Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide  (Read 45259 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »

Taking delivery of a 2012 SG this weekend and going to trailer it home on a 3 hour journey.

I plan on tying the front end down using the crash bars and not sure on the rear end, anybody trailered there street glide got some tips?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:22:02 PM by Aussie »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Trailer tie down points for 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »

Loop your tie down in through the frame below the engine guard and then up and out over the top of the engine guard. Cinch down about 1/2 of the front fork travel. For the rear you can loop a soft tie around the rear wheel to keep the rear down and or use the rear foot pegs mounts.

DO NOT USE THE HANDLEBARS for tie down points. They are prone to break.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
Re: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

I use wheel dock, tie off handle bars, engine guards (which flex, not particularly strong or stable). In rear I use I bolt off the rear passenger foot pegs mounting hole which are removed on my bike. Also frame in front of tank is excellent place. Handle bars for stability but don't torque too much.
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

I simply use 2 soft HD hog ties to the front forks just above where the fender is attached. I then use 2 pull straps around the rear tire. One goes to the left and one to the right frame of the trailer. The rear ties are just there to keep the rear tire from bouncing left and right. I've gone many miles tied like this. Bike's front tire has to be resting tightly in a wheel chock to be secure with this approach.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »

Trailered my ultra in the same trailer 12 years ago but don't remember what I did to the rear end as I had a heap of furniture in the trailer at the time moving interstate.

Front tyre will be in chock and tie downs using engine bars the same way HD tie bikes down on shipping crate base, having front forks pulled down approx 2 inches to hold into place.
Then having rear secured into place using either rear foot pegs or chrome support bar in front of saddle bag. Only not sure on how strong this support bar is.
However I don't think a lot of torque would be required on the rear tie down like the front needs, plan is to tension tie down until rear suspension just starts to take load.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:32 AM »

I tow quite often (we do camping trips and take the bikes for day rides). For the front i do the same as HD-Dude, run a set of soft ties over the top of the engine guard, down through the frame. This keeps the tie downs close to the frame so the engine guard isn't stressed. In the rear I tie to the front part of the saddle bag supports. The bike is extremely stable!! I tow mine in the back of a 37' 5th wheel, can't see it, don't know what it is doing as I bounce down these crappy California highways, but it has never moved.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »

If you use the rear passenger peg mounts and you have a long trip, check them often, if they're not good heavy duty straps, they will wear on the edges of the support.

I prefer to tie down the back wheel.  For the front, either a wheel chock bolted down, or soft straps around the frame near the crash bar.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

get a wheel dock.com

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

I tow quite often (we do camping trips and take the bikes for day rides). For the front i do the same as HD-Dude, run a set of soft ties over the top of the engine guard, down through the frame. This keeps the tie downs close to the frame so the engine guard isn't stressed. In the rear I tie to the front part of the saddle bag supports. The bike is extremely stable!! I tow mine in the back of a 37' 5th wheel, can't see it, don't know what it is doing as I bounce down these crappy California highways, but it has never moved.
Got a link to hd dude so I can check it out.
Cheers

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »

I simply use 2 soft HD hog ties to the front forks just above where the fender is attached. I then use 2 pull straps around the rear tire. One goes to the left and one to the right frame of the trailer. The rear ties are just there to keep the rear tire from bouncing left and right. I've gone many miles tied like this. Bike's front tire has to be resting tightly in a wheel chock to be secure with this approach.

X2
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

kuryakin makes these tiedown points that bolt to the fork. simply place the hook on your strap thru the crook in the leg and cinch it down to the tension you desire. they don't look all that bad either

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »

kuryakin makes these tiedown points that bolt to the fork. simply place the hook on your strap thru the crook in the leg and cinch it down to the tension you desire. they don't look all that bad either
I have thought of getting them....I think I will now that i have heard of a satisfied owner.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

I have thought of getting them....I think I will now that i have heard of a satisfied owner.

Harley offered these in the new catalogue for the front. A little pricey but definitely cheaper than some repair paint work.

