Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: GPS Are you happy with yours???  (Read 9389 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: GPS Are you happy with yours???
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 08:02:30 AM »

Steve,

Bought my Zumo 550 @ buydig.com for $620 - no shipping charge, no tax.  Handlebar mount is junk - went with Techmount & so far very pleased.  Have had other GPS's in the past - Garmin on the boat, so that may be why the Zumo was very easy to learn.  Or it could have been reading the encyclopedia of knowledge d00d (otherwise known as Zumo Guru) has posted here - extremely helpful stuff.  Except no cold beer locator.... so far.

Have XM built into the 147 function H/K radio on the bike so did not get the ugly azzed XM antenna.  Works great - Aux. plug in on bike for sound & also in one of the cars.  I'd buy it again - price seemed to bottom out to about $600 in Nov. & now is a little bit higher.  Good luck.

Question:  what FM transmitter are you using?  Bought one from Best Buy that they recommended & it's junk - will be taking it back.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 09:05:32 AM »

...Except no cold beer locator.... so far...

I thought there was a feature to search for restaurants?  Is that not cold beer locator? 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »

I thought there was a feature to search for restaurants?  Is that not cold beer locator? 

In some areas, yes.  In other areas, not so much.  Some of the suthun towns we frequently ride to & through are dry.  In much of southwest Georgia there is no beer or alcohol sold on Sundays.  Figure that's one reason we see so many south GA bikers in North Florida on Sundays.   ;D

A beer mug indicator would be handy at times, but so far no POI. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

True, but not always the "coldest" beer. I've found them mostly at little out of the way local establishments that serve really good home cooked food (best burger in town) type places. These type of places don't usually make into the GPS database.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 09:29:51 AM »

...Some of the suthun towns we frequently ride to & through are dry.  In much of southwest Georgia there is no beer or alcohol sold on Sundays.  Figure that's one reason we see so many south GA bikers in North Florida on Sundays.   ;D

A beer mug indicator would be handy at times, but so far no POI. 

:drink:  That is too funny.  We seldom will drink alcohol while riding our bikes, so have never noticed this lack of availability, but I had no idea that one may stop for a bite somewhere and that alcohol would not be available on a Sunday.  I do know of dry counties, but since we don't live near any, never thought of that as being a destination determinant.  Very interesting. Got to add this to the Friday Beer Thread.  

:cherry:

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »

True, but not always the "coldest" beer. I've found them mostly at little out of the way local establishments that serve really good home cooked food (best burger in town) type places. These type of places don't usually make into the GPS database.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Now that is very true.  Have found that with the GPS on my car.  Don't have one on the bike yet.  But I was running across Richmond one day, looked up a restaurant to grab a quick sandwich on my way back to work.  I got directions to a Hardees.  The GPS took me to the Virginia Headquarters for Hardees.  The only sandwiches were the ones the workers brought with them.   :D

mungam

• Elite CVO Member
  • onepalaj
    • MA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »

Question:  what FM transmitter are you using?  Bought one from Best Buy that they recommended & it's junk - will be taking it back.
It was something I picked up on ebay for 10 or 20 dollars.  It was a combo charger fm transmitter.  I can switch between 4 frequencys.  Very similar to this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-in-1-BK-Car-Kit-FM-Transmitter-Charger-for-iPod-Video_W0QQitemZ120202347725QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It works, I only use it on long trips.

Steve
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
Maggie Valley, NC (05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19)
New River Gorge (10)
Rib Fest (12, 13, 14)

West Coast
Cripple Creek, CO (06)
Nelson, BC (07)
Sedona, AZ (08)
Hood River, OR (09)
Lake Tahoe, NV (11)
Spokane, WA (12)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »

Steve, my Garmin 2730 (and probably other models as well) has the ability to broadcast wirelessly on an FM frequency. Just pick an unused frequency in your area, then set the unit to that frequency. I use it alot when riding in a group - everybody can have tunes! One thing about the Zumo is that it doesn't show the names of the towns your riding thru (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=15546.msg258809#msg258809 ) when in map mode - to me that's almost a must have feature.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:13:33 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »

Around here (Southern New England), I find the FM a pain since there are too many radio stations.  i am constantly competing with a channel and find that I need to shift the frequency....when I use FM for an xm radio we have.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2007, 06:22:41 AM »

:drink:  That is too funny.  We seldom will drink alcohol while riding our bikes, so have never noticed this lack of availability, but I had no idea that one may stop for a bite somewhere and that alcohol would not be available on a Sunday.  I do know of dry counties, but since we don't live near any, never thought of that as being a destination determinant.  Very interesting. Got to add this to the Friday Beer Thread. 

We don't have a drink every time we ride (or even close) but sometimes a frosty cold beverage is desired after lunch, for medicinal purposes of course (watching the ocean with a frosty mug can be good for the soul).  Noticed the same thing with my Zumo - it will pick a corp. office or HQ as well as the place of business at times.  I was born & raised in a dry county, but beer could be bought on Sundays (bootleggers).  The GPS is a very handy device - don't have it on this trip since we don't need it, but when we do, its invaluable at times. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2007, 06:23:11 AM »

It was something I picked up on ebay for 10 or 20 dollars.  It was a combo charger fm transmitter.  I can switch between 4 frequencys.  Very similar to this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-in-1-BK-Car-Kit-FM-Transmitter-Charger-for-iPod-Video_W0QQitemZ120202347725QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It works, I only use it on long trips.

Steve
Thanks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »

:drink:  That is too funny.  We seldom will drink alcohol while riding our bikes, so have never noticed this lack of availability, but I had no idea that one may stop for a bite somewhere and that alcohol would not be available on a Sunday.  I do know of dry counties, but since we don't live near any, never thought of that as being a destination determinant.  Very interesting. Got to add this to the Friday Beer Thread.  

Actually............that would be the wrong thread.  They'll need to start a Sunday beer thread. ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PMRC

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »

Garmin 478 with XM & Weather w/ NEXRAD weather radar.  Very happy. Excellent unit and can't imagine traveling without it.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 02:06:44 AM »

Love it - just make sure you have it updated via the Bios uploads on the HD site...
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

mungam

• Elite CVO Member
  • onepalaj
    • MA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 11:55:25 PM »

Well thanks to all their input on the subject.
I got the Zumo 550 this week.  It is sooooooo much better than my Quest2 was as far as speed of drawing and data input.  The differences...only time will tell but my futures so bring I gotta wear shades  8)

Steve
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
Maggie Valley, NC (05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19)
New River Gorge (10)
Rib Fest (12, 13, 14)

West Coast
Cripple Creek, CO (06)
Nelson, BC (07)
Sedona, AZ (08)
Hood River, OR (09)
Lake Tahoe, NV (11)
Spokane, WA (12)
Santa Fe, NM (13)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 21 queries.