Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Washing vs. quick detailer  (Read 6656 times)

rscamarochad

Washing vs. quick detailer
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

I have a new FXDSE2, and I gotta say I am more of a riding kinda guy than I am a cleaning kinda guy.  I am scared Sh****** to take a hose to my bike and wash it, so I have been using MOCO Quick Detailer,  Amonia Free Glass Foam, Turtle Wax Ice and lots and lots of polishing trying to keep everything looking mint.  I really don't have the money right now to drop $400 on a master blaster to dry the bike following a wash, and frankly I can see no other way to pull off a successful wash but blasting the water off when your finished.   Am I being overly cautious?  I have been super super careful not to scratch up my chrome and paint.  I always use either MOCO detailing cloths or microfiber towels, and I always try to blow off the dust prior to using any kind of quick detailer, even still I can already see fine swirls on some of the chrome pieces, and next to the ignition switch I have one sizeable scratch that almost looks like a gouge, and God only knows how that got there.  I have already had to use some paint swirl remover on the right and left sides of the gas tank nearest the seat, because I discovered that my jeans have evidently been rubbing that area when I ride(I have since adjusted how I ride).  I may just be a perfectionist, and I know my bike will age eventually especially given how much I ride it,  I just want to make that aging process as graceful as possible.  Is the way to go washing a bike with water or using a quick detailer?  I got caught in a 'bottom fell out' rain storm once and it took me almost a week with quick detailer and soft cloths to restore the shine to my bike.   I am going freaking nuts trying to keep this thing clean.  HELP ME PLEASE SEASONED RIDERS!  I'm a newbie and the way things are going now I am going to go crazy keeping this bike clean.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Washing vs. quick detailer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »

I've found the only way to get a bike really clean is to wash it with soap & water.....just don't spray the water under direct pressure into certain areas (like electrics/electronics/etc.) and dry off with a towel will be fine.  Riding on a wet/greasy road is hard to recover from any other way than a washing.....then detail to your heart's content from there.  (see the Glare thread to deal with the swirls, etc.)  :P har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

I've found the only way to get a bike really clean is to wash it with soap & water.....just don't spray the water under direct pressure into certain areas (like electrics/electronics/etc.) and dry off with a towel will be fine.  Riding on a wet/greasy road is hard to recover from any other way than a washing.....then detail to your heart's content from there.  (see the Glare thread to deal with the swirls, etc.)  :P har!  spyder

I fire up the leaf blower to get water off bike..........seems to work pretty good

detailer works good on paint but to really clean areas like suspension and brakes you need to wash
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

Just wash it with a good soap like Glare Ultra Wash and plenty of low pressure water, like one of of those garden nozzles with a shower setting.  Your machine will be fine.  Think about it...........if you're skittish of using a hose, you better pray you never get caught in the rain.............and that will happen.   :2vrolijk_21:

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »

Last time i washed mine was about a month ago when we came back from the NC HOG RALLY, We hit a couple of rain showers, But i use a quick detailer just about everytime i ride it. The bike will be 2 years old next month and has 10,900 miles on it and looks like it just came off of showroom floor. I done the samething with my low rider it was 2 1/2 years old with 15,000 miles on it. I wax it 3 or 4 times a year, before and after we go to the beach. Everything i use is by Meguiar's, Gold Class wash, Tech-Wax NXT and ULTIMATE DETAILER.

07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »

yeah - question about this.  Got caught in a down pour two weeks or so ago, so I did a total, under the fenders, undercarriage total wash with the Mr. Clean sprayer .

Anyone have the HD Temp guage/dip stick?  And if so, does the condensation ever come out it once it gets wet?

Normally I use two buckets, one with soap, one with clean water and work my way down, didn't this time. :(

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »

yeah - question about this.  Got caught in a down pour two weeks or so ago, so I did a total, under the fenders, undercarriage total wash with the Mr. Clean sprayer .

Anyone have the HD Temp guage/dip stick?  And if so, does the condensation ever come out it once it gets wet?

Normally I use two buckets, one with soap, one with clean water and work my way down, didn't this time. :(
Just remove the rear screws and pull the cover  ;)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

thanks, guess you did the same?

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »

thanks, guess you did the same?
I did, as a caution I suggest being as gentle as possible with those big mits of yours. The solder joints are fragile!!  :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »

I used to.  Gave up on it, tho'.  About three months ago it started popping out everytime I'd snatch the throttle.  First time it happened, it made a HUGE mess.............oil burned onto the mufflers, rear wheel/tire/brake covered in oil, etc.  Finally gave up and reinstalled the stock filler plug/dipstick.  Ever since I installed the JAGG Oil Cooler, I don't really worry or care about my engine oil temperature.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »

I did, as a caution I suggest being as gentle as possible with those big mits of yours. The solder joints are fragile!!  :2vrolijk_21:

yeah, yours are petite?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:31 PM »

Sean,
I used to have a problem w/my analog temp dipstick on my Fatboy getting condensation in it after washing. I ended up just sticking a baggie over it w/a rubber band to prevent as much water as I could from getting in there in the first place.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »

Sean,
I used to have a problem w/my analog temp dipstick on my Fatboy getting condensation in it after washing. I ended up just sticking a baggie over it w/a rubber band to prevent as much water as I could from getting in there in the first place.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Good idea- hate learning the hard way, but seems to be my most common methodology...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »

Howie, mine was just about dried out and the slight chance of rain turned into a downpour yesterday...bike was soaked.

While washing it last night, I found the hex heads under the rubber washer - tried 3/32 and 5/64th Allen wrench...no joy.

Anyone know what size they are??  Since none of the sae fit, guessing metric?

I also noticed condensation under my Neutral Light and Turn Signals Indicators on my dash - are these bikes that water sensitive that having them rained on does this crap??

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 07:29:31 AM »

Howie, mine was just about dried out and the slight chance of rain turned into a downpour yesterday...bike was soaked.

While washing it last night, I found the hex heads under the rubber washer - tried 3/32 and 5/64th Allen wrench...no joy.

Anyone know what size they are??  Since none of the sae fit, guessing metric?

I also noticed condensation under my Neutral Light and Turn Signals Indicators on my dash - are these bikes that water sensitive that having them rained on does this crap??

I reember mine being small Phillips head, I think? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 24 queries.