Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Rust in Bolts  (Read 11072 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Rust in Bolts
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »

no problem with rust here
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »

:drink:
That dude has several problems.........one of which would be his own safety.  Regardless of whether or not those gems are real or fake,  some (other) whako might think they are valuable and take him out just to cash in on the glitter in his mouth. ::)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 12:54:51 AM »

So which is the better Alloyboltz or Hottoppers ?
Which kit do i have to use for the SERG to exchange as much as possible (without being a mechanic) ?
Can i replace them one after the other ? Just stock one out and then new stainless one in ( do i need the torque numbers for the ss-ones)?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »

Klaus, if you're going to change out the bolts to alloy or SS, then yes it's one out, one in and you do need to torque them. For Hottoppers, much easier. Just follow directions., but you may need a translator. The kit runs about $380 plus you'll need a can of silicone, it's a special stuff. I have an acct with them.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »

So which is the better Alloyboltz or Hottoppers ?
Which kit do i have to use for the SERG to exchange as much as possible (without being a mechanic) ?
Can i replace them one after the other ? Just stock one out and then new stainless one in ( do i need the torque numbers for the ss-ones)?
Do yourself a favor and go the SS fastener route instead of the 'covers'.  Easy to install, last forever, look very good, never have to replace when doing any 'service', and the cost is virtually the same if you start out with a 'kit' from Alloyboltz or Diamond fasteners (headquartered in Daytona, Fla.)  Gives the bike the completed/finished look that should have been done from the 'git-go'.  :2vrolijk_21: JMHO.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »

I do not want just to cover the stock bolts , i do want to replace them with stainless steel ones .
So there are 3 brands ?
alloyboltz - hottoppers-diamond fasteners  ?

Or do the hottoppers just covers ?
Or do you cover the replaced stock bolt with a stainless steel one and cover it with a chrome cap ? ( then you do need the silicone to fix the cover ? )

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:22 AM »

I do not want just to cover the stock bolts , i do want to replace them with stainless steel ones .
So there are 3 brands ?
alloyboltz - hottoppers-diamond fasteners  ?

Or do the hottoppers just covers ?
Or do you cover the replaced stock bolt with a stainless steel one and cover it with a chrome cap ? ( then you do need the silicone to fix the cover ? )
No, the Hottoppers are just covers for the heads of the fasteners as are the HD fastener chrome covers.  Diamond Engineering (www.depss.com) phone: 386-677-9093 and Alloyboltz are the two suppliers that I have utilized in purchasing Stainless fasteners for my scooters, and they both were good products and easy to work with.(both have 'kits' and individual fasteners available)....I'd recommend you go with either of those.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »

Aha . thxs.

fatboy se

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »

First of all you have to get rid of the rust,WD40 will leave an oil residue. I use wheel cleaning acid and a Q tip,then a Q tip and bright aluminum paint.  Lasts a long time. 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »

I have used Testors aluminum modelers paint and a small artists brush for years...lasts a couple years inside allen socket bolts...I also use the same aluminum paint on the bolts that hang down from the exhaust when they start to get unsitely :orange:
Same here, being doing it for years, beats all the other crap and the cost of converting to Stainless.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »

http://antique-engines.dickerson-design.com/electrol.asp

Electrolysis

It works  :2vrolijk_21:

Just hook it up corectly

cappoman

• FLTRUSE 2011 CVO RG Ultra

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

Noticed a bit of corrosion in Left & Right passenger foot pad mounting hole last night when I went to move them.  Sprayed WD40 on bolts on new holes and moved the plastic plug into the previous hole.  Would have been nice if MOCO had placed the plastics plugs in BOTH vacant holes on the 2011 CVO RG Ultra instead of just one.

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

I found a product sold in boating stores called rust streak remover.  A bit of that on a q-tip and the bolt is clean.  I follow that up with a small dab of clear nail polish.  Works great!  You just have to reapply the nail polish when you R/I the bolt for any reason.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.