Also, see if the dealer has any of the small rear wheel tie downs. I have a few that I use on occasion.

Regards

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:43:10 PM by CVOStreetglide »

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »

I just put these on my SESG. They fit snug under the turn signals, so they dont jump out as you look at the bike, and come with new hardware.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4136/Tie-Down-Brackets
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

I would like to see a photo of this.... It doesn't rub any painted areas???

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »

Taking delivery of a 2012 SG this weekend and going to trailer it home on a 3 hour journey.

I plan on tying the front end down using the crash bars and not sure on the rear end, anybody trailered there street glide got some tips?
Do not use the crash bars as they bend! If you are using an enclosed trailer use extra tie downs as you can't see the bike while towing. Make sure the ratcheting mechanisms of the straps will not bang on any surfaces. If the trailer has no wheel chocks, bolt 2 4x4's to the floor along either side of the front wheel to hold it in place. (not the best method, but I've done it in a pinch)

mark

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »

No one could be more picky than me regarding their paint and chrome...here's my setup..

Bike-Pro wheel chock

2 sets of HD straps (4 straps total)

2 sets of soft strap covers (fuzzy covers for straps so they don't saw into paint or chrome).

Put two straps on each handlebar and cinch down, but not gorilla tight

The soft strap will protect any paint and chrome.  Transported this way many times...never a bad trip.  There's really no good place on the rear of a SG to hook any straps.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »

Here are the Kuryakyn teardrops on my SESG

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

Here are the Kuryakyn teardrops on my SESG
Where do you tie the rear of the bike to stop it from moving side ways.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

From the front.
I havent had trouble with the rear moving around. I used to put a strap through the rear tire, or over the seat with a pad between the strap and seat.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »

Agreed, I own a towing company and we've hauled many harleys for road america. We use our enclosed and tie them down like you mentioned for years and never had a problem or a single scratch. Plus the bike rides on it's own suspension. Much better than pulling the shocks down tight.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:05:34 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

Been using a Condor chock for 12 years.......never pull my forks down. Soft ties off the bag guards at frame with ratchets pulling to the front. Have trailered 1000's of miles over good and bad roads, never a problem or scratch. I know many won't agree with no front ties, but not compressing forks is important to me.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »

Partial compressing the forks will not hurt anything. Not sure why anyone thinks it would. Just don't pull them  down  to end of travel, leave a little room for them to move. Rear bag guards on the other hand are a very bad idea, regardless of how far you've already gone, or how long you been doing it. Just not safe, you can bend them a strong kick, the only reason you haven't experienced damage is you have not had a bad incident. I pull down on front using a KIWI Indian frt bike mounted bracket (google it) and from frame forwad adjacent to rear foot peg bracket and also use a Condor mount.
The next time you tie to those rear bag guards just think "are these strong enough to hold the bike if bike/trailer were on its side"? and the answer is no, they are not. You are correct in pulling forward, but there are other factors beside just holding it upright going down the road.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

WOW!! You are probably right. I had never looked at it from a worst case.....don''t know why I never thought about a wreck. Will revisit my tiedown methods before next haul. Thanks for an eyeopener!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »

Been using a Condor chock for 12 years.......never pull my forks down. Soft ties off the bag guards at frame with ratchets pulling to the front. Have trailered 1000's of miles over good and bad roads, never a problem or scratch. I know many won't agree with no front ties, but not compressing forks is important to me.

There's really no need to compress the forks, at least on heavier bikes. I've trailered many many miles and I've always used HD hog ties around each front fork where the fender attaches with a front chock. The rear is simply fastened through the wheel on each side to the frame of the trailer. That's it for trailering straps for my CVO Ultra.

