Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: oil leak dripping from bottom of primary  (Read 7236 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: oil leak dripping from bottom of primary
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »

I'm a bit confused,..I know it doesn't take much for me now a days,...but if I understand the oil is leaking only or more so on the jiffy.
If that's the case there wouldn't be any oil at the inner primary bearing seal.

Had the same thought Mark.  Just figured if was in far enough to do some of it would be replacing all the seals anyway.  If you're in that deep why not?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »

Had the same thought Mark.  Just figured if was in far enough to do some of it would be replacing all the seals anyway.  If you're in that deep why not?

You're absolutely right once that inner case is removed for the sake of  2.50  put a new one in

J.D.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »

Yes definitely when you remove the primary it's good practice to replace all shaft seals (including shifter shaft), especially if they are older.  On my '02 the seal designs have all been updated.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »

My current project, new install only 15k miles ago.  :confused5:

Took me longer to clean up the gunk than it did to disassemble to this point. Called it a day and hopefully get back together tomorrow. I kinda ignored the symptoms and thought it was okay a time or three.

At least the labor was free, or was it?

Just Ride!

Wut the hell was that maneuver

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »

Okay.  It's been about 4 weeks since I finally repaired this leak and she is still dry.  It was not from the primary.  What I eventually found out was the inner race on the main shaft walked in towards tranny and destroyed the seal going into the tranny housing.  I actually wound up replacing two inner race bearings before I discovered seal was destroyed.  I learned a lot about my Harley and purchased a few Harley tools (inner race tool remover/installer and 2-1/4in deep wall socket to remove main shaft sprocket.  I also learned that it's worth your time and investment to repair your own Harley.  I like the guys at the HD dealerships, but I do not trust their service departments.

Next, I would like to go through my Screamin Eagle 110 and give it a thorough tune up, but after our motorcycle camping trip first week of October to Bryson City, TN. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 24 queries.