Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radio Performance  (Read 2626 times)

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Radio Performance
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »

Has anyone had a problem with the antenna and radio reception when a  fairing antenna is used. I put a 4 point dock on the bike and had to go to the hidden antenna. My radio reception dropped by miles.  In a test with a buddy he tuned to a station with great reception that I could not receive, we rode toward the city and the station and it was almost twenty miles before I could get the station that he was on!!! Dealer has been good and will replace the antenna with a "new and improved' antenna from Harley.  Wonder if it's the antenna, the install or even the amp location next to the antenna.  Thanks.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
Re: Radio Performance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:42:12 AM »

Harley has an amplified Boom antenna now - When I got out of the city in the DFW area it worked fine.  Not sure about the sticks, I'll find that out next weekend.  All in all, you can't beat the stock set up other than the looks.  I like the clean look without that damn thing back there now.  All I really care about is the WB really, the IPOD runs fun time otherwise.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »

i have the Tune Trapper..   they suck too. They advertise, no power needed and stuff like theirs work.  They work like crap.   But they look good.  8)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »

Has anyone had a problem with the antenna and radio reception when a  fairing antenna is used. I put a 4 point dock on the bike and had to go to the hidden antenna. My radio reception dropped by miles.  In a test with a buddy he tuned to a station with great reception that I could not receive, we rode toward the city and the station and it was almost twenty miles before I could get the station that he was on!!! Dealer has been good and will replace the antenna with a "new and improved' antenna from Harley.  Wonder if it's the antenna, the install or even the amp location next to the antenna.  Thanks.

Yep, shorter antennas and internal antennas sucked for me so I returned them and went back to the factory antennas which by far have the best for reception range.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

I installed a powered under the fairing ant. and love it. works as good as the old one, and better looking. Plus I never have to move it when I remove the tour pak...
Semper Fidelis

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »

Other than experimenting with the location of the antenna in the fairing, I don't know of any secret that will make the typical hidden antenna work all that well.  Those that seem to work well are usually in area's that have a lot of high powered local stations, or wide open spaces where there is less interference and signal blocking by structures.

If you really listen to the radio all that much, look into a satellite setup.  Or just bite the bullet and reinstall the external antenna.  There comes a point where function is much more important than appearance, even on a Harley.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »

I have an aftermarket fairing antenna but cannot remember who makes it although its not an HD version.  It has always worked fine  :nixweiss:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:41:35 AM »

I just got the "new and improved" H-D hidden antennae.
I have the original one as well but never installed it because I didn't like the stock mounting method and never got around to designing something I liked.

According to the description, the "new" version is suppose to perform as well as a regular whip:

" .... Uniquely tuned to the Harley-Davidson® radio, this enhanced Hidden Antenna offers reception performance equivalent to the Original Equipment whip antenna and superior to the Boom!™ Audio Shorty Antenna. Perfect for your clean slick custom bagger, this enhanced Hidden Antenna offers reception performance equivalent to the Original Equipment whip antenna and superior to the Boom!™ Audio Shorty Antenna. ....."

We'll see ...
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »

Rich. Please let us know if that antenna is any better or worth it.  I'm very dissatisfied with the tune trapper I bought.  I'm ready to go babk to the whip already.   :nixweiss:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »

^^

Count on it  :)
TIF2

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »

Thanks for the info...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »

Got the new H-D hidden antennae installed and for the most part I am impressed with performance. However, not sure that I am the best judge. I rarely (if ever) listen to the radio so I really don't know if the reception is outstanding or not. But, I seem to be able to pull all the stations I can get in a car with about the same clarity. I thought about going through the list of stations and charting distance - if I find the time I'll do a quick chart.

Additionally, initial findings are with the bike sitting in the basement which is far from ideal for reception.

So far I give it a big  :2vrolijk_21:

For those that don't know, the "new" H-D antennae is P&A part number 76000266 and retails for $59.95.
Worth the money in my book but as I said ... I am probably not the best reviewer for this particular device.
TIF2

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »

I bought one yesterday.  Just put it in so far so good. The shorty was terrible. This seems to have much better reception. So far so good.  I don't use the fm a whole lot, but when I do,   I want more than just static.  So this seems to be pretty good.   :2vrolijk_21: for now. 

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.