For my dirt bikes I also use a chock but I do strap to the handlebars and compress the front forks because these bikes are much lighter. I then use the same tie down approach for the rear tires that I use on my Harley.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

the only thing i do additional to the wheel chock and tie downs   is  for my convertible  i have a 4x4  block of wood i screwed a thick piece of rubber splash mat like the one you see off semi's
i place the block of wood rubber side facing up under the frame when i tighten the straps it will tighted against  the block of wood your bike is now 1 with your trailer
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »

A few years ago I waved a guy over that was hauling a Wing on an open trailer.....the front tie downs had come un-hooked. He was using a wheel chock and the open style hooks all around and had the rear tire tied to each side of the trailer frame. He said he had to brake extremely hard to avoid a collision. The front suspension had compressed enough under the hard braking that the open hooks had drooped and come un-hooked.

Since then I have been using carribeaners or "add-a-links" screw on links to ensure that this cant happen. 

One of my next purchases will be a new set of tiedowns with "safety" hooks .

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

I have a set of the Power Ties and they are more than worth the money.  They come with the soft ties attached so don't have to add any and provide another potential weak spot. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

A few years ago I waved a guy over that was hauling a Wing on an open trailer.....the front tie downs had come un-hooked. He was using a wheel chock and the open style hooks all around and had the rear tire tied to each side of the trailer frame. He said he had to brake extremely hard to avoid a collision. The front suspension had compressed enough under the hard braking that the open hooks had drooped and come un-hooked.

Since then I have been using carribeaners or "add-a-links" screw on links to ensure that this cant happen. 

One of my next purchases will be a new set of tiedowns with "safety" hooks .

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2

Another good reason to fasten straps to the front forks at the fender bracket. From this point there will never be any slack due to hard braking since it’s below the point where the shocks compress.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »

Another good reason to fasten straps to the front forks at the fender bracket. From this point there will never be any slack due to hard braking since it’s below the point where the shocks compress.

When I bought my first Harley, this is how the dealership told me to tie down the bike.  They explained to me that if forks could compress if tied somewhere else and the front tire slip.  Also, it prevents over compression of the forks as there is no compression when tied this way.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

mark

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

When I bought my first Harley, this is how the dealership told me to tie down the bike.  They explained to me that if forks could compress if tied somewhere else and the front tire slip.  Also, it prevents over compression of the forks as there is no compression when tied this way.

I understand the compression issue and like the concept, but doesn't that put the strap rubbing on the fender and chrome front fork?  Even with a soft strap, you'd have strap on paint...have you had any problems with that?  I'd hate to cinch down my bike in this manner and then stop 200 mi. later to discover the strap rubbed thru the paint...can't imagine what a painted CVO fender would cost ($1,000?). 

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

From the front.
I havent had trouble with the rear moving around. I used to put a strap through the rear tire, or over the seat with a pad between the strap and seat.
How close to the tank are they on full lock.
A few pictures would be handy to see what clearance there would be.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »

I understand the compression issue and like the concept, but doesn't that put the strap rubbing on the fender and chrome front fork?  Even with a soft strap, you'd have strap on paint...have you had any problems with that?  I'd hate to cinch down my bike in this manner and then stop 200 mi. later to discover the strap rubbed thru the paint...can't imagine what a painted CVO fender would cost ($1,000?). 

Soft strap never touches paint when wrapped around the fork at the fender attachment point. Its wrapped around chrome, or unpolished aluminum if your front forks aren't chrome.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »

Soft strap never touches paint when wrapped around the fork at the fender attachment point. Its wrapped around chrome, or unpolished aluminum if your front forks aren't chrome.
[/quote

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »

The tie down doesnt get near the gas tank, it stops a couple inches before, and clears the lowers by about an inch. It's hard to see but maybe this will help.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »

this is the front with the forks at left lock

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

Last October my buddy bought a SERG in NC. We went out with a trailer to pick it up
and the dealer loaded it in the trailer and tied it down. He used a strap thru the frame
cross brace in the front and a strap across the seat in the back. We went over a thousand
miles with no problems. Oh, we had a Condor, and he thought a little bit of down force
with the front strap would add a little safety measure.
 I also saw the owners trailer that had a couple of bikes strapped down in it.
He had a strap around each front axle for a tie down. He believed that it was best
because you had no fork pressure.
 Another point, they said HD doesn't use tie downs anymore on the shipment of
new bikes. I did not see one on the the pallet, but think he was telling the truth. 
The "TAZMUN"

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »

Another point, they said HD doesn't use tie downs anymore on the shipment of
new bikes. I did not see one on the the pallet, but think he was telling the truth. 
They must have stopped using tie downs on pallets this year then, I saw a SG tied down from the Engine guard/Crash bar in July of last year.

