Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance and Hines true duals  (Read 2189 times)

harleyman

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Vance and Hines true duals
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »

>:( has anybody had problems installing vance and hines header with stock mufflers on a 2007 screaming eagle ultra? and also, do i need to use a race tuner for this set up with screaming eagle air cleaner kit? my dealer is installing the headers and they are hitting the brake paddle as a matter of fact they already damaged mine and they are going to replace it. has anybody else had this problem?

thanks for your reply.

Harleyman

Bully

Re: Vance and Hines true duals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:33:03 PM »

My dealer installed my Rinehart true duels and used a spacer....he had to make a small adjustment...but it clears the brake.  He also installed a Sert and stage one Air.  My dealer has installed several of these and seems to have no trouble.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:41:58 AM »

>:( has anybody had problems installing vance and hines header with stock mufflers on a 2007 screaming eagle ultra? and also, do i need to use a race tuner for this set up with screaming eagle air cleaner kit? my dealer is installing the headers and they are hitting the brake paddle as a matter of fact they already damaged mine and they are going to replace it. has anybody else had this problem?

thanks for your reply.

Harleyman
Harleyman,
I have V&H duals installed and have at least 1/2" clearance between the heat shield and the brake lever.  You've got the second Ultra that I've heard of this problem now.  As far as do you have to use the SERT, I'm not sure you'll need to, if you don't change the air filter.  You'll still be running very lean though and not sure just putting on the duals is going to help the heat issue on the rear jug.  Talk with your dealer or a wrench that you trust and ask him.  Not many people on here have went to duals and stayed with the stock mufflers.  Sorry I can't be of much help on this.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:12:22 AM »

thanks for your reply.

Harleyman

Yes most definitely!! If you go to true duals and do the high flow AC you HAVE GOT TO ADD A SERT AND HAVE THE BIKE DYNOED! Or it will run like chit!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »

Yes most definitely!! If you go to true duals and do the high flow AC you HAVE GOT TO ADD A SERT AND HAVE THE BIKE DYNOED! Or it will run like chit!

In fully agreement with CVOwner...  My fitment was excellent and I did install SERT with MAP 84 -- ran very good. -- you can save some $$ on the dyno.

Before you invest in the SERT as I did, I would recommend you evaluate the TMAX for your long term happiness... I replaced my stock ecm/sert with TMAX and I love it!

Mark
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:22:36 PM by nixobilly »

Sgt072

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:50:36 PM »

I put on V&H duals and had the same problem of the brake shifter hitting the pipe.  A friend of mine had the same problem.  He had them shave the inside of the brake shifter to get enough clearance.  I looked at his and after they polished out the shifter you could not tell it had been shaved.  I had them shave the inside of the shifter on my bike and it looks good.  Another guy I know had the same problem and Harley did the same for him he is satisfied with everything.

sturbee

• Scooter guy
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »

Check your front motor mount, mine was broken on the '06 SE Ultra, V&H True Duals hit the rear brake lever, no clearance until motor mount was replaced
06 SE Ultra, Autumn Haze, Sept 9/24/05
01 Road King Classic, Berry Wine custom paint

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »

I had the same problem after my dealer installed the V&H true duals. It looked like there was about 1/4 " clearance between the header pipe and the brake pedal lever. But after the motor was warmed up, the vibration of the motor at idle caused the header pipe to "knock" on the lever and cause an irritating "clanging" noise. You could see where the header pipe was hitting the lever because there was a shiney spot on both. So I removed the brake lever (not the easiest chore) and shaved about 1/4" off the lever where the shiney spot was and polished it and coated it with clear coat. Problem solved and you can't even tell the lever has been shaved.
I definitely recommend the SERT (I went w/ calibration #84) I get 39-41 mpg w/ plenty of power.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »

One thing that can cause some of these fitment issues is the exhaust flange gasket...if you use the standard thick variety it can make a pretty good difference in how far the pipe sits off the front jug, and thus how far it is from the timing cover.  Use the SE type thinner gaskets to achieve maximum clearance.  Then shave the pedal if necessary...it's Billet, so when you polish it, nobody will ever know but you.  The Rineharts come with a thiner gasket, and the V&H might too, but I've not seen a pair in person.  The Dealer's, however, might be tempted to use the thicker stock variety because they're easier to make seal.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »

BTW -- the V&H TD headers do NOT ship with gaskets, you must provide.

Mark

harleyman

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »

thanks alot guys the dealer took the brake paddle off and i personally shaved about one quarter of an inch it fits good now however the dealer is still trying to deal with vance and hines about the fitment issue. as for the race tuner i will have to wait till they become available. the dealer said the he put the bike on the dyno and it ran good but i will find out when i pick up the bike from the dealer. thanks again for your help

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »

Had to shave the brake pedal about 1/4" as well.  It was actually hitting the pipe because the heatshield was notched at the factory.

When I put the Sceamin Eagle off road slip on's back on the TD,s they were almost twice as loud as with the stock head pipes.  The V&H True Duals are now on order.

:drink: :drink:

Any day on the bike is a good day.

harleyman

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:51 PM »

i have to go back to my dealer they put a new set of true duals in my bike however i still have the shaved brake pedal on it,i will find out when iput the new brake pedal this week letyou guys know about it thanks.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.