Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Reservoir Leak  (Read 2718 times)

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Clutch Reservoir Leak
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »

Yesterday when rolling the bike out of the garage i noticed what i thought at the time was a drop of water on the clutch lever mount next to the reservoir, although at the time it seemed strange i wiped it off and pretty much forgot about it. Later in the day as i was riding down the road i realised that this area, including the clutch lever, was wet with what i am assuming is fluid from the reservoir, it was definitely not water. When i got home i wiped everything off and checked the reservoir cover screws, which were tight.

It looks to me like the only possible source for a leak is the cover gasket...does anyone have any other ideas where the fluid could be coming from, i am almost afraid to park the bike with the handlebars turned to the left and have fluid drip on the tank.

-dave

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Clutch Reservoir Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:32:44 AM »

Dave, I would check around the banjo fitting and make sure the mounting is secure.  Sometimes you can use baby powder around the suspected leak to find exactly where it is.  Also I have found that on the resevior cover screws that too tight can be as bad as not tight enough. Until you find where the leak is keep your paint covered.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »

Dave, I would check around the banjo fitting and make sure the mounting is secure.  Sometimes you can use baby powder around the suspected leak to find exactly where it is.  Also I have found that on the resevior cover screws that too tight can be as bad as not tight enough. Until you find where the leak is keep your paint covered.

:2vrolijk_21:  Overtightening the cover screws can lead to a deformed gasket - I'd suggest removing the cover and closely inspecting the gasket.  And make sure the reservoir isn't overfilled; the level will increase as the clutch wears, unlike how a brake master cylinder works.

Btw, the torque spec for the cover screws is only 6 - 8 in lbs.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »

If it's brake fluid leaking make sure you keep it off your paint. Brake Fluid is a good Paint Stripper and will make a good day turn to Hell!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

I also have a 2009 that had a leaky cap.  Twice.  Clutch and brake.  My dealer replaced the cap and gasket and that fixed it. (At least so far...)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »

I also have a 2009 that had a leaky cap.  Twice.  Clutch and brake.  My dealer replaced the cap and gasket and that fixed it. (At least so far...)

Same here. Just clutch though. Dealer replaced, fine now.
RETIRED! :fireman:

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »

Thanks guys, its off to the dealer before my warranty runs out in two weeks.

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »

The hose fitting, the cap, or the plunger where the lever contacts it are about the only places.  I had an issue that turned out to be the plunger.  I removed the lever, pulled out the dust seal, and fluid dripped out, the dealer had to replace the master cylinder.

RLK

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »

My bikes at the dealer for 3rd time trying to find where i am losing pressure and the clutch is failing and flat?  So far, they have had it for a couple of days, no news?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.