Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Hayden Tensioner install by a noob  (Read 19563 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Hayden Tensioner install by a noob
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »

After reading as many of the threads on the Hayden Tensioner I could find (on this site and the hdforum) I decided to pull the trigger on doing the install myself. As I have noted before I am not very experienced in the art of fiddling with mechanical contraptions. So before I do something stupid that I may (or may not!) live to regret, I want to reach out to the gurus on this site to see if there are any other words of wisdom or if anyone thinks I should not attempt it myself for any reason. But I really think this might be something I can pull off. My previous work on my bike involves the Shotgun shock and the premium oil cooler, both done right! ;D And I have to say doing the work myself is a heck of a lot more satisfying than getting someone else to do it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Cam

P.S. I will be taking pictures of the process, mistakes'n'all, and post here when done.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:49:47 AM by camcvo »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Hayden Tensioner install by a noob
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »

You can do it. Just assemble the Hayden unit then use some sort of clamp to squish it down and hold it there while you put a zip tie on each side take off clamp and slide new unit in place, use locktite and install two large bolts then snip off the zip ties and pull them out. Reinstall large cover and fill. Now go for a ride and see how much smoother it shifts.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »

The only complication I can think of is the Shotgun shock as it is a single unit and blocks access to the tranny plug. I would need to unbolt and drop the shock and reverse the process when done.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »

You shouldn't need to dump the transmission fluid, the tensioner's in the primary.
The best you've had is the best you know.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »

Thank you!!! Just realized that myself and am watching all the relevant training videos on youtube in preparation -  :-[ I maybe biting more than I can chew. But I shall soldier on...

One reason I started this thread is to document the process in its entirety as all other threads regarding this topic seem to start and end in the middle of the process. I would like to document my journey (i.e. no outtakes no matter how embarrassing) for posterity when someone as inexperienced as me wants to make a fool of himself.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »

Good man Cam. No better way to learn than to try it!!!! The good thing here is the most that can happen is you waste some primary fluid. When you are done, if there is any slightest doubt in your mind pour a qt of the cheapest type f you can find and take it around the block. Everything sound good.........drain the canal water and use the good stuff. You CAN do this!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »

Good man Cam. No better way to learn than to try it!!!! The good thing here is the most that can happen is you waste some primary fluid. When you are done, if there is any slightest doubt in your mind pour a qt of the cheapest type f you can find and take it around the block. Everything sound good.........drain the canal water and use the good stuff. You CAN do this!!!!!

Thanks Jimmy. Will do this before I head on down for the visit. I'm thinking next week or the week after weather permitting. Really looking forward to the visit.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »

Thanks Jimmy. Will do this before I head on down for the visit. I'm thinking next week or the week after weather permitting. Really looking forward to the visit.

Sounds great! Week after next would be best as next week is end of soccer season and I won't have to get any "You don't love me no more" looks from the Grands. We can always string 2 or 3 weather days together, if we ain't on a schedule. Once we nail down a few days we can post it for anybody that don't wanna miss the fun!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »

Sounds great! Week after next would be best as next week is end of soccer season and I won't have to get any "You don't love me no more" looks from the Grands. We can always string 2 or 3 weather days together, if we ain't on a schedule. Once we nail down a few days we can post it for anybody that don't wanna miss the fun!!!!
You're the boss so week after next it is! Let's get in touch towards the end of next week once the forecast is locked in. This will give me all of next week to work up the courage to take the plunge on the tensioner.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »

:cherry:
Cam,  on a fairly new bike,  you likely won't need the shim(s) that come with it.  Do not get too excited if your "clearance" that they tell you should be around 3/8" and you find that yours is only about a 1/4".  Many of us have recently found that to be the case.

I just installed mine a few weeks ago on a 2014 Street Glide.  Also do not be alarmed if you detect a slight "whirring" sound after the installation.  That would be the chain as it runs over the new nylon "shoe" and that "noise" will pretty much go away after a few hundred miles as the chain "beds" into the shoe.

More info on this whole topic on HTT if you care to review it. 

Re: Primary Chain Tensioner: Hayden vs. Baker

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »

Thank you!!! Just realized that myself and am watching all the relevant training videos on youtube in preparation -  :-[ I maybe biting more than I can chew. But I shall soldier on...

One reason I started this thread is to document the process in its entirety as all other threads regarding this topic seem to start and end in the middle of the process. I would like to document my journey (i.e. no outtakes no matter how embarrassing) for posterity when someone as inexperienced as me wants to make a fool of himself.
[/quote

try to post some pictures
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »

:cherry:
Cam,  on a fairly new bike,  you likely won't need the shim(s) that come with it.  Do not get too excited if your "clearance" that they tell you should be around 3/8" and you find that yours is only about a 1/4".  Many of us have recently found that to be the case.

I just installed mine a few weeks ago on a 2014 Street Glide.  Also do not be alarmed if you detect a slight "whirring" sound after the installation.  That would be the chain as it runs over the new nylon "shoe" and that "noise" will pretty much go away after a few hundred miles as the chain "beds" into the shoe.

More info on this whole topic on HTT if you care to review it. 

Re: Primary Chain Tensioner: Hayden vs. Baker

Great info. Thank you!

try to post some pictures

Of course! By now it should be a foregone conclusion that I will have plenty of pictures and will find an excuse to also have a pic of the whole bike in there somewhere for no apparent reason! ;)

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:18 AM »

Cam,

It is a piece of cake.  I just did it today in two hours.  Here's what is required:

1.  Drain primary case oil
2.  Remove passenger floorboard
3.  Remove rider floorboard
4.  Remove kick stand (jack the bike up)
5.  Remove heel shift lever
6.  Remove derby cover
7.  Remove primary case cover
8.  Remove H-D tensioner
9.  Install Hayden tensioner
10. Replace primary cover
11. Refill primary case oil
12. Replace derby cover
13. Replace shifter, kick stand, floorboards

You're done!

Use published torques and new gaskets.  The Hayden tensioner has strong springs but will slip in with a little friendly persuasion.  There is nothing hard about it.

The weather was bad so I only rode for a mile or two to check it out but I could already tell that it shifted smoother and it went CLICK instead of KA-KLUNK when I shifted.  I love it.

-Dick-

-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 05:00:52 AM »

Dick,

Three quick questions:
Any problems with removing the stock tensioner?
With the bike being so new, did you have to replace the gaskets?
Did you measure the clearance?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:03:01 AM by camcvo »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »

I was able to change mine out without removing the kickstand. :2vrolijk_21:
Be careful handling that gasket and you should be ok. I had one ready on standby in case it was needed and returned it to the dealer to get my $35 back after not needing it. You can go ahead and change it as cheap insurance (well, $35 for a gasket really isn't cheap) but I've read way too many times that people were able to reuse it. My stator had just gotten changed about 300 miles earlier so the gasket on mine was basically new.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.