Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: New Saddle in Town  (Read 17130 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
New Saddle in Town
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »

So excited I could almost pee.  Was away for about 24 hours and got back to find an unexpected UPS notice on the door.  It's from Jenni's dealership in Ohio.  Only thing coming from there is the new Corbin saddle.

Missed it this afternoon.  Will pick it up at the UPS depot in the morning.  Hope it looks as good as the image in my mind shows it to be. 

Didn't have balls large enough to go dramatic with the look of the saddle for the red bike when I got that saddle.  Wanted the tan ostrich.  But couldn't pull the trigger.  Thanks to TC later found a very nice used tan ostrich at an obscenely cheap price.  Then found out for sure had made a mistake not getting it the first time.

This time went hog wild to begin with.  On the triple red SERG will be a triple red dual tour saddle.  No pictures until (hopefully) tomorrow.  But it'll be this:

Seat Panels: Red Leather
Side Panels: Burgundy
Stud Panels: Candy Red Vinyl
Welt Cord: Burgundy
Studs: Chrome
Stitching Pattern: "Dual Tour"
Stitching Thread: Candy Red 
Heated: Yes

02-SB Standard Oval Backrest (qty 1)
Seating Panel: Red Leather
Side Panel: Candy Red
Welt Cord: Burgundy
Back Plate: Chrome

There's also a chopped tour pak backrest that Jenni got to send along with it all that's been recovered by Corbin to match the saddle.  Hopefully it's all in together tomorrow.

Picture added here so wading through the thread to find them later isn't necessary:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:48:34 PM by Twolanerider »

REGGAB

Re: New Saddle in Town
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:06:17 AM »

That sounds very nice, Don.  Just got my Corbin for Thumper one week ago tomorrow.  Renea and I are both going through the break in period, and after 800+ miles last weekend, neither of us is very fond of the saddle just yet...............Monkey Butt abounds...............but we've received reassurance from many that once we've logged some 1200-1500 miles with the new saddle, we'll grow to love it.  It is, however, leaps and bounds above the stock seat.  Time and miles will tell.   :2vrolijk_21:  Congrats on your new SERG seat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »

Henry, have had several of their saddles over more miles then I'd care to tally on several different bikes.  So I guess my ass kind of knows what to expect.  That has to make the break in/familiarization time easier.  But I'll readily admit I don't know whether the seats break in to us or we break in to them. 

Whichever it is I'd not ride any distance with anything else.  Often don't even begin to appreciate them until the day is a couple of tank fulls old.  Then the more miles you go the more you realize that still being in the saddle isn't just not bad; it's pretty damned ok and so will be the next day.

Got to admit the stock saddle on the SERG is the best stock saddle I've ever had on a Harley.  A little soft.  But for two tanks fulls it's pretty darned good.  The backrest is never in a good spot compared to the seat's sweet spot.  And I'm too spoiled not to have the backrest anymore.  So am looking forward to getting that back on with this new seat too.  But the SERG's stock seat hasn't been bad at all through 300 miles or so.  Couple of times at 500 so far, however, and the dogs are starting to howl.  So looking forward to getting this beastie in hand tomorrow.

Hope you guys get yours all broke in and comfy soon.  If your experienceis anything like mine one day soon you'll just suddenly realize "oh damn, had forgotten about the new seat, this is nice!".

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

Henry, have had several of their saddles over more miles then I'd care to tally on several different bikes.  So I guess my ass kind of knows what to expect.  That has to make the break in/familiarization time easier.  But I'll readily admit I don't know whether the seats break in to us or we break in to them. 

Whichever it is I'd not ride any distance with anything else.  Often don't even begin to appreciate them until the day is a couple of tank fulls old.  Then the more miles you go the more you realize that still being in the saddle isn't just not bad; it's pretty damned ok and so will be the next day.

Got to admit the stock saddle on the SERG is the best stock saddle I've ever had on a Harley.  A little soft.  But for two tanks fulls it's pretty darned good.  The backrest is never in a good spot compared to the seat's sweet spot.  And I'm too spoiled not to have the backrest anymore.  So am looking forward to getting that back on with this new seat too.  But the SERG's stock seat hasn't been bad at all through 300 miles or so.  Couple of times at 500 so far, however, and the dogs are starting to howl.  So looking forward to getting this beastie in hand tomorrow.

Hope you guys get yours all broke in and comfy soon.  If your experienceis anything like mine one day soon you'll just suddenly realize "oh damn, had forgotten about the new seat, this is nice!".

