  It's not scary bad.  It is in fact as good as it should be for the parts that are on the bike.  Would prefer to improve it a little if I could (without too much hassle).

Thanks all.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »

Back when I put a W/S on my old Wide Glide it was to high for me so I put a small piece of tape where I thought I would like it cut to and moved it a couple of times to get it just right then Mrs. R took it to a place called Tap Plastics and for $30 they cut it just like it came that way. Better than me bugger it up trying. Maybe there is a place like that around your area.

J.D.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »

This question in the brakes/suspension section already.  Just in case someone is only looking down here will post in this thread as well:

The little FXR2 still has its stock 21" wire wheel.  I like it.  The bike could really stand a brake upgrade.  Turn out all of the caliper upgrade options I've found are stated to not work with the wire wheel.  Not enough space on the inboard side of the caliper to fit the spokes is everyone's warning. 

Did a quick rebuild of both calipers today.  Just because it was cheap to do and might help even a little.  It didn't....

The rear is the weaker of the two.  There is a relatively inexpensive four piston upgrade for the rear so will likely now do that by itself and see how the bike feels.  Actually a little hesitant to do too much of an upgrade on the front as don't want to find myself too easily locking up the narrow 21" tire. 

Of the few who read this section does anyone have any experience here?  Know of a caliper that would fit with the wire wheel or other insights worth sharing?

The bike is a hoot to ride.  Really liking it a lot.  It just doesn't stop as well as I'd like.  It's not scary bad.  It is in fact as good as it should be for the parts that are on the bike.  Would prefer to improve it a little if I could (without too much hassle).

Thanks all.

On mine, with the single front and rear brakes plus the skinny 21" front wheel, I would recommend going to a more aggressive pad if "standard" pads are not giving you the bite you need.  I've chirped the rear tire a number of times with organic pads, and find I like the organic pads in the front to somewhat mitigate a front tire lockup.  I'm personally more focused on sticky tires than more aggressive brake pads.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:57:40 AM by 2002FXDWG3 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:26 PM »

Back when I put a W/S on my old Wide Glide it was to high for me so I put a small piece of tape where I thought I would like it cut to and moved it a couple of times to get it just right then Mrs. R took it to a place called Tap Plastics and for $30 they cut it just like it came that way. Better than me bugger it up trying. Maybe there is a place like that around your area.

When the screen was first installed I was strongly considering not "if" but where I was going to butcher it.  As time passed and a few more rides I've gotten used to it though.  It's still taller than any screen I've ever ridden behind.  Riding in the rain the first time might change my mind again.  If the rain doesn't alter my ego, however, I'm kind of ok with it now.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 02:01:07 PM »

Have you considered Kevlar soles for your boots & doing a Fred Flintstone to stop?   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »

Are the brake pads the same front and rear?  I have a new set of aftermarket sintered pads and a very low mileage set of OE "takeoff" pads that you can have to try out that fit the single-piston Evo style calipers.  Can't remember the brand of the aftermarket pads but knowing myself they are good quality.  I no longer have the bike these fit.  PM me if you want them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »

Are the brake pads the same front and rear?  I have a new set of aftermarket sintered pads and a very low mileage set of OE "takeoff" pads that you can have to try out that fit the single-piston Evo style calipers.  Can't remember the brand of the aftermarket pads but knowing myself they are good quality.  I no longer have the bike these fit.  PM me if you want them.

I'll play with just about anything to see what the differences might be.  Sending a PM.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.