Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: That Blue LED  (Read 4713 times)

REGGAB

Re: That Blue LED
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »

Split looming.  You can barely see the 160B connector I used for hot.

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »

Switch

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »

End product.  Last picture I'll post.  As an aside, you can barely see the pads the technician in Junction City, KS put on my saddlebags when he changed my rear tire.  I thought it was mighty caring of him to do that instead of just setting them on the floor as is.

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 11:04:32 PM »

Earlier this week, I placed an order with a dealer with whom I do business.  The order arrived today, and in addition to the 72101-04 terminal, my chrome baffle arrived.  That'll go on in the morning.  Clearview should arrive next week.  New case of AMSOIL coming as well.  Looks like I'm about ready to trek back out to Kansas again.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 11:29:24 PM »

Henry, looks good man.  Nice job.  Question thought - why didn't you hook it up to your acc switch?  That is what I was thinking of doing.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »

Henry, looks good man.  Nice job.  Question thought - why didn't you hook it up to your acc switch?  That is what I was thinking of doing.

Got plans for that.  First, the accessory connector under the seat is a Deutsch, and crimpers for Deutsch are roughly $200 through Daniel's Manufacturing or $385 through Kent Moore....HD's supplier.  I don't believe in splicing into vehicle harness wires.  Aviation maintenance background won't allow it.  Second, I'm gonna use the HD 12VDC point point, which the instructions tell us to mount in the right side cover, and mount it in the tour pak through one of the speaker boxes.  Had my 02 Ultra done that way, and it worked great when toting a bimetallic cooler.  Kept drinks cool.........not real cold...........but cool enough.

Thanks, Jerry.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »

OK, I must be stupid.  I have read the questions and the followups, but so far I can't find anywhere that says the point of the blue light.  Even saying it's a Memphis thing doesn't explain it.  Is there a point to this?  I can't for the life of me figure it out.  Thanks.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »

OK, I must be stupid.  I have read the questions and the followups, but so far I can't find anywhere that says the point of the blue light.  Even saying it's a Memphis thing doesn't explain it.  Is there a point to this?  I can't for the life of me figure it out.  Thanks.

Back in the 80's It was a Memphis thing and everytime you were out of town on a ride, you could immediately spot a Memphis bike. Plus the blue light is like a beacon, it seems to be noticed at a much greater distance than any other light on the bike, especially in less than idea weather conditions. So now I am going to go with safety first and cool looks as a byproduct. JMHO

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

You can see blue light way farther away than the others on the bike.  I am pretty sure in Washington State it is illegal to run them, as the Police bikes and vehicles run blue here.

REGGAB

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »

Back in the 80's It was a Memphis thing and everytime you were out of town on a ride, you could immediately spot a Memphis bike. Plus the blue light is like a beacon, it seems to be noticed at a much greater distance than any other light on the bike, especially in less than idea weather conditions. So now I am going to go with safety first and cool looks as a byproduct. JMHO

At first I thought it was simply pure coolness, but I've been out riding most of the morning.  Left the LED pod on when I went into Walmart.  I park way out at that place.  Before I got out the door, I saw the blue LED...........and it is bright and sunny here..........not a cloud in the sky, so anything that keeps me visible is a safety device as far as I'm concerned.  Safety FIRST!  Coolness always! :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »

You can see blue light way farther away than the others on the bike.  I am pretty sure in Washington State it is illegal to run them, as the Police bikes and vehicles run blue here.

Mark tells me they're illegal in Missouri as well, which is another reason I put a switch in the circuit, since apparently I'll be passing through there yet again next month.  It sure does make the bike more visible.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »

Mark tells me they're illegal in Missouri as well, which is another reason I put a switch in the circuit, since apparently I'll be passing through there yet again next month.  It sure does make the bike more visible.

id be willing to bet the blue light is unlawful just about everywhere......  but whether its enforced or not is a whole other question 

and, yes it is unlawful in Co also...depending on which statute you use it can be a 15 dollar ticket, a Misdemenaor 1 or a felony ( Impersonation ... that'd be a hell of a stretch in this case)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

Kinda like the blue dot light thingy I have on my RK, was in sturgis years ago and lost a buddy in the crowds when my bike died (electrical gremlin stalked me for about a year) - anyhow it was dark and I got started again and headed in his direction, he knew where the campground was I was following, he had turned around and found me in the crowds because that blue just stands out he said.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.