Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: What Happened CVO Forum?  (Read 9272 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: What Happened CVO Forum?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 11:37:32 AM »

And if social gatherings aren't happening as often, I don't see that as a comment on the quality or state of the forum.

I think a lot of that has to do with folks and their schedules.  It's the old saying, you can't please everyone, so the best you can do is give a lot of advance notice. Those who can make it will. 

Mikey Tee has a good system, he just holds their yearly east coast gathering at Maggie Velley where they run the Dragon.  They have a motel preselected and they host it pretty much around the same time of the year. All of that makes it easier on the attendees.

For me, I want to see different places, especially National Parks.  That means planning the rides at different times of the year.  You don't want to do the Grand Canyon in late summer to avoid the heat.  You have to be selective about Yellowstone to avoid snow. Our time in Ouray Colorado was perfectly picked for the weather. And if you pick August, you run up against folks and their Sturgis rides, so there is a lot to consider. Like I posted earlier, all I want to do is ride with my friends, at least those who can make it.

I think the forum is doing well.  It's a great place to gather knowledge.  As an aside, I selected my used 2006 CVO Ultra because it that the 103 motor.  Reading about all the problems the 110s on here were having, seeing what some of my 110 owning friends went through really helped me with my choice.  I was at my local dealer, Bartels HD and was ready to pull the trigger on a 2007 CVO Ultra. The only thing holding me back was all the info here and my friends experiences.  So when Dave said he was selling his 2006, I jumped on it!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »

Covid has been tough on everyone these past couple of years and riding is no exception.

In 2020 with no restaurants open or no washrooms available for that matter in many parts we couldn't go too far, and therefore did little riding that year.  Meetings were basically put on hold and we attempted to get interested in other things.

Last year was much better, but we still saw very few fellow riders out and about as usual, but certainly more than in 2020.

We hope that this year will prove to be better and I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.

Unfortunately this break in our favourite pastime has afforded some of our friends time to think about how much longer they will ride, and quite a few have sold their bikes over the past couple of years.  Plus now that the used market has risen so much and they are getting top dollar for them, that has also pushed many to make the tough decision to sell.

I feel the reduced number of posts on this site is simply a combination of what we're all living with lately - a pandemic and age. 

I consider myself a long time member and still enjoy and get lots from this site, and hopefully add a little something every now and then.

Take care & ride safe and stay safe!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:49:57 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2022, 07:38:00 AM »

Grizzly,

My experience with 2020 and COVID I guess was different than most.  I started Chemo January 6th 2020.  It was 3 weeks treatment and then a week off, and repeat all the way through October.  I made a decision right away, I was going to enjoy my week off to the fullest.  So every week off treatment we rode somewhere.  We went to FL 3 times, went to Eureka Springs twice, OH once, and Outer Banks once.  Some areas were difficult to travel through, but most not bad, Ill was the worst we rode in.  We were able to find places to eat and stay.  Hotel cost was way down, and traffic was non existent.  I rode my record number of miles, 29,100 and that was in 10 months as I spent Nov and Dec in Houston for a stem cell transplant.

Traffic has gone nuts since the end of all the lock downs and mandates.  To me way worse than pre covid.

This is the first site I check every day.  I enjoy the information, most all the people. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2022, 07:58:15 AM »

I've been here since 2008, and was lurking for a long time prior to that.  There used to be pages of unread topics to peruse every morning.  Now it's much less.  I'm not a frequent contributor, mostly because I've never owned a CVO, but also because I concentrate largely on long distance (IBA, IBR style) rides.  That isn't a very popular topic with the general population.

While I do miss the sheer volume of technical discussion that used to be common place here, this forum still has a great group of contributors.  While the group seems to be shrinking, the members left have maintained a great level of integrity and decorum (for the most part :D). 

I agree with most of the contributing factors laid out in earlier posts, as they relate to the exclusivity of the CVO line, and the challenges that other social media options present to the traditional forum platform.

Big Lew
IBA #595

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2022, 07:08:06 AM »

Dave,

Sorry to hear of your illness.  So happy to hear you were able to make the most of your free time with lots of riding... More power to you!  I hope this year affords you more opportunities to roll for even more miles.

I believe here in Ontario things were a little tighter shut up than in the States.  We had our restaurant industry basically shut down for months and unfortunately many places never survived.  The ones who did survive are opening up now, but it will be a long time before things feel normal again.

All the very best for a complete recovery Dave, and here's to   :drink:  continued enjoyment of the open road.

Take care & ride safe,
Mike

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2022, 08:14:34 AM »

Dave,

Sorry to hear of your illness.  So happy to hear you were able to make the most of your free time with lots of riding... More power to you!  I hope this year affords you more opportunities to roll for even more miles.

I believe here in Ontario things were a little tighter shut up than in the States.  We had our restaurant industry basically shut down for months and unfortunately many places never survived.  The ones who did survive are opening up now, but it will be a long time before things feel normal again.

All the very best for a complete recovery Dave, and here's to   :drink:  continued enjoyment of the open road.

Take care & ride safe,
Mike

I am in remission.  I get checked again this May to make sure I'm still in remission.  Canada was shut down much tighter than most of the USA.  I have a daughter in Thunderbay Canada.  The States really varied on the Shut down.  Some were locked tight, while others were loosely locked.  In NC and TN for example it varied by county, rural areas were pretty much open, Cities were pretty much closed.

