Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the MoCo finally listening?  (Read 913 times)

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

mark

Re: Is the MoCo finally listening?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 12:28:58 AM »

I’m sure tepid sales led to this, but it’s still too expensive.  For the Livewire’s new reduced price I can get a Ducati Diavel and go further than 73 miles from home. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:49:08 AM »

I’m sure tepid sales led to this, but it’s still too expensive.  For the Livewire’s new reduced price I can get a Ducati Diavel and go further than 73 miles from home.

So less than 150 miles round trip for max endurance? Can't get my head straight yet on one tank full sometimes.  Zen doesn't happen that fast.  Wouldn't even get close if from 100 miles on was constantly worried about running out of electrons or how long was the extension cord.

Don't get me wrong.  I get the market for an electric bike or most electric cars.  It's what most of us do for daily driving.  Short hops.  To the market.  To work.  Don't get the engine up to operating temps?  No worries.  Electric doesn't care.  Local hops is not the recreational/mental health norm on a motorcycle though; at least not for me.  I took 80 miles to get to the hamburger joint I was going for dinner tonight; and the the place is only 10 miles from home.  Took me another 75 miles to get back home when I was done eating.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 10:03:13 AM »

Will be more interested in the 3rd, 4th & other versions following the current crop of electric bikes.  Not that I want one.  Expect when a manufacturer - whoever not necessarily HD - gets a bike that will go 200+ miles reliably at highway speeds & can recharge to 100% in 30 minutes or less the market share for electric bikes will chew up the gas powered bike market. 

Battery weights are problematic on a motorcycle.  Better batteries are supposedly on the horizon, that would change the game. When I am on a longer trip I do take a longer lunch stop but it's almost never an hour.  Gas stops every 2 hours or so  for a bathroom break sometimes take about 10 minutes.  Adding a couple of hours a day of travel time to charge an E bike is not of any interest to me.

HD was listening since they moved the price point closer to the competition.  For somebody wanting a commuter bike or a short bar hopper or a short errand runner or taking the trailer ride to a rally, the LiveWire is an option. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 09:30:55 PM »

Besides the range being a problem, the charging stations that support Level 2, or hopefully soon higher charging are hard to find where I live. There are some but they are in places I either wouldn't go alone after work hours or just to far from anywhere I want to go.
I also have been told that some of the charging stations are jacking the rates to pay for expensive installation and site rental. I noticed one local charger, Level 2, is $5.95 + $1.50 minute. This is more expensive than gasoline but same company has another site that is also level 2 but $3.00 + .75/minute. I assume the bikes are like cars, if you plug them in at home on 110v it takes forever and the 220V kit is about $500.00. So to many variable for me to ever consider all that mess.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »

“I took 80 miles to get to the hamburger joint I was going for dinner tonight; and the the place is only 10 miles from home.  Took me another 75 miles to get back home when I was done eating.”

Sounds like your GPS works like mine… 8)
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.