Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Toy hauler or class c  (Read 7339 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Toy hauler or class c
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »

We stayed in hotels for many, many years.  The difference with an RV is that you don't have to pack and unpack every night. 

It is different, RVing and everybody has their preferences.  On the down side.....I subscribe to an RV Industry news feed (that's directed at the industry and not the consumers/customers).  Every quarter for the past 2 1/2 years the sales have increased and a number of those quarters they've actually broke records over the percentage increase.  That same publication had an article that says that due to more and more people full timing (like we are) plus the increased sales even for the casual camper that RV site availability will be harder to find and that prices will increase across the board.  And........the bigger the RV that you have, the smaller that window of availability is going to get for you.  So..........I have concerns.  :o   But for the here and now.....I'm loving this life style!  :bananarock:

The RV capital of the world is Elkhart, Indiana. We attended a few industry functions last June in the Elkhart area. Unemployment is currently around 4%, and the people that are unemployed choose to be so. 

As of June 2017 the RV industry in the Elkhart area was short 20,000 workers!

The business is booming and it is showing in some quality issues for the past few years.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »

Pricing on RV's is all over the board, Lance was one of the few remaining privately owned companies until recently they were just purchased by REV Group which owns several companies including Fire Trucks, ambulances, motorhomes etc.  https://www.revgroup.com/#1  Remains to be seen if the quality and offerings will remain.
Regarding purchasing my truck I waited until the model years where getting close to changing back in July, and drove 250 miles after negotiations via the phone to Spokane.  MSRP was $66680.00 purchased it for $53800.00 I tried the same deal locally and could only get within $2500.00 of it.
On the Lance MSRP was around $64,000 drove 1100 miles to Sacramento valley in one day and purchased $45,000 closed I could come locally (WA) was $54,500.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »

My wife and I recently purchased a Leisure Travel Vans (LTV) Unity MB and will be picking it up the first week of April, 2018.

Initially (and I still do) wanted a Super C Dynamax DX3 or a Renegade Verona.  I liked the size and the fact they are on a Freightliner chassis.  The downside is the size of the coach when finding a place to park.

In the end, we went with the LTV and plan on dragging our motorcycle trailer.  This way, we can still use the LTV to get a round and drop the trailer when needed.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »

I looked at the Charles but man they are pricey. MB is proud of there stuff and I have an enclosed trailer (14") and wasn't sure it would pull it very well.

BigLew

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

I looked at the Charles but man they are pricey. MB is proud of there stuff and I have an enclosed trailer (14") and wasn't sure it would pull it very well.

BigLew

BigLew, I agree on trying to tow a large trailer with the LTV.  My trailer and bike together are less then 2,000lbs.  The Freightliners tow like a tractor trailer, starting at 12,000lbs on up depending on the manufacture and engine/transmission combination.

When I was looking at the Super C's they had an average markdown of 20%-25%.  Still high.  Catch them at the end of their sales model year and they were willing to wheel and deal.

With the LTV's, there was no such markdown.  I will bring some axle grease when I pick it up as I am sure I will need it.

Like I mentioned before, I like the Freightliner chassis as it is a tractor trailer setup.  The LTV is on the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter class chassis; I am sure it is orders of magnitudes harder to work on and more expensive.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

Just wondering... How many of you are running CDL's with your rigs? From time to time we will see a 1ton with 5th wheel or some sort of RV combo like that pulled over and I was wondering what is said about the DL and if CDL's are being enforced? I know the gross combo would be over 28,000 lbs
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »

Man...ask about LEO and this conversation came to a stop.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

Man...ask about LEO and this conversation came to a stop.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:        :nervous:

I pull a 42' 5th wheel that's 20k lbs. and in California it required the non-commercial CDL.  However, no special license required in South Dakota where I changed my domain. 

Most RVers.....whether pulling a TT or 5th wheel or in a coach drive 55-65 so they don't usually draw the attention of LEOs.....unless they're going to damn slow and being a traffic hazard.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »

A good article on CDL's and operating an RV...but like all articles, it may not be all inclusive...do your own homework...but this will help.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/guide-rv-drivers-licenses-requirements

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:        :nervous:

I pull a 42' 5th wheel that's 20k lbs. and in California it required the non-commercial CDL.  However, no special license required in South Dakota where I changed my domain. 

Most RVers.....whether pulling a TT or 5th wheel or in a coach drive 55-65 so they don't usually draw the attention of LEOs.....unless they're going to damn slow and being a traffic hazard.   :nixweiss:

I know the real reason there are was no replies......everyone is in Daytona and I am jealous...lol.

I was curious how it was working. Been hearing rumors for a while now where the DOT was going to start cracking down and didn't really know for sure how it would effect everyone if they did. You look at the GVW on just my 1 ton and that alone puts you close to the CDL requirements...a small enclosed with 2 3500lbs axles and your over if I understand it right

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »

A good article on CDL's and operating an RV...but like all articles, it may not be all inclusive...do your own homework...but this will help.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/guide-rv-drivers-licenses-requirements

Thank you Haird

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »

I'm not concerned about the CDL aspect, I drive truck for a living so that is covered  8). They that was pulled over could be a delivery driver? I know they guys that pull RV's to dealers are hiried and since they are a business they require a CDL.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »

I'm not concerned about the CDL aspect, I drive truck for a living so that is covered 

Will be nothing more then a money grab when all the states start requiring a non-COMMERCIAL "Commercial Drivers License"

I was curious how it was working. Been hearing rumors for a while now where the DOT was going to start cracking down and didn't really know for sure how it would effect everyone if they did. You look at the GVW on just my 1 ton and that alone puts you close to the CDL requirements...a small enclosed with 2 3500lbs axles and your over if I understand it right

Aren't most states using guidelines of 26,001 pounds for the CDL requirement?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »

Will be nothing more then a money grab when all the states start requiring a non-COMMERCIAL "Commercial Drivers License"

Aren't most states using guidelines of 26,001 pounds for the CDL requirement?

I know thats where OK is. At 26,001 going by the vehicles GVWR on the doorplate or the GVWR of the vehicle and trailer combination by nameplate you are supposed to have a CDL even if you are just a old boy with a truck and a trailer going to take your broken down Harley to the shop. Doesn't have to be commercial related at all. Or that is how it was explained to me or at least how I understood are a conversation with a local trooper

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

charles05663, just got a chance to take at look at your rig that is nice....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.