That's what we keep hearing.  This past weekend MJZ was telling me that it WILL (or as you mentioned........we will) break in.  I can't get over how substantial the new saddle is tho'.  Very well built, and HEAVY.  Much better quality than that stock POS.  Never had a Corbin until I got this heated, dual tour.  Always had Mustangs...........and I still have my Mustang Day Tripper I used on the 02 Ultra when I had it stripped down.  Those Mustangs are fine seats, so the Corbin has alot to live up to if it's going to be on par with the Mustang.  The Corbin is much better looking than the Mustang, but "looks" ain't the standard.  "Comfort" for those times we spend all day in the saddle is paramount.  Hopefully we realize the comfort in short order.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »

I can't get over how substantial the new saddle is tho'.  Very well built, and HEAVY. 

Yes, it is.  In every measure you can see.  Just an FYI, that can cause one thing to be more careful with though.

If you take the seat off with the tour pak still on a stock seat is easy to flex a bit.  You have to really be ham fisted to scrape a tour pak with the rear seat bracket. 

The Corbin seat won't flex though.  If you're not careful it can be all too easy to drag the rear seat bracket up the body of the front of the tour pak.  Just something to keep in mind.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »

As you mention I too have had a variety of saddles including a Corbin on my Goldwing. When I got my Indian Chief I had Rich's in Seattle customize the seat for my a$$ and my BSR's. The results for the investment were amazing and I just did the same with the SECU. As with the Corbin, immediately lowered my feet then Rich contours the foam to be a a fit for your butt. He can move you forward or back and eliminate any pressure points. After the fitting and trimming he sends you out for a 15 minute ride to determine any further trimming. The next step is to inlay a gel pad-again at the location of your butt's pressure points and then recover the seat with your choice of the original cover, new vinyl or upgrade to leather. At this point the options are nearly endless given the stock he caries. Everything from carbon vinyl that mimics the look of carbon fiber parts to ostrich or alligator skin. All said and done including the H-D adjustable driver backrest I was out the door for $1000. Similar to the price of the last Corbin I bought and a perfect fit. Folks have literally come from all over the world for this service and he also is very ggod at getting measurements and doing a seat and shipping it. Uses the stock pan and heaters too. This is one of the first things I get done with a new bike and the breaking in period is virtually nill 600 miles and the gel pad is pretty set.
Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

Crap.

I say again.  Crap.

Nothing is ever easy.  Not restaurants, not girls, and certainly not motorcycle parts vendors.  Crap.

Just picked up the saddle from UPS.  The seat panel leather isn't the same tone as the swatch Corbin sent.  Similar, but there's a difference.  On the saddle it's a brighter red.  I can live with that.  There are leather dressings out there that will do what I want with it.  Not that bothered there.

Corbin did the wrong stitch pattern.  Confirmed with two different sales reps at Corbin the name of the stitch pattern I'd picked out.  They did their normal tuck and roll look instead.  It doesn't suck.  I actually like it ok.  It's what's on the black saddle for the red bike.  But it's not what I'd intended.  Will wind down for 24-48 before deciding if I want to push to get it redone (and wait the many weeks for that to happen).

The most annoying thing, however, is that the order didn't arrive complete.  When ordered the saddle also had Jenni order a chopped tour pak backrest to go in with the order so it could be recovered and sewn to match the saddle.  It didn't arrive with the saddle. 

The cost to recover it also is not on the invoice.  As of yet it still seems to be in limbo.  Since it didn't apparently stay with the saddle order can't help but wonder about it actually being covered and sewn to match the saddle?  Might it get the "other" stitching pattern I actually did order for the saddle?  Might aliens have seen it and abducted it for mounting behind the yoke of their interstellar craft?

Will wait a couple of days before even putting this new saddle on the bike.  If it stays I don't want to start dressing the leather seat panels until the backrest is here so they can be treated together to make sure they get darkened up the required bit equally.

I know, grumble grumble grumble.  But stuff doesn't have to be less then correct 80% of the time.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »

2LR, When I made a similar order from Jenny, it came in two separate shipments, seperated by a good bit of time.
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »

Crap.

I say again.  Crap.

Nothing is ever easy.  Not restaurants, not girls, and certainly not motorcycle parts vendors.  Crap.

Just picked up the saddle from UPS.  The seat panel leather isn't the same tone as the swatch Corbin sent.  Similar, but there's a difference.  On the saddle it's a brighter red.  I can live with that.  There are leather dressings out there that will do what I want with it.  Not that bothered there.

Corbin did the wrong stitch pattern.  Confirmed with two different sales reps at Corbin the name of the stitch pattern I'd picked out.  They did their normal tuck and roll look instead.  It doesn't suck.  I actually like it ok.  It's what's on the black saddle for the red bike.  But it's not what I'd intended.  Will wind down for 24-48 before deciding if I want to push to get it redone (and wait the many weeks for that to happen).

