Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Boom GTS and external GPS  (Read 942 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
New Boom GTS and external GPS
« on: March 10, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »

On my '17 and now my '18 I've added an external GPS - Garmin Zumo 590 - and wired it in to the connector on the radio and had the dealer flash for Aux audio.  That way I can get the nav prompts from my Zumo.

Just wondering if the new Boom GTS will work the same way.  Anyone tried it yet?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Glenncarp

Re: New Boom GTS and external GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »

On my '17 and now my '18 I've added an external GPS - Garmin Zumo 590 - and wired it in to the connector on the radio and had the dealer flash for Aux audio.  That way I can get the nav prompts from my Zumo.

Just wondering if the new Boom GTS will work the same way.  Anyone tried it yet?

Used 2019 yesterday. Markedly improved DPS in new system. Wondering why you want to use external. You can always hear prompts through radio or headphones

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

Glenn, I know the new GPS boots way faster and that is one objection to the first generation which I have.  But primarily I have found that without inserting multiple via points / way points to force the H-D GPS to follow my designed route it will consistently deviate and short cut me diagonally to the next turn rather than follow the selected road and make the turn.  It has put me (or tried to do so once I became more aware) on some truly awful roads.  And yes I did verify that my routing preference was faster time and not shorter distance.  Sure hope the new Boom GTS version is improved in that regard.  But I prefer my Garmin Zumo as it does a much better job of following the route(s) I design.

IBA member # 45520

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »

Glenn, I know the new GPS boots way faster and that is one objection to the first generation which I have.  But primarily I have found that without inserting multiple via points / way points to force the H-D GPS to follow my designed route it will consistently deviate and short cut me diagonally to the next turn rather than follow the selected road and make the turn.  It has put me (or tried to do so once I became more aware) on some truly awful roads.  And yes I did verify that my routing preference was faster time and not shorter distance.  Sure hope the new Boom GTS version is improved in that regard.  But I prefer my Garmin Zumo as it does a much better job of following the route(s) I design.

Ahh, agree. Found that using Tyre to plan routs and then importing the GPX file lets you follow the route as you planned exactly. What is also nice is that Tyre uses Google maps as the route planner. I have used it on my '16 since 2016. Played with a '19 this weekend and route did not work from Tyre, still trying to figure out what I did differently. I know when I opened Tyre this weekend, there was an update. Have to see if it changed some of  the settings somewhere.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »

Used 2019 yesterday. Markedly improved DPS in new system. Wondering why you want to use external. You can always hear prompts through radio or headphones

Have you used the GTS for a trip?  While it is much easier to see the screen, and boots way faster the software needs lots of work at the very least.

Stop and get gas, and it reroutes you on back roads for the rest of the trip.  So you have to select avoid hwy, let it recalculate.  The deselect avoid hwy and it now will put you back on interstate.

Destinations, 6 out of ten time were on the opposite side of the road from what it tells you.  Distance to turn is way off, you will go by every turn if you listen to it. 

Get a phone call and the iPhone does not resume playing music when call is over.  You have to make another call, and then hang up for music to resume.

Shut the bike off get gas, and start it the iPhone does not resume playing unless you unplug it and plug it back in.

Those are just a small example of the crap.

I do not have much faith in HD to get it fixed.  They are still trying to correct issues in the GT from 2014, five years later
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »

Have you used the GTS for a trip?  While it is much easier to see the screen, and boots way faster the software needs lots of work at the very least.

Stop and get gas, and it reroutes you on back roads for the rest of the trip.  So you have to select avoid hwy, let it recalculate.  The deselect avoid hwy and it now will put you back on interstate.

Destinations, 6 out of ten time were on the opposite side of the road from what it tells you.  Distance to turn is way off, you will go by every turn if you listen to it. 

Get a phone call and the iPhone does not resume playing music when call is over.  You have to make another call, and then hang up for music to resume.

Shut the bike off get gas, and start it the iPhone does not resume playing unless you unplug it and plug it back in.

Those are just a small example of the crap.

I do not have much faith in HD to get it fixed.  They are still trying to correct issues in the GT from 2014, five years later
Sometimes the Garmin will do that BUT the user has the OPTION to recalculate or not.  After I get back on the route after a gas / rest / lunch stop, etc., I can select do not recalculate and all is OK.  I do not like the forced auto recalc on the H-D gps (among many other things).

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »

Think I found my answer.  The 3.5mm Aux Input Kit, 69200907, which is what I used to get nav prompts passed from my Garmin RT Zumo 590 shows fitment for MY2019 bikes.  So I would hope and think once it is installed and the unit flashed to enable the Aux it would pass the nav prompts.

Not looking for an new bike but like to stay up to date on options because there will come a time.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 25 queries.