Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digital Angle Gauge  (Read 1371 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Digital Angle Gauge
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »

For the past several months, I have been reading about a neat little Digital Angle Gauge made by the Wixey company.

Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

It's main use is in the woodworking field, but when I was trying to check some alignment measurements last night to figure out my swingarm issue, this little gizmo would have really come in handy.

To use it, you zero it out to a common reference point and then transfer it to a different point to measure the relative difference. Setting saw blade angles is a natural, but I'm looking to see if I have a vertical alignment problem at the rear wheel which is causing the shock mounting issue I have.

They sell at Rockler, Woodcraft, on-line and I'm sure other wood working outlets when you can find them. They seem to be flying off the shelves as fast as they can get them in.

I'm going to pick one up today and report back on how well it works. I'm pretty sure it will become one of those items that as soon as you have it, it will get used for lots of stuff.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Digital Angle Gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »

Chief,

I tried to find a small digital gauge a few years back to check the alignment on my Dyna, and could never find anything affordable that was small enough to sit flat on the brake rotors.  The gauge you've found appears to be exactly what I was looking for, and I'll be interested to see how well it works for you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Digital Angle Gauge
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »

Chief,

I tried to find a small digital gauge a few years back to check the alignment on my Dyna, and could never find anything affordable that was small enough to sit flat on the brake rotors.  The gauge you've found appears to be exactly what I was looking for, and I'll be interested to see how well it works for you.

Jerry

Jerry,

I picked mine up today and am really pleased with it. It's VERY easy to use, and only $40.

I think it has proven to me that my swingarm is not quite right. I zero'd out the gauge on one arm of the swing arm and then moved it to the other side, got 1.1 degrees difference between the two arms. The difference is in the direction that would produce the problem I am experiencing with the different distances between the left and right shock mounts.

The problem is, there is nothing in the SM stating what the tolerances are for the swingarm. I could take it out and show that it is not flat, but what is the spec?

It's a great little tool. I used it to find out the zero stop on my table saw is off 0.5 degrees, but my jointer fence is is spot on.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.