Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie  (Read 19894 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »

Just curious, but if you rebult everything, why not get DOT4 rubber kits and switch to 4? I've never looked into it. Is there something other than rubber parts that eliminate that as a possibility?

:indian_chief:

Don't even have to do that Chuck.  For example the only differnece between a Harley chrome master cylinder kit for 05 and later and pre-05 bikes is the lid on the cylinder.  One lid has a DOT5 warning sticker while the other does not.  All the rest of the brake parts could care less too.

Truth be told I wimped out last night.  Grabbed a quart bottle of DOT5 out of the cabinet.  Had premonitions of bleeding and pumping and bleeding and pumping and crying and yelling and screaming and bleeding and pumping (because, well, that's just what you do with DOT5 sometimes).  But I had allowed the possibility of options.

Had flushed the lines while rebuilding the calipers and rear master cylinder.  Front master cylinder was new with the chrome kit.  So, screw it.  I filled it all with synthetic DOT4 and had both ends bled in about 45 minutes.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

Don't even have to do that Chuck.  For example the only differnece between a Harley chrome master cylinder kit for 05 and later and pre-05 bikes is the lid on the cylinder.  One lid has a DOT5 warning sticker while the other does not.  All the rest of the brake parts could care less too.

Truth be told I wimped out last night.  Grabbed a quart bottle of DOT5 out of the cabinet.  Had premonitions of bleeding and pumping and bleeding and pumping and crying and yelling and screaming and bleeding and pumping (because, well, that's just what you do with DOT5 sometimes).  But I had allowed the possibility of options.

Had flushed the lines while rebuilding the calipers and rear master cylinder.  Front master cylinder was new with the chrome kit.  So, screw it.  I filled it all with synthetic DOT4 and had both ends bled in about 45 minutes.

I've never seen o-rings stating DOT5 compatible or DOT4 compatible, but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I may just change back to DOT5 for the sake of the paint and powder coat. I really hate how nasty DOT4 is on that stuff. It softens the powder on the lift in seconds when a some gets on the surface. Scary stuff.

Maybe I need to develop a HD pressure bleeder to speed things up.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »

I use a suction bleeder (hand trigger) whenever I bleed brakes, whether it's the Porsche, the bikes, whatever.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »

I use a suction bleeder (hand trigger) whenever I bleed brakes, whether it's the Porsche, the bikes, whatever.

I've got a Mity-Vac and it works pretty well on DOT4, but it causes more harm than good with DOT5. :)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

I've got the same tool Ernie.  But I always seem to make too much turbulence with DOT5 and entrain air in the liquid.  When that happens you're hosed for hours.  I like the non-hygroscopic nature of DOT5.  I like that it's paint friendly.  But I hate working with the stuff so much that I almost never use it.  Of course on anything with ABS it's not even an option; you can't use it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »

I think the SEEG really is pissed I brought the SERG home.  It just won't quite lay down and let me fix it.

Re: the clutch without enough travel to fully release.  ISO grips as used to be on it are narrower OD than the SAC grips currently on it.  Pulled old ISO grips out of the drawer to reinstall.  Left grip was a glue on.  Found it had not survived removal well enough to use over again.  Kuryakyn doesn't/won't sell just the rubber inserts.  So off to the bike shop to get a set of grips.

They had the ISOs.  Put them on.  More travel.  The clutch works.  It's barely enough travel.  But it works.  The new clutch felt better after fifty miles then it had to begin with.  Probably as a result of being just a hair short on travel downshifting required slightly more than the expected effort.  By end of ride it seemed to be sorting out though. 

Engine still feels and sounds good.  Runs great.  Drivetrain at least for now seems to be done and ready for the road.  Will ride it more over the weekend to continue shaking it down some. 

While out this aftenoon the radio stopped working though.  Don't yet know whether it's the fuse in the amp, the amp itself or the radio itself.  Radio itself powers up though so it's not the fuse in the fuse panel.  Not even going to screw with it right now.  Have tunes loaded in the GPS if I want to listen to anything.  Will deal with it after the trip to Georgia.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »

I think the SEEG really is pissed I brought the SERG home.  It just won't quite lay down and let me fix it.

Re: the clutch without enough travel to fully release.  ISO grips as used to be on it are narrower OD than the SAC grips currently on it.  Pulled old ISO grips out of the drawer to reinstall.  Left grip was a glue on.  Found it had not survived removal well enough to use over again.  Kuryakyn doesn't/won't sell just the rubber inserts.  So off to the bike shop to get a set of grips.

They had the ISOs.  Put them on.  More travel.  The clutch works.  It's barely enough travel.  But it works.  The new clutch felt better after fifty miles then it had to begin with.  Probably as a result of being just a hair short on travel downshifting required slightly more than the expected effort.  By end of ride it seemed to be sorting out though. 

Engine still feels and sounds good.  Runs great.  Drivetrain at least for now seems to be done and ready for the road.  Will ride it more over the weekend to continue shaking it down some. 

While out this aftenoon the radio stopped working though.  Don't yet know whether it's the fuse in the amp, the amp itself or the radio itself.  Radio itself powers up though so it's not the fuse in the fuse panel.  Not even going to screw with it right now.  Have tunes loaded in the GPS if I want to listen to anything.  Will deal with it after the trip to Georgia.

See - The SEEG was attacking the SERG...I knew it all along... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »

Sounds like sibling rivalry to me. You've got a saboteur on your hands. :)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »

See - The SEEG was attacking the SERG...I knew it all along... 

It's something.  The red bike has been tempermental since I tried to feed it all the Zippers chow.  But that's all better now.  I think now its feeling are just hurt. 

I need for that damned EZ pull clutch thing to finally get here in the mail so the SERG can come back down on the floor and the bikes can start making nice with each other.  The SEEG always thought the lift was hers.  I think it upset her when she got worked on setting on a mere bike jack.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.