Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking redline shockproof  (Read 4224 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Leaking redline shockproof
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »

Started the beast today in the garage just to let it warm up.  It was probably 40-45 degrees in the garage.
Later, was just fartin' around in the garage and noticed a drop of pepto (redline shockproof) on the floor.  Further investigation looks like the side door gasket let go.
Son of a motherless...
I suspect to replace that gasket the whole gearset has to come out??

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Leaking redline shockproof
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »

If you are talking about the right side where the clutch hose goes, the gears don't have to come out.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

Outermost cover comes off by itself.  What appears as a plate between that outer cover and the transmission case does bring the gear set out with it. 

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

If you are talking about the right side where the clutch hose goes, the gears don't have to come out.

correct,   but you'll need a puller to remove the trap door.   Make sure of one thing first, I'm pretty sure your speed sensor is just above the trap door and near the starter. It would be an easy check to make sure the o-ring around the sensor isnt broken cause it can wick down and make the leak look like it's coming from the transmission. Unfortunately it's not very likely since you say it happened by simply starting the bike as opposed to riding it.

Good luck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »

, I'm pretty sure your speed sensor is just above the trap door and near the starter.

That's the location on the older bikes.   Newer location is beneath the starter. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »

Try tightening the 2 lower allen bolts that attach the header pipe bracket to the trans cover.  It is tight corners, you may need to cut an allen wrench down to fit in the space to tighten the bolts.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »

Try tightening the 2 lower allen bolts that attach the header pipe bracket to the trans cover.  It is tight corners, you may need to cut an allen wrench down to fit in the space to tighten the bolts.

For others that will inevitably run into this problem, in my case the two bolts where loose.

I took the exhaust off enough to take the 2 bolts completely out. 
Once the exhaust bracket tension was off by removing the single bolt and nut that goes thru the header, the 2 cover bolts were so loose the I could remove them with my fingers.  Yikes!
I have been talking to several HD techs and this is not uncommon.  I removed those to bolts completely and red loctited them and retorqued to 18 ft lbs.

I guess IMHOP if any of you were in a circumstance where you have your header off... take the opportunity to remove those two bolts and get some thread lock on them.

Thanks to all for your help.

Now I am out to check the trans oil level and take it for a spin. 

DLSteele

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »

For others that will inevitably run into this problem, in my case the two bolts where loose.

I took the exhaust off enough to take the 2 bolts completely out. 
Once the exhaust bracket tension was off by removing the single bolt and nut that goes thru the header, the 2 cover bolts were so loose the I could remove them with my fingers.  Yikes!
I have been talking to several HD techs and this is not uncommon.  I removed those to bolts completely and red loctited them and retorqued to 18 ft lbs.

I guess IMHOP if any of you were in a circumstance where you have your header off... take the opportunity to remove those two bolts and get some thread lock on them.

Thanks to all for your help.

My 2010 had the same problem. The tech said it was a problem they have seen numerous times.

Now I am out to check the trans oil level and take it for a spin. 

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »

I routinely check all the allen bolts on the transmission door you are talking about whenever I service a bike. I loosen them 1 turn and re-torque and have no leaks. Usually if is leaking this will stop it without replacing the gskt.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

Just a note: It is not a good idea to use RED loctite on bolts into aluminum! Use Loctite 242 for all fasteners into aluminum. Red has such a tenacious hold in clean aluminum it can take the threads out with it when removed! I've never done it, but have seen it happen several times!!
I've already heard of several cases of bolts loose on the muffler supports, I guess Harley decided to save a few more pennys per bike and not use any loctite!! Of course if you replace the system, be sure to use the proper one!
On my 01 Dyna, I've never found a single screw that wasn't Loctited from the factory, and I've had most of them out at one time or another, hehe.   twinotter   :)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »

Harleys new speck is 27 ft lb and blue locktite found mine leaking the other day the same two bolts were only finger tight

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »

Yeeeeeeep!!  More of the outstanding quality control HD is becoming famous for NOT doing!!
CHECK ALL YOUR BOLTS GENTLEMEN.  FWIW  twinotter  ;)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

Yeeeeeeep!!  More of the outstanding quality control HD is becoming famous for NOT doing!!
CHECK ALL YOUR BOLTS GENTLEMEN.  FWIW  twinotter  ;)

;D   I agree, but it's not just becoming famous for poor quality, it's been famous for poor quality for a lot of years now. 

I still recommend to anyone buying a new Harley to spend the first weekend putting a wrench on every fastener they can reach to make sure everything is snug.  At the 1k and 5k intervals, definitely go over all the critical fasteners with a torque wrench, along with any other major fasteners.  Anyone who thinks the factory and the dealer automatically have you covered on this stuff is subject to the possibility of a rude awakening.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.