Where do they tie them down now?

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »

For those that use a wheel chock is there any trick to getting the bike off the chock.
I found it easy to load onto the chock but a 2 man job to get it off.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »

For those that use a wheel chock is there any trick to getting the bike off the chock.
I have the Bike Pro chocks in my trailer and the room that we store the bikes in.  I have found that if I ease the bike into the chock that there is no problem getting it out.  But if I run the bike in pretty hard it is a pain to get it out.  Hope that helps.

SLO-POK3

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »

I must be missing something on the photos. I have a 2012 sg cvo with chrome front end. I do have the fuzzy straps mentioned in earlier posting. My question, where are you wrapping your straps around the forks at so they do not scratch the fender but secure your bike.

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »

I have the kury bolt on tie downs work great / on the way to tenn
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

headed back to mich switched tie downs to new bike they work well
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

The tie down doesnt get near the gas tank, it stops a couple inches before, and clears the lowers by about an inch. It's hard to see but maybe this will help.

Thanks

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »

I have a wheel chock and about to relocate the position I tie bike down in trailer, currently need to walk around rear of bike to get to opposite side to tie down bike at front end. Relocating chock will give me access to both tie downs at front of bike rather than walking around from side to side.
Now that I am relocating chock, what is the most practical position/distance apart to set my ancors on trailer floor.
How far forward from front axle is the optimum position for best results and securing bike in position?
I am using Kuryakyn tie down brackets on front forks as shown in picture.

Here is what I am thinking, set ancors in line with chock/front of wheel and about 2 feet or so from wheel centre on both sides, this will have force pulling down on ancors and not pulling outward, away from forks sides.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »

Proposed position of tie down looking side on.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

Front view approx 2 feet from wheel centre, however I may go as wide as I can in trailer.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »

Proposed position of tie down looking side on.

You need something FAR MORE SUBSTANTIAL than your turn signal to hook on to.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

You need something FAR MORE SUBSTANTIAL than your turn signal to hook on to.

Look at the pics again. It's not hooked to the TS.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »

THOSE ARE HIDEOUS!!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »

I would put the tie downs a little wider apart. when cornering, or if you ever get on a side slope, you want more of the weight distributed to the ties, so less force is being put on your front wheel in the chock.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »

I have the Bike Pro chocks in my trailer and the room that we store the bikes in.  I have found that if I ease the bike into the chock that there is no problem getting it out.  But if I run the bike in pretty hard it is a pain to get it out.  Hope that helps.

You can do one of 2 things....

Let some air out of the front tire or use a tie down frome the rear and rachet it down to pull the bike back off the chock.
I guess you could do both but it isn't necessary.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »

I have a Kendon Dual trailer. The bikes sit close to the outside of the trailer making it a little tricky to tie down the outside rear of the bike.

For the front slip straps over the guard around the frame back under the guard where both the frame and the engine guard cross.

(Using a rope only for better picture clarity!)

For the rear: This X type of strapping (where the top of the X is the bike and the bottom of the X is the trailer) gives strong tie points that prevent shifting and bouncing.

Tie a strap to the inside footpeg close to the frame and down between the frame and exhaust (Not on the exhaust) then run the strap under the bike to the outside connection point on the trailer.

(Using a rope only for better picture clarity!)

Tie a strap to the outside footpeg close to the frame and down between the frame and exhaust (Not on the exhaust) then run the strap under the bike to the inside connection point on the trailer.

If you tie an outside rear bike connection to the outside trailer connection then the bike will shift to the inside during the haul loosening the straps. You usually end up with ties like these "| \", "\ \" "/ |", "/ /" when you need "/ \" or "X".
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »

OK, heres an update,
I have trailered my bike several times with no problems at all, 350 klms trips each way.

