Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is my bike shutting off sometimes while riding  (Read 2867 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Why is my bike shutting off sometimes while riding
« on: April 04, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

I have a 2018 Anniversary CVO Limited. I've upgraded the cam, intake, injectors, and air filter. Was riding back from a HD demo day from Austin,Tx. and my bike just completely shut off while going 70 mph luckily I wasn't on Hwy 35 in traffic. This is the second time its done this so far in approx 500 miles or so.  I pulled over & it started rite back up and made it back home without any problem.  What could possibly cause this to happen.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:53:40 AM by newseultra07 »
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Why is my bike shutting off sometimes while riding
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »

Thinking maybe got something to do with a loose wire in switch possibly. Gonna be an Easter egg hunt finding it.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »

I have a 2018 Anniversary CVO Limited. I've upgraded the cam, intake, injectors, and air filter. Was riding back from a HD demo day from Austin,Tx. and my bike just completely shut off while going 70 mph luckily I wasn't on Hwy 35 in traffic. This is the second time its done this so far in approx 500 miles or so.  I pulled over & it started rite back up and made it back home without any problem.  What could possibly cause this to happen.

We had a 1998 (I think) ultra classic that did that.  (Almost got run down a couple times before it was fixed.) As I remember it was the main circuit breaker that wasn't getting enough airflow and popped regularly.  As I remember they replaced the breaker with a heavier one and that fixed the problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 05:48:14 PM »

We had a 1998 (I think) ultra classic that did that.  (Almost got run down a couple times before it was fixed.) As I remember it was the main circuit breaker that wasn't getting enough airflow and popped regularly.  As I remember they replaced the breaker with a heavier one and that fixed the problem.

There was a recall on those old circuit breakers years ago.  They're also no longer used on the more current bikes.  Touring made the change with 2004 being the first year to getting a maxi-fuse instead.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:38 AM »

My 2015 did that. Turned out to be the ground wire was loose on the battery terminal. Sometimes it would cut off just the key was turned off and then it would right back up. A couple of times it shut down completely and I had to coast to a stop, then it would fire right up. Drove me nuts for 3 weeks. I had just installed heated grips before that and started re-tracing my steps and thats when I found the loose ground at the battery. My own dang fault.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »

My 2015 did that. Turned out to be the ground wire was loose on the battery terminal. Sometimes it would cut off just the key was turned off and then it would right back up. A couple of times it shut down completely and I had to coast to a stop, then it would fire right up. Drove me nuts for 3 weeks. I had just installed heated grips before that and started re-tracing my steps and thats when I found the loose ground at the battery. My own dang fault.

Well I haven’t been under the seat to mess with battery. But I guess things loosen up on there own.  I will check the ground on battery and also if terminals are loose
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:14 PM »

System relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »

I had dirty contacts on the Dash ignition switch. Cleaned all contacts, re sprung the contact tension and no more problems for 33k miles

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:26:03 AM »

Did you locate or fix your problem yet? It would be good to let readers know so it might help them.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 05:50:35 PM »

Did you locate or fix your problem yet? It would be good to let readers know so it might help them.

Checked the ground cable on battery & it was tight. Thing is it doesn't do it all the time.. Only happened twice so far over last 6 months... Maybe wont know problem till starts doing it more often.. If I find the problem I will let it be known...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 10:55:16 PM »

Checked the ground cable on battery & it was tight. Thing is it doesn't do it all the time.. Only happened twice so far over last 6 months... Maybe wont know problem till starts doing it more often.. If I find the problem I will let it be known...

Don't assume the cables and cable connections are good with just the visual and the check for clean and tight.  Have found a few HD cables that were a problem but in every normal way looked good with problem being inside the crimp.

roadzilla

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 09:31:31 PM »

I also have  2018 CVO with the krauss inverted front end (with the ignition delete) and this also happened to me between Durango and Telluride Colorado. We were ripping along at 85 mph when the bike just shut off completely and wouldn't restart (lost all power) I thought it was because of the ignition delete so we changed the key fob battery and everything seemed to be ok. Had it checked out back in Phoenix by shop that did the work and didn't find anything wrong, This was 2500 miles ago and it has never duplicated the issue since.. It is ALWAYS in the back of my mind tho...

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 02:53:39 PM »

Easy Check of connections on your ignition switch.
Clean connections on wires and switch. Maybe wiggle one wire at a time when running. Sometimes wire are barley making connections with the wire itself breaking inside the insulation near the connections

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.