Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Cybil's Xetronics HID!  (Read 9155 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Cybil's Xetronics HID!
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »

I bought a dual Xetronics HID setup from Jim a few months ago. Never really got a chance to test them out. Driving in NYC at night, they aren't terribly noticable. And my trips hadn't yielded any night riding in dark areas. Until this weekend!

There are no street lights in the rural Northern Catskills. Well, Cybil took us, the Reggabs, and the GH's home Sat night. Neither of them could see chit with the stock 2 lamp HD halogen setup. Same as I had on my SERK. But I gotta tell ya'll, that HID setup IS THE CAT'S ASS!!! :2vrolijk_21:

I also have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my spots. On low beam with the spots it was really good on those dark roads. And the dual HID's on High Beam were unreal. It bathed the road in light, and for the first time in 37 years of riding, I WAS ABLE TO SEE PERFECTLY at night!

If you don't have these, F the chrome chit! Get a set of these first. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cybil's Xetronics HID!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:18:48 AM »

Glad you like them Howie, I personally will never have a bike without them.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »

Is it a bulb replacement or lamp assembly replacement?  If it's just a bulb.....no brainer!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:23:15 AM »

I bought a dual Xetronics HID setup from Jim a few months ago. Never really got a chance to test them out. Driving in NYC at night, they aren't terribly noticable. And my trips hadn't yielded any night riding in dark areas. Until this weekend!

There are no street lights in the rural Northern Catskills. Well, Cybil took us, the Reggabs, and the GH's home Sat night. Neither of them could see chit with the stock 2 lamp HD halogen setup. Same as I had on my SERK. But I gotta tell ya'll, that HID setup IS THE CAT'S ASS!!! :2vrolijk_21:

I also have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my spots. On low beam with the spots it was really good on those dark roads. And the dual HID's on High Beam were unreal. It bathed the road in light, and for the first time in 37 years of riding, I WAS ABLE TO SEE PERFECTLY at night!

If you don't have these, F the chrome chit! Get a set of these first. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist

Is this just a HID for Halogen swap out, or does it require a major process to replace the origional Halogen with this unit? Plus what wattage did you get, because I have seen all different sizes on-line and don't know CHIT about what I would need or want.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »

It's almost a bulb replacement, but that's just 1 part of it. The SERK has the dual halogen setup. The HID setup has 2 HID lamps that replace the halogen lamps. But the HID lamps need to use electronic ignitors as well. All the necessary items for the conversion are included. It's pretty straighforward. You just need to make room for the ignitors in the SERK headlight nacelle. FD's are easy! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »

It's almost a bulb replacement, but that's just 1 part of it. The SERK has the dual halogen setup. The HID setup has 2 HID lamps that replace the halogen lamps. But the HID lamps need to use electronic ignitors as well. All the necessary items for the conversion are included. It's pretty straighforward. You just need to make room for the ignitors in the SERK headlight nacelle. FD's are easy! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Thanks Hoist!

This helps me for looking at making the decision to go HID, by the way what watt bulbs did you get? Or is there only one that works?

Mark
2008 VW GTI

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

no wattage on HID, just color spec
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:01 AM »

no wattage on HID, just color spec

Thanks Neil,

I thought the 8000K was a wattage rating, sorry for my ignorance on this subject. Because I have seen advertisementd for 4000k, 6000k, 8000k, 11000k.

Which was confusing, and as most of the people on here you always want the biggest and best you can get to work!

Mark
2008 VW GTI

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »

this should help

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:38:30 AM »

Thanks Hoist!

This helps me for looking at making the decision to go HID, by the way what watt bulbs did you get? Or is there only one that works?

Mark

The bulbs you use are based on the color you want to project. HID's will emit various color outputs based on their temperature rating. I used the "white" ones. Don't remember the temp. Check Xetronics website or contact H-D Dude! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yeah. like Neal said!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »

HID on low beam w/PIAA xtreme white spots

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »

HID's on High Beam.

Hoist! 8)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »

The bulbs you use are based on the color you want to project. HID's will emit various color outputs based on their temperature rating. I used the "white" ones. Don't remember the temp. Check Xetronics website or contact H-D Dude! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yeah. like Neal said!

AWESOME guys,

Since they don't have Orange I guess I will look into getting the White ones. Unless d00d knows a source for Orange...lol

Mark
2008 VW GTI

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »

Hoist

Hope all's well with you.

RE:  I also have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my spots's

Did you have to install anything to use these bulbs?
where did you purchase the bulbs?

We are working our way back (slowly) from the Sedona run and should be home by Thursday after we play along the PCH from San Diego to Monterey.

SanJoseDuke
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »

Hoist! 8)

$$??

This site is killing me... 

I was debt free after my last deployment - I may need to volunteer to go back to clear the slate again!

Sean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 07:48:59 AM »

Seano me boy....Git yer money out!   :D

It happens to us all here....even me, one of the cheapest sob's ever!!