I use the HD wheel chock and Kuryakyn fork brackets to tie the front into place.
I only pull the front end down about 1-1-1/2", just enough to locking the wheel into place to eliminate excess pressure on the rim (side load).
I used the rear foot pegs to stop rear from walking around, pulling forward towards wheel chock, this really locks the bike with trailer.

NOW, here is what I am looking for... A bracket similar to the Kuryakyn fork bracket I can bolt on behind the rear foot peg.
This will eliminate wrapping microfiber cloths around foot pegs to protect them against tie strap damage (soft hooks).

Also I will be able to use a hooked tie down rather than soft hook and tie down strap 'Making it easier and quicker'.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »

Made these tie down brackets to match the fork mounted Kuryakyn ones, they mount behind the passenger pegs using existing mounting bolts.
Just need to get them chrome now.

This will save damaging footpeg brackets making it easier and quicker to tie rear end down from scatting side to side.

What do you think of them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:02:15 AM by Aussie »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »

Looking from the front, behind the passenger peg.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:59:48 AM by Aussie »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »

Side on

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »

Good idea! Those'll be nice chromed up.  

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »

google how to tie down a motorcycle. You will find a few good explanations.

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

THOSE ARE HIDEOUS!!
beauty lies in the eye of the beholder i suppose. i've trailerd a butt load of miles using that system and have never so much as nicked a speck of paint.
now what would be hidious is to arrive at your destiation and open the ramp door and find your scoot laying against the bike beside it and all tore up.

THAT'S THE DEFINATION OF HIDEOUS

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »

One trick is to get the nose of the trailer up either by parking on an incline or by detaching the trailer from the tow vehicle and raising it up just be sure to set the fold down rear stabiliziers before you roll it off if you've detached from the tow vehicle.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »

Made these tie down brackets to match the fork mounted Kuryakyn ones, they mount behind the passenger pegs using existing mounting bolts.
Just need to get them chrome now.

This will save damaging footpeg brackets making it easier and quicker to tie rear end down from scatting side to side.

What do you think of them.
Like them!!

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

Good idea! Those'll be nice chromed up.  

X2 :2vrolijk_21:
I got back from New Mexico near the end of July and had mine tied down using passenger boards as instructed and Semi Tight on the crash bar using a wheel chock, Bolt broke on one of the passenger boards @ the frame and bike fell over causing $5100.00 damage. They said boards must have been over-torqued at one time cracking the bolt, bad news for me!!! Still waiting for painted inner fairing from Factory.
MNTransplant

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »

For me I've always liked the idea of redundancy - having 2 tie down points on either side so if one loosens up and starts to fail, the bike stays put. That said, I still managed to knock my previous bike over on the trailer because I drove in pouring rain to work, then drove after work to the dealer. The rain loosened up the ties, and I made the fatal mistake of not rechecking/tightening before leaving work in the PM. Fell over as I turned into the dealership... I've been afraid ever since of using the trailer. And that was before moving up to a bike that wasn't 10 years old, and cost 4 times the price as the last one new...

I'd love to know the method HD themselves uses.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

I'd love to know the method HD themselves uses.
Depending on what bike you have here is a picture of a Road Glide tied down from Crash bars and frame down tubes.

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »

Depending on what bike you have here is a picture of a Road Glide tied down from Crash bars and frame down tubes.

Thanks. Should have mentioned FLHXSE3, but those strap points look like they would still work (just going by memory at the moment), even w/ the lowers if they went forward enough.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »

Pick up a pack of those soft polishing cloth and put them everywhere a strap touches the bike. All straps will eventually rub the surfaces raw without them.

jb

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

For those that trailer there bike can I have some details on ties point dimensions,
For front end distance between tie points on trailer bed, I currently have 1400 centres on my old trailer and in the process of building a new trailer, any ideas of a better centre distance between these tie points and how far forward from the axle centre to wheel chock.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »

New rear tie down brackets finished and chromed to match the front ones.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by Aussie »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.