Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Engine break-in  (Read 3425 times)

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
Re: Engine break-in
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »

I have always used non- syn oil for break-ins. Never an issue. At 500 miles change over to syn.

MCE

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »

I have always used non- syn oil for break-ins. Never an issue. At 500 miles change over to syn.

Cut the filter open and unravel the paper (You can learn allot about the engine's condition) Cut the
filter open at the top, pull out the element, cut it apart with a utility knife and unravel it.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »

Dyno break in let’s me know where the engine and it’s perimeters are the whole time it is running from the very first heat cycle to a finished tuned motorcycle.   The other way is a huge unknown for how many miles and then AFR and timing is going to be addressed after break in?

Amazing what an honest conversation with tech reps at S&S can tell you about liability and selling engines to the unknown masses.

MCE

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »

Dyno break in let’s me know where the engine and it’s perimeters are the whole time it is running from the very first heat cycle to a finished tuned motorcycle.   The other way is a huge unknown for how many miles and then AFR and timing is going to be addressed after break in?

Amazing what an honest conversation with tech reps at S&S can tell you about liability and selling engines to the unknown masses.

LOL. That's like selling guns to untrained personnel. Some people shouldn't be allowed to buy certain stuff. lol

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »

Just some misconceptions on what a dyno can do and what it actually is.  Just a tool.  Like stated above.  Dyno does not equate WOT only.  When in all honesty.  WOT is the easiest and fastest area to tune.  Everything is in the far most right column.  On your average street build with non tunable pipes.  3-4 iterations and that area is done with fuel and spark.  Idle, start up, warm up, parking lot speeds area, medium cruise, heavy cruise, low speed roll ons, throttle progressivity tables.......... is where the bulk of tuning time goes.  There is just no sheet or printed results you give out in this area so it isn't associated with dyno's for most people.

MCE

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 12:13:28 PM »

Just some misconceptions on what a dyno can do and what it actually is.  Just a tool.  Like stated above.  Dyno does not equate WOT only.  When in all honesty.  WOT is the easiest and fastest area to tune.  Everything is in the far most right column.  On your average street build with non tunable pipes.  3-4 iterations and that area is done with fuel and spark.  Idle, start up, warm up, parking lot speeds area, medium cruise, heavy cruise, low speed roll ons, throttle progressivity tables.......... is where the bulk of tuning time goes.  There is just no sheet or printed results you give out in this area so it isn't associated with dyno's for most people.

+1 You're right on the mark.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »

If you are talking about a brand new motor before any heat cycles that can get pretty expensive for someone who's breaking it in on someone's dyno as they're sitting around waiting for it to heat up and cool down over and over. I suggested this to a local tuner and he said sure I can do it if you want to pay a hundred dollars an hour to me because my dyno will be tied up as it's going through the cool down and heat up cycles.

MCE

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »

If you are talking about a brand new motor before any heat cycles that can get pretty expensive for someone who's breaking it in on someone's dyno as they're sitting around waiting for it to heat up and cool down over and over. I suggested this to a local tuner and he said sure I can do it if you want to pay a hundred dollars an hour to me because my dyno will be tied up as it's going through the cool down and heat up cycles.

I would find another tuner. The good ones do this by default. You don't need to let it cool completely between 'cycles' either. just let it rest a bit while you go do something else. My guy does them like it's his own motor.
Larry Buie, (Bikes by Buie). A great guy that knows WTF he's doing!

It's not rocket science.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

People have this stereotypical bias that a dyno needs to be a destructive testing machine. When done right they start with the equivalent of heat cycles but they are stopping and continuously uploading corrected VEs to get the mixture right first and early. This running is done at low speeds but loads and unloads the rings. They control heat with fans. If somebody was inclined to take the bike before a full power tune was done I would limit the rpms. Reality however is the motor is already seated after the initial runs. If not, then it will never be right. The importance of a corrected afr can't be overemphasized. Guys screw up break in with idling to some sort of heat cycle routine. Very little splash lubrication! Not good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:54:20 PM by HD Street Performance »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.