Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ThunderMax IAC control  (Read 3044 times)

Cravin

• FLHRSEI.ORG
ThunderMax IAC control
« on: September 04, 2006, 09:33:42 PM »

I have been running the T-max for approx 5 months, It runs great except for its idle quality. When first started it tends to surge through the the rpm range till it gets warm. When it is hot it seems to take a while to idle down when coming to a stop(kind of hangs there) it will idle at the specific rpm its just slow getting there. I downloaded the latest software 4 (ver-14.5). I was using Smartlink 3. In my original instruction sheet(24 pages) it doesnt talk much about IAC. The new manual(43 pages) says on a new installation says this whould be the first thing done when installing the ECM. The manual says that once the ECM is on and powered up and learned its positions not to run the (auto-IAC) that it needs to be factory reset. Could this be why my idle quality is poor?

2006 Fire red pearl FLHTI
S/E 1550
S/E 203's
S/E air cleaner
Rinehart true duals with quiet baffles

jdk20723

• Full CVO Member
Re: ThunderMax IAC control
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:39:17 PM »

Hi Cravin,

Thanks again for using our products.  The idle return issue on some maps has been addressed during the module firmware upgrade to version 4.0, which was released August 15th.  I suggest upgrading to 4.0 firmware from the 3.2 that you have currently, and after clearing the learned IAC offsets in the module, run the IAC-AUTO function as described in the instruction sheet.  Also, before doing this, click the [CONFIGURE] [SMARTLINK UPDATE] menus to update your SmartLink IV to the latest version (v14.16).  

Once you have completed the software upgrade, you are ready to upgrade the firmware in the module.  Select [Configure] [Firmware] [Check for Firmware Update] to view available firmware updates.

If more than one selection is available, pick the SmartLink IV version with the latest date. Currently named: EFI_THUNDERMAX-01_Version40_07-28-06.B19.  Double click on the file to

Cravin

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »

That worked. The idle is normal and doesnt surge anymore, seems to start better also. I put 50 miles on it tonight and it ran perfectly. Thank you.

Cravin

2006 Fire red pearl FLHTI
S/E 1550
S/E 203's
S/E air cleaner
Rinehart true duals with quiet baffles
ThunderMax 4.0

jdk20723

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

Great!  The 4.0 firmware also has a new feature that enhances starting, which you've experienced.  Thanks again, JK

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.