Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slip-Ons, stock breather  (Read 902 times)

Ultra2010

Slip-Ons, stock breather
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »

A friend of mine put Vance and Hines slip-ons on his 09 CUSE without doing anything else, just the slip ons.  He said nothing is different, but of course it sounds better.  Is this ok to do?? 

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Slip-Ons, stock breather
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Yes, it will work fine on a stock bike with the cat.  The NB sensors will adjust for the nominal increase in air flow from the less restrictive mufflers.

Same can't be said for replacing the Stage I air cleaner.  Have to change the Fuel Management system, i.e. SERT, MasterTune, PC V or something else.

But the new mufflerrs will sound better.

And the bike will run just fine.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:09 AM »

A friend of mine put Vance and Hines slip-ons on his 09 CUSE without doing anything else, just the slip ons.  He said nothing is different, but of course it sounds better.  Is this ok to do?? 

You'll most likely get by with it ....The rest of the story is they  ALL run lean from the factory and have a lazy timing curve to keep the EPA happy, just for that reason alone they need a tune, anytime you change anything in the intake-exhaust track it affects the AFR, how much is another question, all the sensors do is work in the  narrow cruise area, every where else it's in open loop...There is no substitute for a good professional tune....
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I agree.  The best method is to get the bike tuned either with a SERT, Mastertune TTS or a wideband solution.  The NB solution from HD allows them to meet the restrictive EPA requirements by keeping the bike very lean at cruise.

Most of the tuned bikes run around 13.5 to 13.8 at cruise, in the 12's (low) at full throttle.  Bike runs better, cooler and if you allow the bike to breath and exhale better, the gas mileage on my bike actually improved with two up and stayed the same with just me (could have something to do with the twisting of the throttle more by myself).

The biggest advantage is the better performance and the bike is not so hot.

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:32:13 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Yes, it will work fine on a stock bike with the cat.  The NB sensors will adjust for the nominal increase in air flow from the less restrictive mufflers.

Same can't be said for replacing the Stage I air cleaner.  Have to change the Fuel Management system, i.e. SERT, MasterTune, PC V or something else.

But the new mufflerrs will sound better.

And the bike will run just fine.

If all the above was carried out can you leave the cat alone ?
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »

:o :o

Yes you can leave the Cat alone. 

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.