Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this a normal tactic (Newbie Requesting Guidanc  (Read 2506 times)

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
Is this a normal tactic (Newbie Requesting Guidanc
« on: April 20, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »

I had my 1000-mile service completed today and I told the service people to not change the fluids because I had already changed over to AMSOIL (engine/primary) and Redline (trans). After the service was completed the service manager said that he needed to inform me that not using Harley oil would void the warranty and that I need to switch back to keep my warranty valid.

I said okay can you put that in writing for me (not using Harley oil voids the warranty). He seemed a little disturbed that I asked him to put it in writing.

Now why I am posting this:

Is this a normal tactic of dealers? If so, I won
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: Is this a normal tactic (Newbie Requesting Gui
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:39:58 PM »

The only terms and conditions of the warranty are those stated in the warranty declaration issued by HD Corporate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:42:20 PM by BLM777 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, rainman,
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 07:34:12 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »

Years ago I was a class
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:12:49 PM »

Tie in sales such as you're describing are discussed for allowabiltiy and lack of allowability (in different circumstances) in the Magnuson-Moss Act and in several parts of administrative law as layed down by the FTC.  In short the dealer can not tell you that your warranty is voided for using other than a manufacturer's supplied or suggeted lubricant.  In fact there have been appelate cases that bounced around the GM decision that did everything short of mandating that if a manufacturer REQUIRED a specific oil for warranty purposes that they then had to supply you that oil; free.

Basically what you're dealer is saying is patently illegal.  He's being an assho*le and being a little crooked.  What's more is that he almost has to know that what he's saying isn't true.  Which really means it's a shop that can't be trusted and it's time to find someplace else to spend your money.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:22:43 PM »

Sorry to hear their jerking you around Rainman. 2lane hit the nail on the head from a legal standpoint. I also have to add your Harley owners manual gives specific guidelines to  requirements on the oils used in your bike, I

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 09:27:46 AM »

another falicy is that YOU cannot do your own services - b/s - buy a service manual - show receipts for manual and all lubricants & parts - keep those in a seperate file from all other data - follow the required maintenance and keep that record in that file - you have performed the required maintenance - NOT a dealership ONLY item

as long as the lubicants MEET or EXCEED mfg requirements you are fine - keep RECORDS - even an oil analysis once in a while does not hurt either - the data is stamped on the container @oils - if anyone has never seen the insides of an oil filter  - it is worth the 2 minutes it takes to open one up - there are HUGE differences in quality/media

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 10:16:39 AM »

Good advice from everybody. As far as your dealer, go elsewhere. Our service dept. carries different brands of trans. fluid etc. and have for years.
Good luck [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 10:56:36 AM »

Like Tony said, go someplace else.  Who ever told you that is also about to sell you ocean front property in Missouri.  It's obvious that dealership is not familuar with the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act nor the intent of the MMWA.  It prohibits exactly what that guy is doing.

If the oil meets the factory specifications (most motor oils do!) then they can not dictate what brand you use.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.