Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin Quest 2  (Read 1565 times)

rotag

Garmin Quest 2
« on: June 08, 2007, 06:24:49 PM »

My friend is wondering if he can mount the Quest 2 sold through Garmin in the HD motorcycle mounting bracket for the conquest? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Mike
2007 Blue SEUC, PCIII

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

Re: Garmin Quest 2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »

yes, it is the same gps

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »

yes, it is the same gps

It is my understanding that the Conquest has 2GB of internal memory instead of the 1GB in the Quest 2. I heard that the reason for the increased memory was to reduce the cycle time required to refresh.

djkak

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »

Yep, here she be. Got to say the Quest 2 is much better than the original HD unit (which I threw in the garbage) but if I'd not already drilled the hole and had the bracket mounted, I would not buy the Quest 2. There are much better GPS units out there.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:07:44 AM »

In general GPS worries me.  I fear my attention will be taken from the road, and I'll crash.  I think I'll stick to old school.  Study before the trip and strike out on the road. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:58:21 AM by REGGAB »

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:39:07 PM »

In general GPS worries me.  I fear my attention will be taken from the road, and I'll crash.  I think I'll stick to old school.  Study before the trip and strike out on the road. 

No fear here, I use the good'ol compass theory...I dont use it to navigate, but I do pull it out and check my azimuth once in a while. 

SOKOOL

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »

That is so true; and you thought that cell phone use was dangerous; these GPS things can kill you; having said that, I wouldn’t be caught dead without one.

At the risk of sounding like a paid promo; being directionally challenged, I don’t necessarily share MJZ’s perspective about the Quest functionality and form factor being inferior to the other GPS offerings. The larger units have expanded capabilities like XM, MP3, Bluetooth, 3D displays and so on, but I prefer the portability of the Quest. With a form factor smaller than a pack of cigarettes and a solid 20 hour battery life, this thing is more like personal GPS than automotive.

Being directionally challenged, my priority is directional stability on the bike, in a car, in the back seat, on a bus or on foot. With such a small display, Navigation aids like auto-zoom, turn pointer and the other text fields play a critical role in aiding your navigation. In a busy metro area or in Europe, counting down the seconds to your next maneuver is one of the most useful features on any GPS. The map itself is secondary to the navigation aids on the right of the screen IMHO.

Maybe it’s just me, but portability that practically allows one to navigate from their shirt pocket more than offsets the value of the peripheral geegaws offered on the larger units. I take the Quest with me out of town on business; on vacation whether domestic or abroad; local hops if I’m not familiar with the area; you could put 2 of these in your shirt pocket without any trouble. Keep in mind that this perspective is from someone that will jump in the pickup with a trailer full of snowmobiles on the bumper and run 1,500 miles without turning on the radio; and on the bike, a radio simply ruins the experience for me. The XM, MP3 and Bluetooth are things that I can easily live without.

H-D offers a decent looking compact handlebar mount for the Quest that allows you to run it on any H-D. I also have holes in my fairing, but I had this to do this over, I would run the handlebar mount. For some reason the original Quest is still offered; for those folks looking for a truly portable GPS, I would recommend H-D’s Conquest or the Quest 2. <end of unpaid promotional announcement>

djkak

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.