Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NC Ride report  (Read 3043 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
NC Ride report
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

Just returned from a week long trip to Murphy NC. What a great area to ride a motorcycle! This was our third trip to that area in the past 5 years.

Rode the Cherohala Skyway on the 8th. Unfortunately a motorcyclist appears to have died on the skyway that day. No ambulance there and someone under a sheet. I do not know what happened other than a poor outcome for someone.

We did not ride the Dragon but we did stop at Deal's Gap and while there I saw a 17 CVO limited in Black Garnet and Red. I have been looking for one of these to see for almost a year! This one was spotless and just absolutely beautiful in the sun light! A few minutes later ANOTHER one pulled in and parked just 2 bikes down from the first one. The second one was not spotless, looks like they had gotten caught in a shower. Which was fine with me because that gave me the opportunity to see what this color would look like with some road grime on it. Which is how my bike is most of the time! I hate to clean, I would rather be riding.

Even dirty it was still a beautiful bike and now I am on the hunt for a used 17 CVO limited in Black Garnet/Red or a heavily discounted new 17 once the 18's hit the floor!

We did the 6 gap ride, Moonshiner, Wayah Road and so many other great roads! Lots of Waterfalls and just gorgeous scenery!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: NC Ride report
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »

Chief,

CVO's??  Gorgeous scenery??  Come on!     :worthless:      ::)   ;) 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »

ok I tried to put in some pictures but it tells me they are too large of a file. How do I shrink the pictures?

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »

I've been going up there for a week-long ride every May for the last 6 years...6 Gap has been on our Ride-tinerary a few times but for one reason or another we have never made it down to GA to run it.  So, how was it?  Would you do it again?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »

Riding to Murphy, NC this Friday, the 18th (one of my Riding Buds just bought a house there :2vrolijk_21:) hopefully to get some riding in and view the Eclipse on the 21st :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »

ok I tried to put in some pictures but it tells me they are too large of a file. How do I shrink the pictures?

Assuming you have the photos on your PC or laptop. You can edit them. When you do so, you can resize them. You can then either save them in the smaller size or save a copy in a smaller size for uploading.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »

Assuming you have the photos on your PC or laptop. You can edit them. When you do so, you can resize them. You can then either save them in the smaller size or save a copy in a smaller size for uploading.

Another trick I use if the pics happen to be on your cell phone is to text them to yourself and that will resize them to where they will post
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »

I've been going up there for a week-long ride every May for the last 6 years...6 Gap has been on our Ride-tinerary a few times but for one reason or another we have never made it down to GA to run it.  So, how was it?  Would you do it again?

Yes I would do the 6 gap again. Some of the road is very technical and not a lot of fun but other parts of it are nice 35 - 40 MPH curves that you can have a lot of fun on. Plus there are some incredible views and beautiful country to see.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »

Riding to Murphy, NC this Friday, the 18th (one of my Riding Buds just bought a house there :2vrolijk_21:) hopefully to get some riding in and view the Eclipse on the 21st :2vrolijk_21:

The eclipse is a HUGE thing in that area. Towns advertising eclipse parties and business having eclipse specials and such. A lot of places we went were selling t-shirts for the eclipse as well.

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »

Chief,

CVO's??  Gorgeous scenery??  Come on!     :worthless:      ::)   ;)

I have ridden Wayah road many times, it is a must each time I visit. It is one of the hidden gems in that area. The Dragon gets all the hype, but it is NOT the best road in that area.

Glenncarp

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »

The eclipse is a HUGE thing in that area. Towns advertising eclipse parties and business having eclipse specials and such. A lot of places we went were selling t-shirts for the eclipse as well.

I was there on the 21st and 22nd. I planned my trip (Autotrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA, then Skyline to Blue Ridge to Cherokee). I had no idea when planning it in February that the eclipse would be in the area and no idea how HARD it would be to get a room in the Cherokee area. ALL hotels from Asheville to Johnson City were booked for the 20 and 21st. We were able to get the Econolodge in Cherokee for $179/night when it is normally $79/night. We were in Cashiers and Highlands riding to Dry Falls and both towns were closed and merchants were selling parking spots for $30! High schools selling water, shirts and eclipse glasses. It was nuts! We went to a Subway in Cherokee and an employee told us she met two people from England, one from France and a few from Italy who traveled to Cherokee just for the eclipse. Cherokee was a ghost town that afternoon, I took a picture of downtown Cherokee with not a single car of bike parked anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:35:05 AM by Glenncarp »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »

I have ridden Wayah road many times, it is a must each time I visit. It is one of the hidden gems in that area. The Dragon gets all the hype, but it is NOT the best road in that area.

We got quite familiar with Wayah Road on this trip :2vrolijk_21: even discovered some new (to us) waterfalls,,, Big White Oak Falls.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

sail

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl w/ Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

Chief, I just picked up that 2017 you referenced. Love it!

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 26 queries.