I do like those lights though...how much???

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »

Seano me boy....Git yer money out!   :D

It happens to us all here....even me, one of the cheapest sob's ever!!

I do like those lights though...how much???

Right about 4 c notes and you'll be done. The difference really is night and day.(pun intended). :2vrolijk_21:

I'll let you take mine for a spin at CHL so you can see the difference first hand.

:indian_chief:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »

Right about 4 c notes and you'll be done. The difference really is night and day.(pun intended). :2vrolijk_21:

I'll let you take mine for a spin at CHL so you can see the difference first hand.

Thats all I need.....to ride a lit up, traxxioned, whatever the hell else done to it bike while there...

I'm screwed... :)

:D :D :D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:01:38 AM »

Thats all I need.....to ride a lit up, traxxioned, whatever the hell else done to it bike while there...

I'm screwed... :)

:D :D :D

Not as badly as you may think.

Traxxion is right on the way home.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »

Not as badly as you may think.

I see that small text...yooooou ebcm....
Another trip could be warranted as I would love too bring the oldster up to ride some backroads...

Nothing like a 74 year old springer front, no back suspension, tubed tires with 20psi in em and friction brakes to liven up the ride...Now thats a bike you need to take for a spin!

Traxxion is right on the way home.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »

Last weekend REGGAB and myself had the "pleasure" of running behind Hoist in the Catskill Mtns and his light output was outstanding. I actually rode using his lights as my OEM ain't worth a ch!t. Definitely money well spent IMO.

Howie

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »

Last weekend REGGAB and myself had the "pleasure" of running behind Hoist in the Catskill Mtns and his light output was outstanding. I actually rode using his lights as my OEM ain't worth a ch!t. Definitely money well spent IMO.

Howie

The HID is nice.  I was behind EH, and GH was behind me.  In comparison, the lit area in front of EH looked like a stadium while the lit area in front of me looked like a hallway illuminated by a nightlight.  Having EH up front definitely made the ride better.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »

powder coated frame
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »

I see that small text...yooooou ebcm....
Another trip could be warranted as I would love too bring the oldster up to ride some backroads...

Nothing like a 74 year old springer front, no back suspension, tubed tires with 20psi in em and friction brakes to liven up the ride...Now thats a bike you need to take for a spin!

Just say when.

Actually, we haven't had anyone stay at the Traxxion Hostle in awhile. Make an appointment, come up and camp with us for a Friday appt. and then we can ride Saturday and you can drive home on Sunday. Easy!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:22:17 AM by Chief »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »

Keep it comin you basserds....What next hid for the 6v oldster..whos light is so dim it flickers...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »

Just say when.

Actually, we haven't had anyone stay at the Traxxion Hostle in awhile. Make an appointment, come up and camp with us for a Friday appt. and then we can ride Saturday and you can drive home on Sunday. Easy!

Thanks Chuck, that sounds like a plan...will do too but maybe in early October....

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »

Howie

Yea, my first and only lesson needed on the benefits of HID was when 2Lane came over for his Traxxion front end and we rode to dinner. On the way home Don was behind me but his headlight was out-shining mine ahead of me. That was an expensive dinner, but worth every penny. I'll never have another bike without HID.

Too bad it took EH so long to figure it out. You can lead a horse to water........

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:22 AM »

Thanks Chuck, that sounds like a plan...will do too but maybe in early October....

Good weather choice. :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »

So with all the HID talk here - anyone else have a probelm with the overhead highway signs being so lit up they affect your night vision?

MV 2013

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

Keep it comin you basserds....What next hid for the 6v oldster..whos light is so dim it flickers...

Miker

at least the oldster has a centerstand
so your already ahead!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »

So with all the HID talk here - anyone else have a probelm with the overhead highway signs being so lit up they affect your night vision?

Kind of. The main problem I had was when I adjusted the lights like I wanted them on low beam, oncoming traffic wasn't too fond of my chosen setting. I've since compromised the low beam setting, which reduces the sign-lighting effect you describe.

Before dropping the beam, the signs were intense and the hi-beam could have been used for hunting coons in the trees. ;D

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

Kind of. The main problem I had was when I adjusted the lights like I wanted them on low beam, oncoming traffic wasn't too fond of my chosen setting. I've since compromised the low beam setting, which reduces the sign-lighting effect you describe.

Before dropping the beam, the signs were intense and the hi-beam could have been used for hunting coons in the trees. ;D

I have the low beam adjusted so the main body of light is on the road ahead.

I have always been flashed at night due to the spots, one of which is aimed a bit at oncoming drivers, obviously they see me.

The high beam are useless on my bike. Same light just splattered haphazardly.

Single bulb HID's do not have a true high beam. The bulb's relative position in the reflector is just moved by  a solenoid. I suppose the best thing to do would be the dual element setup like Don has, but when do you stop on all of the "needed" things?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:37:59 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:32 AM »

I have the low beam adjusted so the main body of light is on the road ahead.

