Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zippers Thundermax-AT  (Read 3357 times)

billragon

Zippers Thundermax-AT
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »

I had  my dealer install this awesome system about a month ago. It worked great, but my battery kept running down even after i had ridden three days ago. By the time I got home from my daily labors the battery was totally dead. I recharged but it was running awful. Rpm around 2000 and acting like the Thunder-maxAT was not working at all. The dealer hooked it up to the original program and tried to re tune it. After many hours it was determined by Zippers and them that the system had an internal failure. Is this the weakness of this system or any ideas what might have gone wrong.
We shipped back to them to rework?replace.
Bill

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: Zippers Thundermax-AT
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »

Bill,
Greetings from Bourbon St, New Orleans...  :drink:

I have a Zipper's Auto-Tune going on my SEUC tomorrow afternoon.
I have heard only good things, but I will keep an eye on this issue & see if it happens to me also!  (hope not)

Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »

You guys are more fearless than I am.  I would really like to try the AT but I do a lot of riding hundreds of miles from home and am very concerned that a failure on the road could be a problem if dealer can't or won't deal with the Tmax AT system.  Can't hook up digital technician to diagnose problems and if not familiar with Tmax software (or if don't have with you) could lead to no joy and a dead bike.

Don't think I am being paranoid.  As the miles pile on there is bound to be something go down and a dealer could rightfully refuse to service something he could not diagnose.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »

Good morning Bill,

:welcome_005:  on the CVO website :2vrolijk_21:

It'll be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike  :huepfenjump3:

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Dean_Nelson

• Full CVO Member
  • Now it is a DFT Tike
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »

I just installed one in my 2006 SE and it works fine.

As for any problems on the road, I put the Stock one in a small box and put it in the bike. That way if I ever have a problem on the road, I would change back to stock and read any codes, take to a dealer and he could work on the bike as it would be back to a stock bike.

To change back, you need to remove it with two bolts, unplug the o2 lines and unplug from the data link, bolt in the stock one.

Takes about 10 min to change.

Dean Nelson
2008 FLHX BAGGER CUSTOM
2006 FLHTCUSE
2004 SEEG  SOLD
2002 V-ROD AS A CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING 95TH
1982 GS1100E
1977 XLCR ONE OWNER 600 MILES
1970 XLH MY FIRST H-D 1800 MILES
1963 CUSHMAN 7500 MILES

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »

As for any problems on the road, I put the Stock one in a small box and put it in the bike. That way if I ever have a problem on the road, I would change back to stock and read any codes, take to a dealer and he could work on the bike as it would be back to a stock bike.

To change back, you need to remove it with two bolts, unplug the o2 lines and unplug from the data link, bolt in the stock one.

Takes about 10 min to change.

Would the motor run right with the stock ECM re-installed after mods to exhaust and a/c? (to limp it to a dealer)
Are the Zippers wide-band o2 sensors compatible w/ stock ECM?
Live - Love - Ride

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Dean_Nelson

• Full CVO Member
  • Now it is a DFT Tike
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »

When you change back to stock, the o2's are just in the pipe and not conected to anything.
This would be on pre 2007's

For a 2007 that has o2's I think you would also need to keep the stock ones with you and also change back to stock.

Sorry as I do not have a 07, I have a 06.

Call Zippers and ask them, try for Dan if you call

Dean Nelson
2008 FLHX BAGGER CUSTOM
2006 FLHTCUSE
2004 SEEG  SOLD
2002 V-ROD AS A CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING 95TH
1982 GS1100E
1977 XLCR ONE OWNER 600 MILES
1970 XLH MY FIRST H-D 1800 MILES
1963 CUSHMAN 7500 MILES

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 09:56:12 PM »

ok-
I installed my Zipper's Thundermax AutoTune this am. Figured out that the supplied cable has a 'serial plug' to attach to the computer after I had done the install.
Welll- 99% of todays laptops don't have a serial port on them and since the wifey frowned upon bringing the scoot in the house to connect to a desktop computer, I had to track down an adapter cable (& drivers).

The install was a breeze and after a phone call to the great guys in the Tech Support dept at Zippers, I had a map loaded and was on the road to tuning happiness in a 1/2 hr  :2vrolijk_21: (without the $$ for a dyno run!)

In answer to my own question - The o2 sensors are not interchangable - do to plug size & config.
According to the Tech guys - if you replaced the ECM & o2 sensors (on an '07) on the road, the bike could be limped to the nearest dealer for service or
if you have the software & cable along, you (or a service guy) could pull the trouble codes from the AT, which would tell the tale of woe, then just fix the issue.
My motor is all stock so far & I noticed that the 'clunk' at start-up is gone, the oil temp is about 15deg cooler, and the engine doesn't lug to bad running under 2k rpm.

Tomorrow she gets Rinehart TDs & the Ness Big Sucker a/c, load another map & ride. (still no $$ for a dyno run!)  :orange:

PS - what happened to the days of wrenches &  :drink:?
Live - Love - Ride

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:35 PM »

first off you can run with the wide bans in and have the stock ecm enabled all it does is throw a yellow fault code that can be easily cleared on the speedo no biggie and nothing to worry about except that you see it.  Others are correct they will not mate up to your factory system as they come from Zippers or vice versa they use a german plug, but its not a deutsch connector or like the factory connection.

Ultrafxr I put in a thundermax the day before I left on a trip if your bike is stock then they (zippers) has a map for you that will work and the bike will run great.   if it were to fail or give you issues I would suggest bringing a laptop for the first trip I did not, but I was close enough that I only had a little timing issue that I worked around with no problem just ran the bike 200 rpm higher than I would have normally on uphill climbs.   

Now lets say you have the thundermax installed and you feel you want to go back to your stock ecm.  All you need is the allen wrench to remove the thundermax (this comes in your stock tool kit btw) and 3 or 4 wire ties to tie up the wires that come from the wide band sensors to keep them on the frame tightly.    You would leave the narrow band sensors unplugged and ride on this will not do anything other than give you a fault code when you hit 50 miles an hour the first time.  When you turn off the ignition the light will go away and come back the next time you hit 50 mph.  If you have the manual you will can look up what the code is so you can double check it if your that uneasy about  before hand.

I ran this way for over 1500 miles as I used wide band sensors with the Wego system to get my volumetrics corrected with the race tuner and it had no ill effects other than an idiot light showing on the speedo.

Lets say you need to go in for warranty work and your dealer wont support the Thundermax its 2 bolts on the ecm a 7/8 cut off wrench to pull the wide band sensors out and put back in the narrow band sensors and an allen wrench.   With those on board with you and about 20 to 30 minutes you could do a complete change back.   Hardest part is finding the right size 7/8 wrench to tighten and losen the sensors on the front header pipe.  Do it once and you will fully understand what I am talking about.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.