Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Washing vs. quick detailer  (Read 6613 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Washing vs. quick detailer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »

I reember mine being small Phillips head, I think? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Wow, the looked like Allen Head...  Guess my eyes are getting tired.   :-[
Will try that tonight.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »

Ok, I have heard all the stories about how you should never spray water on your bike and most definitely never take it to a high pressure car wash.  Well as many have already said, you pretty much have to give it a good wash if you get caught out in the rain.

I have been riding for 34 years and have had more bikes than I can remember - all major manufactures.  Where I live the water is pretty hard and we don't have a water softener - I have always taken my bikes to the car wash.  Nice soft water and they also have that "spot-free" rinse.  I can back away from the bike enough to keep the water pressure from being a problem - especially around gauges, electronic stuff, and bearings.  If I have been riding in rain and the bike is pretty nasty, I will blast the motor pretty good, but am still careful not to apply high pressure to sensitive areas.  Never had a problem. :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »

Ok, I have heard all the stories about how you should never spray water on your bike and most definitely never take it to a high pressure car wash.  Well as many have already said, you pretty much have to give it a good wash if you get caught out in the rain.

I have been riding for 34 years and have had more bikes than I can remember - all major manufactures.  Where I live the water is pretty hard and we don't have a water softener - I have always taken my bikes to the car wash.  Nice soft water and they also have that "spot-free" rinse.  I can back away from the bike enough to keep the water pressure from being a problem - especially around gauges, electronic stuff, and bearings.  If I have been riding in rain and the bike is pretty nasty, I will blast the motor pretty good, but am still careful not to apply high pressure to sensitive areas.  Never had a problem. :2vrolijk_21:
I used to have a Honda that I took to the car washes on a reg. basis.......never owned a American or British bike that could withstand them.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »

The only way is to wash off and then spend as much time detailing as you like.I quite like detailing,i put on the radio in the garage and clean away.I have found an attachment to put on the end of my air compresser, this blows any water out of the enclosed gaps.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »

The only thing that scares me about quick detailing is if the bike is fairly dirty and you begin wiping it off you can rub the dirt that collects on the rag on the paint and cause scratches. Happened to me once now I would rather wash it. At least that way the water loosens the dirt particles up first.

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »

I probably wash more often than necessary, but I enjoy having a clean bike whenever I have the opportunity to take a ride.
I do as has been mentioned, get a firehose nozzle, delivers a gentle stream where you want it, and also gives pressure where needed.
After a good wash, using a microfiber wash mitten, and an anti-spot detergent, I take the air hose to the bike starting top down to the wheels. If you do this make sure to have a plastic tip on air hoze trigger, so as not to scratch anything.
Then using a Microfiber drying towel, get the rest
I could say more but I think you get the idea.
 :2vrolijk_21:
This cleaning without taking off bags, and putting on a lift takes me total time of around 30-40 minutes.

Sawyer Ghost
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.