The most annoying thing, however, is that the order didn't arrive complete.  When ordered the saddle also had Jenni order a chopped tour pak backrest to go in with the order so it could be recovered and sewn to match the saddle.  It didn't arrive with the saddle. 

The cost to recover it also is not on the invoice.  As of yet it still seems to be in limbo.  Since it didn't apparently stay with the saddle order can't help but wonder about it actually being covered and sewn to match the saddle?  Might it get the "other" stitching pattern I actually did order for the saddle?  Might aliens have seen it and abducted it for mounting behind the yoke of their interstellar craft?

Will wait a couple of days before even putting this new saddle on the bike.  If it stays I don't want to start dressing the leather seat panels until the backrest is here so they can be treated together to make sure they get darkened up the required bit equally.

I know, grumble grumble grumble.  But stuff doesn't have to be less then correct 80% of the time.

man..you and vendors

and, you and bikes for that matter :'(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

2LR, When I made a similar order from Jenny, it came in two separate shipments, seperated by a good bit of time.

That's the willing assumption here too.  When I placed the order I asked that the order to Corbin wait for the backrest to be able to go with it.  Was told it would/should all work together.  Should have known that expecting such was overly optimistic.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »

man..you and vendors

and, you and bikes for that matter :'(

Amen brother Scot.  Amen.

Have already decided I can live with the tuck and roll.  Won't do any leather dressing until it's all here.  But if the seat is on the bike I can at least proceed with any final choices or necessary adjustments with handlebars.  That had to wait until I knew where I'd be sitting.  This new saddle is going to look waaaayyyyyyy funky with the stock backrest on the tour pak.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »

More exclamations of "crap."

It came up awhile back in a conversation with (bad) Howie that Corbin had at some time added a variant to the dual tour saddle options of "with or without tour pak."  Before ordering this saddle I asked a sales rep in California and a sales rep in Florida what the differences were.  Specifically asked before ordering because could see it potentially being a big deal and didn't know the answer.

Was given the answer both times, different people, different days that the difference was "the shape" of the seat.  Wrong...

Just set the saddle on the bike.   Quickly attached the rider's backrest.  While doing so noticed there is no provision for a passenger backrest.  None.

Ordered this seat expecting to keep the chopped tour pak on the bike 90% of the time.  Ordered the tour bak backrest to get recovered to match for that reason.  But expected to sometime later get a matching Corbin oval backrest to allow the option of going with the pak off.  Nope.  Not now.

So the difference between a dual tour seat that with the tour pak as opposed to one without is that Corbin found a way to save a few bucks in production and simply not allow even the option of a passenger backrest in the saddle.  If I'd not specifically asked first I'd be less annoyed.  If not having gotten what seemed like independent verification from one site that what the other site said was accurate would be even less annoyed.  As is, however, I am annoyed that they've foreclosed an option I would like to have had.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »

You are not alone.

Look real close at the fit over the fender too where the rubber stand offs meet... :'(
I had to peel the leather off the pillion back and put the file to it to get the tour pak to even fit!  >:(
I had noticed a mar in the marblized paint after a short run about with Scmoops.  >:(
I have an ra# to send it back after chl...but I am still crampy over it, oh and the nose section is not shaped equally side to side.  :-\

It is a 2 piece...solo with backrest, pillion with no provision for the backrest (crap).  The threading is pulling out and the pan is generally crummy...Sad.   

Miker

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »

You are not alone.

Look real close at the fit over the fender too where the rubber stand offs meet... :'(
I had to peel the leather off the pillion back and put the file to it to get the tour pak to even fit!  >:(
I had noticed a mar in the marblized paint after a short run about with Scmoops.  >:(
I have an ra# to send it back after chl...but I am still crampy over it, oh and the nose section is not shaped equally side to side.  :-\

It is a 2 piece...solo with backrest, pillion with no provision for the backrest (crap).  The threading is pulling out and the pan is generally crummy...Sad.   

Miker

Fortunately so far I'm not seeing any other problems.  It's an old dual tour model.  That's a pan they've been doing for a long long time.  Hopefully nothing else wicked shall this come.

The fit around the tank is better then the stock seat.  Though I did have to bend the tongue down just a tiny bit.  It is both a little closer and a little higher then the stock seat.  Both of which I expected.  In fact the moving closer bit has saved me the cost of a set of handlebars I'll no longer need to change.

Going to take it out for a short run later this afternoon then pull it back off.  Just to check for rubs or other issues that might start to show up.  Fit wise (to both me and the bike) it's pretty much what I expected.  Doesn't mean I'm any less displeased about the other issues though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »

Oh, but I've not set the tour pak back on yet.  Something else to worry about.  Be right back....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.