Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: That Blue LED  (Read 4714 times)

REGGAB

That Blue LED
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »

When I was in Memphis about two weeks ago, I noted that Mark (MJZ) had a blue LED cluster under his left saddlebag filler strip.  I just had to have one for my scooter, so I talked Jerry (ultrafxr) into letting me buy the ones on which he had dibs.  Got the electricals down.  What I'm having challenges with is how to mount the damn thing.  I went to Lowe's this evening looking for anything (angle iron, L bracket) that can be shaped with a Dremel and taken to a chromer/powdercoater and afterward used for mounting the blue LED cluster.  So, for those who have done it.........how'd you do it?  Please, help a Brother out!  Thanks!  :vrolijk_12:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: That Blue LED
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »

When I was in Memphis about two weeks ago, I noted that Mark (MJZ) had a blue LED cluster under his left saddlebag filler strip.  I just had to have one for my scooter, so I talked Jerry (ultrafxr) into letting me buy the ones on which he had dibs.  Got the electricals down.  What I'm having challenges with is how to mount the damn thing.  I went to Lowe's this evening looking for anything (angle iron, L bracket) that can be shaped with a Dremel and taken to a chromer/powdercoater and afterward used for mounting the blue LED cluster.  So, for those who have done it.........how'd you do it?  Please, help a Brother out!  Thanks!  :vrolijk_12:
:worthless: :worthless:

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »

:worthless: :worthless:

Yo!  Mark!  Pix Please!  Thanks!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:28:01 PM »

I'm not Mark, but always willing to help when I can. This is a picture of it lit up....

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:30:09 PM »

nice plate  :2vrolijk_21:

is there some story to the blue light that im not getting?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »

And here is another picture of it in daylight...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »

nice plate  :2vrolijk_21:

is there some story to the blue light that im not getting?
Mark described it as this...

Hey Chip, glad you could use it. I like that better than collecting dust in the storeroom.
As for the light, that is a Memphis thing. Right after I started back riding in 92 I noticed I kept seeing more and more bikes with a small single blue lights. They seem to have died out in the past years but it's hard to break old habits. Still see quite a few on us over 50 riders.
Antenna, it is hidden in the fairing, doesn't pick up as well as the OEM or the stubby but I love the way it doesn't look.

You can read about it here on the old site - Took The Nana Into Brian (Rosey) as the text to his reply was lost in the software transition.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:43:58 PM by Fired00d »
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:02:34 AM »

Thanks Gary.  I'm trying to visualize how he mounted his.  I think he did it off of the bolt end parallel to the frame of the bike with some sort of 90 degree bracket.  Would have to chromed or powdercoated to prevent rust, since that area takes alot of road wear.  I think I'm on the right track, but if we could see some close up pictures of the mount, that would confirm my visualization.  It isn't rocket science, but if he did it in a more effective/efficient manner than that which I'm visualizing, I'd like to know about it.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 04:41:04 AM »

Henry, you're right. On the 05 the original equipment had a small bracket on the left side for the radio antenna. I removed that antenna and installed the hidden Antenna in the fairing, then found the bracket was perfect for the light. Gertie is in the shop getting her tunes replaced (remember in 05 we didn't get the Harmon like the 06 and 07's, so Jim suggested Hawg Wired speakers, amp and conversion to a good Sony marine unit w/ XM) I will be out of town for a week starting next Wednesday, after I get back and pick her up, I'll post some pictures. PHAZE has done his on both his baggers and they look great, not sure what he mounted on but he went with the Kury LED Blues and they look much better. (of course I ran out and copied him a day later and replaced the old style Kury bullets)
BTW, if anyone wants a free pair of blue lens Kury bullets, pm me.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »

Henry, you're right. On the 05 the original equipment had a small bracket on the left side for the radio antenna. I removed that antenna and installed the hidden Antenna in the fairing, then found the bracket was perfect for the light. Gertie is in the shop getting her tunes replaced (remember in 05 we didn't get the Harmon like the 06 and 07's, so Jim suggested Hawg Wired speakers, amp and conversion to a good Sony marine unit w/ XM) I will be out of town for a week starting next Wednesday, after I get back and pick her up, I'll post some pictures. PHAZE has done his on both his baggers and they look great, not sure what he mounted on but he went with the Kury LED Blues and they look much better. (of course I ran out and copied him a day later and replaced the old style Kury bullets)
BTW, if anyone wants a free pair of blue lens Kury bullets, pm me.

Well Mark, I couldn't wait, so I acted on my visualizations, and it turned out pretty darn good.  Took the afternoon off, went to Lowe's, bought a piece of 1" 6061 T6 aluminum angle, then I stoped at Advance Auto and bought a single pole 10A switch, a blade fuse block and some 5A fuses.  OK, I know it is just a LED, but it is still 12VDC, and if something chafes..........well, you get the picture.  Anyway, I started off taking pictures, but the further I got into it, the more I forgot about the camera, until the end.  So, I'll show you what pictures I did take, and do the best I can to explain what I did.  First, here is a picture of the angle stock I used.  Sharpie is for scale.  BTW, if anyone else decides they want to do this, PM me with your address, I'll cut you a piece of the remaining stock and send it to you.  I have about 2' left.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:54:31 PM by REGGAB »

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »

This is what the first cut looked like.  I eyeballed everything, since my mind works pretty good like that.  The intent was to use the longer portion of the one side to hang from the rear outboard saddlebag support rail bolt, with the notch resting against the shorter inboard saddlebag support rail bolt.  BTW, I have the most awesome Dremel kit.  Made this stuff simple.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:55:51 PM by REGGAB »

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:32 PM »

This is what my fabricated mount looked like after drilling the holes for the mount bolt and the LED pod.  Again the short side mounts to the bike as indicated earlier; the hole in the long side is offset to move the LED pod more toward the center.  This photo shows the piece after filing with a single bastard file to remove all burrs, sanded, and ready for zinc and black paint.  It is at this point, that I picked up the pace.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:57:01 PM by REGGAB »

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »

This was a test fit of the LED pod.

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »

Almost done.  Yes, that is Springer's paw.  He helped.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:13 PM »

If I had it to do over, I would have bought some black fabric loom instead of using the red scrap I had in my scrap heap.  Anyway, once zinc and black on mount was dry, I mounted the LED pod to the mount.  Then I guesstimated how much wire I'd need and cut equal lengths of red and black wire.  Solder spliced the wire to the LED leads and insulated with shrink.  Covered the wires with fabric loom and mounted the LED pod and mount to the bike.  Ran the loomed wire to the battery area.  Removed the male blank from the 160B P&A Battery Multilock connector (constant hot), crimped a 72101-04 male terminal onto the blade fuse block, inserted the terminal into the Multilock blank and reinstalled on 160B, solder spliced the other end of the fluse block to the single pole switch, which I mounted in the 1/2" hole on the right side of the the battery box, solder spliced the other end of the switch to the LED pod hot wire, ran the ground wire to the negative battery post using crimped ring terminal, loomed the wiring with plastic split loom, inserted a 5A fuse, threw the switch, and all was good.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.