Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buddy of mine just inherited one of these and needs some help with it..  (Read 2660 times)

Brewmeister35

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

So a buddy of mine just inherited a 2014 with just under 400 miles.  Said it wouldn't start and the battery was in rough shape.  Put a new battery in it and the alarm system went nuts.  He said it still seems like has no spark and just will not start.  I'm not familiar with this new of Harley.  Mine is a 2004 FLHTCSE and still has a key.  Is there someone going on with the alarm system that needs to be re-set?  Can anyone give any advice here?

Thanks in advance! 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?

Might need to replace battery in key fob too.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)

So a buddy of mine just inherited a 2014 with just under 400 miles.  Said it wouldn't start and the battery was in rough shape.  Put a new battery in it and the alarm system went nuts.  He said it still seems like has no spark and just will not start.  I'm not familiar with this new of Harley.  Mine is a 2004 FLHTCSE and still has a key.  Is there someone going on with the alarm system that needs to be re-set?  Can anyone give any advice here?

Thanks in advance!

I THINK since you took all of the electrical power away you will need to clear the code before the bike will start. It can be done with the switches on the handle bar after you enter the security code assigned to the bike. 

Call your dealer for help. I shouldn't cost more than 1/2 hour labor if that.

HDBill

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

Did you have the fob present when the battery was replaced?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

i know it's a little too late now, but this might help others in the future. 

if you have security on your bike, you can't just yank the battery out.  esp. if you have the audible alarm.  what you have to do is to turn the ignition on, with key fob present, so that the alarm will disarm.  you then remove the maxi-fuse.  at this point, you can turn the ignition off.  then you remove the negative cable first, then the positive cable.  of course, hookup is the reverse.

good luck with the bike.  sorry about the circumstances in getting it though.  does he have the fob on him when he is trying to start the bike?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:50:34 AM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Brewmeister.....this is your first post...you  might want to go to the introduction board and introduce yourself, tell us what you ride and a bit about your riding experience.

Secondly, you might introduce your friend to this forum so that he can join.  Then he can ask his own questions. Helpful bunch of guys around here.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Brewmeister35

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

Thanks for the replies guys.  Finally got a chance to check it out myself.  Tightened the battery cable, verified spark, shot of starting fluid and it fired right up.  Off to another buddy's shop next week as soon all the paperwork is cleared to get sold on consignment.  Kind of excited to ride the beast there.  What a nice machine!  Wish I could afford to buy it from him. 

Thanks again.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

bummer.  it's a shame that it couldn't stay in the family.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.