I have always been flashed at night due to the spots, one of which is aimed a bit at oncoming drivers, obviously they see me.

The high beam is useless on my bike. Same light just splatters haphazardly.

Single bulb HID's do not have a true high beam. The bulb's relative position is just moved by  a solenoid. I suppose the best thing to do would be the dual element setup like Don has, but when do you stop on all of the "needed" things?

That's an easy one. "When you sell the bike." :huepfenlol2:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »

A winning lotto ticket, thats all I need...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »

We just threw the bulbs in without any adjustment. I loved the way it bathes the road in lighting. It's bright, but not annoying. Riding in pitch black upstate and was able to see the road and upcoming turns pefectly. Turned off the Hi Beams when oncoming cars approached, which reverted to Low Beam w/Spots. Never got flashed once and was still able to see perfectly. ;)

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 09:42:57 AM »

upgradeing to the H-D dual bulb housing and the HID was problly the best upgrade i did

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:19 AM »

i installed a different brand in my fltr,

You know the rules no posting like this without details and

:worthless:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »

Left about 6:00 yesterday morning riding the Road Glide up to Kansas City to meet a couple friends.  The plan was to then ride out to a Chinese place in Ogallala, NE.  Got word while still about a half hour from their place that they'd awakened with a sick kid so no babysitting for the day and they were out for the ride.  So I kept on going.  And going and going and going. 

Finally got off the bike about 9:00 this morning back at my house.  During the long great overnight had some foothills and some Plains spent awhile paying close attention to what the headlight was doing. 

The SERG has the reflector that is the European variant in it.  With a couple of good bulbs in it it's surprisingly not bad.  It's still not as good as the HID in the SEEG though.  Unlike what the SEEG was the SERG is at least rideable at night.  On anything other then long straight roads the SEEG was simply dangerous.

The SERG with the dual H4s is at that annoying line between potentially "good enough" but yet obviously not as good as the other bike or as good as what it could be.  Since there is such an obvious SEEG to SERG comparison to be made anytime I hope from one to the other now guess it'll get the HIDs too before too much time passes.  HID on top of this better reflector should scare the opossum chitless.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »

Maybe I could come out and we could ride the sisters together, then you could make an informed decision

(sounds dirty doesn't it  :coolblue:)

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

Maybe I could come out and we could ride the sisters together, then you could make an informed decision

(sounds dirty doesn't it  :coolblue:)

oooooh

Ok, this is going to sound stupid (yeah, I know, what's new) but after watching the SERG push light out in front of me all last night I do have a plan.  About midnight tonight going to shove them out on the street side by side and run them setting away from the street lights.  Just to see how much difference there really is.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:38 PM »

Your neighbors will really start to wonder now

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »

Your neighbors will really start to wonder now

Like that's anything new....

Ask Ken and Cheri about the paint job on the front porch and why it is the way it is....  :huepfenlol2: :drink:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

Like that's anything new....

Ask Ken and Cheri about the paint job on the front porch and why it is the way it is....  :huepfenlol2: :drink:

Used two different bikes to light up the work area?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:26:47 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

Remember when:
We rode rigid framed bikes with lights that flickered with 1” foam pad with some leather wrapped around a seat pan on the fender and our sleeping bag was tied to the welded in place sissy bar, electric starters were for cars…
We slept in rest areas cause they were close to the highway.
Air shocks, GPS, , stereos, component speakers, high tech raingear heated seats, heated grips, Corbin, Xetronic HID……………………..
Good Lord when does it end?
I’m ordering lights amp and speakers tomorrow (from Jim) and if this nonsense doesn’t end soon I’m going to have to block this site, do parental controls work here?

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

Remember when:
We rode rigid framed bikes with lights that flickered with 1” foam pad with some leather wrapped around a seat pan on the fender and our sleeping bag was tied to the welded in place sissy bar,

Yes.  But then I was too young and stupid to realize that pissing blood at the end of a long day wasn't cool, that old saddletramp sleeping bags really were nasty and my eyes hadn't turned 40 yet and forgot how to see in the damn dark.

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »

LOL
Amen to that!
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

Yes.  But then I was too young and stupid to realize that pissing blood at the end of a long day wasn't cool, that old saddletramp sleeping bags really were nasty and my eyes hadn't turned 40 yet and forgot how to see in the damn dark.

Yeah, but just think, back then you didn't care how you looked or smelled and now you are concerned because your buds let you eat dinner in a fancy restaurant smelling like a pile of
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:35:45 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 12:00:06 AM »

Yeah, but just think, back then you didn't care how you looked or smelled and now you are concerned because you buds let you eat dinner in a fancy restaurant smelling like a pile of

No....  I pretty much don't care now either.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »

No....  I pretty much don't care now either.

One of the benefits of getting older   :bananarock:

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.