Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Response from American Custom to me re: questions that a few of you asked me!  (Read 2028 times)

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

I forwarded the questions and comments to American Custom that a few of my fellow members here asked regarding their pipes and the effect on the "tuning" of the bike.  Here is their response:

Glenn,

Thanks again for everything, we’re stoked on the pictures of your bike and even more pleased that you’re as enthusiastic about what we do as we are. Aside from our testimonials where people have said that there bikes run much cooler, we’ve actually had a local customer who owned a newer model trike that purchased the Power Flex headers with the Bomber mufflers come into the shop to share his findings with us. He had the work done at Sound Motor Sports next door. He actually had a digital temperature gauge, and at the heat shield where the catalytic converter used to be the heat was reduced almost 200 F. Everyone has different opinions when it comes to the EFI, our best resource to back up our opinion is the American Iron article that we talked about when you were in our shop- you can reference the link to that article on our site here:

http://www.americancustom.com/media/news/AmerCustom.pdf

They did that research independently and as their article states- the bike not only performed better, it dyno’d perfectly- all of which they have in writing in the article. Also- aside from the location of the oxygen sensors, a header that has been refit with our “Power Flex” system would be essentially the same as a stock header from an older generation bike (2009 and prior) which never had any issues involving rear cylinder heat or higher motor/oil temps than from what is considered normal. The best testament in response to any of nay-sayers would be your own experience, I’m sure you’ve noticed the positive changes the American Custom exhaust system and nothing beats the word right from the horse’s mouth. Let me know if you need any more information Glenn. Once again, we really appreciate your enthusiasm and your business!

-Eddie
American Custom, LLC

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Interesting...however, there is a vital piece of information lacking on the Dyno chart...the Air/Fuel ratio both before and after the swap.  No doubt whatsoever that the removal of the catalytic converter dramatically cools that part of the exhaust system.  And, the Dyno is on a 103" motor, not a 110"...two different animals.

Even if the ECM could (which I doubt) compensate for the change in exhaust, it still would be compensating to an A/F ratio that is already very lean, and lean = HOT, not just for the exhaust, but for the cylinders, heads, oil temp, etc.  Their exhaust system is undoubtebly good, and it seems that their customer service is also very good, and that is a winning combination.

If you are happy with the way things are, then ride and enjoy... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member

Where did this pipe locate the O2 sensors?  Did you have to swap to 18mm, or can you keep the 12mm ones?

Bike will need a tune regardless.
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

Where did this pipe locate the O2 sensors?  Did you have to swap to 18mm, or can you keep the 12mm ones?

Bike will need a tune regardless.

Stock 2011 location and O2 sensors!

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.