Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 4th gear on 6 speed making "whirr" noise  (Read 4090 times)

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
4th gear on 6 speed making "whirr" noise
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

Anybody know anything odd about 4th gear on 6 speed making "whirr" noise? I did not notice it until I put the windshield on the bike, now I can hear it and it's only that gear that does it.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: 4th gear on 6 speed making "whirr" noise
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »

Loose nut behind the handlebar???  :nixweiss: .....sorry. :)

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »

I think only the final drive gear is helical cut- so the others will make some noise- anyone else want to confirm it?
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

I think only the final drive gear is helical cut- so the others will make some noise- anyone else want to confirm it?

Actually, the Cruise Drive six speed uses helical gear sets for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th gears.  Only 1st and 5th are spur (straight cut) gears.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »

:P
That is true,  all the gears are not of the same type.  Whine/noise when they first came out with this combo....is why they introduced the "cush" drive in the rear axle.  It "dampens" some of the gear whine noise........but oh by the way,  my Harley Service mgr tells me it also costs..........a loss of some rear wheel horse power too!!!!!!!!!! ???

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »

Many of the early 6 spds had a whine/whir in 5th.  Can't say I remember anybody talking about noise in 4th.  What are you running for tranny oil?  Several have lost most/all of their noise by switching to something different than Syn3.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

harpmr

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 FLTRUSE

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »

My FLHTCUSE4 was manufactured in 2/2009 and has a very clear "whine" in 5th gear - still running Syn 3 since have less than 1,000 miles

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »

:juggle:
Me too,  but as soon as my dyno tune-up is done (later this week),  mine is getting Redline products in all three holes. :P

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »

Guys, it is 5th, not 4th, that is whining. I guess it's not a big deal since no one here or on other posts have any bad reports and there are no recalls for it.  :carrot:  HAPPY DAY!

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »

Mine whines, and regardless of what lubricant is run in it, it is a piece of junk, imho.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=38206.0
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

charlie

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »

My 08 do'es it in 5th.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »

Guys, it is 5th, not 4th, that is whining. I guess it's not a big deal since no one here or on other posts have any bad reports and there are no recalls for it.  :carrot:  HAPPY DAY!

I was just about to ask if you were sure it was 4th and not 5th.  Since it's 5th gear, not a problem.  Baker makes a fix for it, but I personally don't feel it's worth the $'s to get rid of that noise.  I took care of my 5th gear noise by putting on D&D 2 into 1's and the HogTunes 8 speaker system.  I don't hear anything else with those 2 noise makers.  That and my 5th gear is much better than it was on my 07.  I barely notice it on my 09, but on the 07 it was pretty distinct.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »

it's a good way to know what gear you are in. if it whines, Im in 5th. changing lubes helped. i run Bel-ray gear saver
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »

Mine whines, and regardless of what lubricant is run in it, it is a piece of junk, imho.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=38206.0

Harley transmissions, in my experience, have been a piece of junk long before the Cruise Drive 6 speed came along.  However, that opinion is based on things like shift quality (or lack thereof) and not on noise levels.  Mechanical devices, unless surrounded by heavy layers of sound insulation, tend to make noise when in operation.  If folks want total quiet, I might suggest a highly sound insulated electric automobile with a killer stereo.  Or a really good pair of ear plugs.

As far as I can tell, the reason folks have bitched about the 1st and 5th gear noise isn't because that noise is so much worse than previous bikes, it's because the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th gears are so much quieter than before.  It is a shame the MoCo didn't use helical gears throughout, like the Baker solution, but then again if you want stuff done right the first time you really shouldn't buy a Harley.

The response I like best is from LarryB.  The sound level difference between 5th and 6th makes a perfect "no extra cost" gear indicator.  No sensor needed, no light bulb, no LED saying "6", none of that modern tech.  Just use your ears and you'll always know if you're in 5th or 6th.

Jerry ::)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »

My 09 whines worst in first gear, then also whines in 5th gear. Personally, I have grown fond of it. I always know when it's in 5th and helps remind me to go to 6. And on downshifts from highway speeds to a sharp turnoff, I always know when I've gotten down to 1st gear. Better than a gear indictor in my opinion.

jimbob :orange:

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »

I just started running Redline Shock Proof in my tranny and the whining in fifth gear is very minimal. The transmission still sounds like it's coming apart when you initially start the bike and put her in first, but it's smoother as I'm shifting through the other gears and neutral isn't the pain to find that it was with Syn3. I also put Amsoil in the engine and primary and I can notice a little less heat in town. Thanks to many for the great suggestions.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

jiml

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »

the whine in 5th is "normal" in fifth all the drive gears are moving in the 1 to 1 drive
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.