I doubt I will get 29K this year.  I will be over 20K for sure.  Trip to SD, a Trip to WI, a Trip to CO plus a FL trip planned so far.  CVO will do most the trips.  CO is on the Pan America as its for a Rawhyde off road training, then a couple days of Off road high country adventure.

Cancer taught me a few things.  A good attitude is key to everything, especially healing.  Live every day like its your last, you do not know which one is last.  It makes me love life that much more.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »

That's fabulous news Dave.

Funny thing is, while we've been chatting back & forth a friend just sent me this old article.

It is a great read that touches on just what you've been saying.

Keep on rolling down the country roads Dave for many, many years to come.

All the best,
Mike

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2022, 12:54:55 PM »

Just my opinion, times change and so do a lot of trends. That said, I don't believe CVO Harley is a trend or was ever meant to be!
True the past year or so we haven't spent as much time on the site as we usually did. Illness, weather, work schedules, retirements, Facebook, Twitter, Ect. have cut into a lot of free time.
This forum is really about the people that ride motorcycles. Harley-Davidson and mostly CVO's. Over the years things have changed and Harley's are still the main ride, but a lot more non CVO's. Still for the most part the people are still the same. We still have a great time at the GTG's where we greet old friends and make new ones. I for one plan on spending more time on this forum and promoting the site.

Mike

:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »

this is a great site! it may have a few problems,but very few!! the good far outweighs the bad. i have really enjoyed and learned so much that has enhanced my cvo ownership. Neals creation is a masterpiece. other forums do not compare! thanks cvo harley and Neal for the last 20 years (13 for me). the site will have more interest in time. all things blossom and bloom. then it has another season to grow and bloom,again! you just cannot keep a good thing down. it will always find a way to shine.! thanks,Neal and many others who made this a truly good place to hang-out.  :cherry:

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2022, 01:06:51 PM »

Having just joined a very volatile FB group of old classmates where admins were blocking or removing strong opinions, I’ve always appreciated the admins here trying to keep things well organized & in check, with the primary focus on sharing our CVO experience & expertise.

Learning of issues with the Twin Cam 110 when it 1st came out & all the other components was invaluable including better non-OEM components, and sharing certain popular mods or how someone made their CVO their own has been great.

Now I don’t have the budget to afford much & don’t consider a motorcycle let alone a HD or better yet a CVO a toy or luxury, but I’ve always wanted a Harley since I was a kid & when I was finally in a position to afford making payments on one, I found a modern take on the old school springer with almost everything I liked.

I still drop in on this sight but have had a lot of personal things going on. Ironically due some of it I’ve been riding a lot more with my 1st & only bike ever owned since I bought it brand new back in August of 2008, a 2009 FXSTSSE3 with the Emerald Green flames on that rusty squiggle metal ground background with the Black Diamond primary color.

It’s cool to relate to other CVO owners, I only ride solo & don’t do any HOG, CVO, or other bike gatherings, but maybe some day I might drop in. It is still mind boggling to share information with another CVO springer owner in Switzerland, Australia, and everywhere else across this planet.

all I can say is thank you to Neal & the other moderators & members in making this a great group to be a member of, even a minimal participant like me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:55:30 PM by DarkEagle »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2022, 09:05:14 PM »

Great thread!
I have gained from this site many many close friends. I will always be indebted to Neal for this site and the friends I met here.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2022, 11:01:42 PM »

I also notice the decline and believe it's mostly due to Bookface, as it seems these days I get more information about what my CVO friends are up too from Susan via Bookface. Me, I think it's the devil, and refuse to join. LOL

Also I believe that there certainly is another component related to the isolation, maybe a better word would be abandonment, some folks feel with regard to HD Corporate. What we must remember is this site is not sponsored or affiliated with HD, it's the vision of one man, about 20 years ago. Thank You Neal!!!

I, like Mikeytee, pledge to help try to change that a bit, as I really enjoy the site and sometimes, well heck, most times, starting some manor of hopefully, humorous banter.

VIVA CVO Harley
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2022, 02:04:27 PM »

I also notice the decline and believe it's mostly due to Bookface, as it seems these days I get more information about what my CVO friends are up too from Susan via Bookface.

Also I believe that there certainly is another component related to the isolation, maybe a better word would be abandonment, some folks feel with regard to HD Corporate.

Another thing to consider is that we are not experiencing a decline, but rather a weeding out process. We all know of the rider who looks at motorcycles as a fad. They are really into it for 3-5 years and then move onto something else.

The rest of us here love motorcycles, and we have CVO’s. But truth be told, for some of us our love of this sport goes beyond CVO’s as reflected in the multiple brands some of us own and ride. We are the ones who keep showing up.

Hats off to us.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »

very true

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

Another thing to consider is that we are not experiencing a decline, but rather a weeding out process. We all know of the rider who looks at motorcycles as a fad. They are really into it for 3-5 years and then move onto something else.

The rest of us here love motorcycles, and we have CVO’s. But truth be told, for some of us our love of this sport goes beyond CVO’s as reflected in the multiple brands some of us own and ride. We are the ones who keep showing up.

Hats off to us.

Well said Mark.  Totally agree.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 22 queries.