Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Side swiped  (Read 2066 times)

johnnyg55ad

Side swiped
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »

Sat morning @ about 8:30 I was riding my newly acquired FLHRSEI2 (5200 mi traded my 06 street glide for it on 5/29) to work. I was doing about 50 in a 55, in the right hand lane when a 17 year old male made a left turn from the far side street swinging into my lane, sideswiping me. I was lucky to be on the right side of the lane close to the shoulder. I went down and hit the deck hard, but nothing else, end result I walked (limped) away after an ambulance ride to the ER. I don't have the official word on my bike, but I don't think it will be a total. I know this is a limited edition model, can I get some feedback on if it is repaired how much it will effect the value of the bike? BTW I was wearing a skid lid helmet, and it did it's job, a whiteness said I bounced my head hard on the asphalt, and I'm hear to tell you about it. Above everything else I am very grateful to be hear and have the opportunity to ride again. For me riding is not skin deep, it's to the bone. My prayers go out to those, and their loved ones who were not as fortunit.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Side swiped
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

Glad to hear you walked away Johnny! Stuff can be replaced, it's tougher with humans. If you fix the damaged parts on the bike back to their original condition, there should be no impact on the resale value of the bike.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

First, Welcome to the site  :welcome_005: and sorry to hear about your accident.  I'm happy you are ok and happier that you were wearing a helmet.  I hope your scooter received little damage and can be put back together.  ::)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

Glad to hear your OK.  Had that happen to a friend a couple weeks ago, he avoided the idiot in the car but in doing so his leather saddlebag caught the rear bumper or something on the rear of another car and sent his spinning.  He did the tuck and roll  and ended up with a few scrapes and bruises, but the scrapes on his helmet showed him how lucky he was!  Glad to hear your OK, look at the bright side, you get to go bike shopping again !!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »

Sorry to hear of your incident and glad your mostly intact!

As far as the financial impact on your ride...if it's repaired back to it's previous condition, there will be little if any impact on value.  Just be sure all the damage is identified - and is repaired by a competent shop.  Hopefully your (or the 17 year old's) insurance provider will take care all cost...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »

Glad to hear that your injuries were minor......cage drivers will never give a motorcycle any respect :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

charlie

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »

Glad to hear you are OK

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »

Glad to hear your ok and the bike can be fixed back to like new.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

Very glad to read that you came out of this with minimal physical damage.  Be sure and have the scooter fixed as Sandabar mentioned above by a competent shop and you'll be put back 'whole' again.  Did the cage operater get ticketed?  :nixweiss: Good luck and ride safe.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad you survived. From what I hear if that little tab between the Lower frame downtubes is bent due to the crashbar, it could be considered a "Total", especially on those older "One Piece Frames". That being said I have also seen where they cut the neck off and sent it back to the motherland and they would stamp your serial number on a new frame and you are back in business, Probably depends on the insurance provider covering the repairs. Whatever happens - Good luck to you.
MNTransplant

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »

Glad you walked away, good luck on getting the bike repaired or replaced.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Kickst@nd

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE
    • CVO2: On list for 2013 CVO Road or Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »

Wow, glad you are ok.  The biggest thing is to have a reputable shop check everything out.  Sometimes the frame gets tweaked and then it is totaled.  Everything else really is just cosmetic and can be replaced back to new.  Sometimes on an older CVO getting skins is a problem.

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

Best news is you survived to ride again!  I hope the kid that hit you stopped and had insurance.  I had a accident one year ago.  I went down riding my 09 Street Glide in the mountains.  I too experienced one of those "ghost" spots on the back of my skid lid.  The bike was only damaged on the right side and not very bad.  I thought even at H-D prices, the damage might be $4k to $5K.  Because the little steel tab that connects the crash bar to the frame was cracked, H-D required the frame to be replaced.  Progressive Insurance had no problem paying for a new frame.  Because the frame was replaced, the bill came to over $12,000.00!  I traded the wrecked bike in.  After being repaired, my dealer sold the bike.  In Louisiana, the dealer has to acknowledge the bike was in a crash and has been repaired.  However, they sold it for about what I paid for it new 2 1/2 years earlier.  I say all this to say, I really don't think the accident will affect your resale value!  It did not on mine!  By the way, Progressive Insurance was great to deal with after my accident!  Ride safe!
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.