Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: H-D Confederate Edition  (Read 9128 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: H-D Confederate Edition
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:58 PM »

I just found this link to AIM Classic Online about the Confederate Bikes.

"Hidden Harley - 1977 Harley Confederte Edition Motorcycle

1977 Harley Confederate Edition

To build sales and demand for its motorcycles, Harley-Davidson tried all sorts of limited edition motorcycle models over the years. And the Motor Company proudly displays and promotes most of them in the history books and museum. But one limited edition of Harley-Davidson is often left out - the Confederate Edition Harley-Davidson.

Only about 350 Harley Confederate Sportsters Were Ever Made

Some consider this rare model a last ditch attempt to sell motorcycles in the AMF years. But regardless of the reasons behind this rare Harley, the production numbers were low - reported to be 44 Harley Confederate FLHs, 228 Harley Confederate Super Glides, 299 Harley Confederate Sportster XLs, 45 Sportster XLCHs, and 15 Sportster XLTs.

What happened to this rare edition of Harley? Has it been hidden away due to political correctness? We hear there is a man in Virginia who is working on a National Registry of Harley Confederate dition motorcycles."

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »

I remember working on them but i haven't seen one in about twenty five years.    axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 01:46:22 AM »

I found out something very interesting yesterday morning….

That is very cool. As long as we’re doing trivia, the machine in your attached photo was Factory equipped with Yokahama tires; which by itself is pretty rare.

miker’s photo in reply #13 pictures a Confederate FXE with a black starter solenoid boot. As I remember it, these early black boots were pigmented with a conductive material called carbon black. This boot allowed current to pass from the B+ cable to the starter motor terminal, draining the battery over time.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:11 AM »

That's pretty cool if the bike does end up in the museum.  I can't imagine them destroying them for any reason.  I bet you wish you hung onto it to sell it to Harley yourself.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 25 queries.