Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enclosed Trailer Insurance Questions  (Read 1566 times)

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
Enclosed Trailer Insurance Questions
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »

What's everyone doing with insuring their enclosed trailers? This past fall I bought a Lightning (Forest River brand) aluminum enclosed 7X16 trailer. Came with fold out beds & roof top AC. So far I haven't insured it since it has only been sitting in my driveway & I don't have any trees to fall on it aside from my neighbors maybe lol.
I called progressive who I have our auto, motorcycle and RZR insurance through. By the time I was done with the gal on the phone I was at anywhere from $300-450 a year for insurance. Just having $5k coverage for roof damage added like $50 a year to the policy. Then if I added any significant amount of coverage for items stored in the trailer it got expensive fast. When I said I needed a minimum coverage for a $50k motorcycle the trailer policy skyrocketed lol. I think I need to see if my MC or RZR policies have coverage of their own if in a trailer (whether just being stored on my property or going down the road). If they do, then I'd imagine I'd just have trailer coverage for like a generator and some other loose items etc.
This is my first enclosed trailer of any real value, so I'm not really sure what things cost. The trailer isn't a toy hauler per say, since it doesn't have a toilet, sink etc (unless I add stuff I suppose). I do have my 6x12 aluminum open trailer as well, but that's covered under my auto policy I believe for a small amount.

Thanks for any info!
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Enclosed Trailer Insurance Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:14 AM »

I have a kendon dual ride up trailer.  I wanted to make sure that I was covered so I checked with progressive (who my bikes are insured through) and to add coverage for the trailer was outrageously expensive.  I then checked with my car insurance company, and to add the trailer, the cost was minimal.  same coverage amounts.

not sure why the difference in cost, but check with your auto insurance carrier as opposed to your bike insurance carrier, if they are different.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »

This trailer belongs on your auto policy or perhaps a camper policy. Progressive on your motorcycle policy is treating this trailer as a trailer that you tow with your motorcycle, hence the ridiculous pricing.

Put it on your auto policy and be done with it

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »

Something is off...... to the best of my limited knowledge you can not insure your bike twice..... your bike insurance covers the bike. Adding that much in "contents" is part of where you went wrong.

I say this as I was on the phone yesterday with Progressive and insured my 67k toy hauler for $525 a year. I'm sure region and driving record plays a part in this rate however it is an example.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:24:30 PM »

I have a Pace 6X12 Legacy insured thru USAA. I have everything I own except the bike thru them. It is $106.00 year for the Trailer. Policy has ACV Collision with $250 deductible, Liability with limits same as car/truck,  Comprehensive (once again ACV) with $0.00 deductible & Tow & Labor.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »

I got quite a few hits on a facebook ATV group. It sounds like the lady from Progressive probably wasn't understanding (or I wasn't stating correctly) what I was asking etc. I'll probably deal with one of the local agents that sent me a message on fb.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.