Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10 days And 1800 Miles On My Springer  (Read 2142 times)

drogers

• Full CVO Member
10 days And 1800 Miles On My Springer
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »

Hit the road solo on my bike from central Florida and headed for North Carolina.I could not have done it with out some modification to the bike.

Biggest help was the Tallboy seat from HD.It lifts you up 2 inches and back 3 inches.The comfort far out weighs the bulky look.Softail 3 inch HD extended forward controls.This gives me 6 inches more leg room and my knees are still plenty bent.Next,kuryakyn  foot pegs with beefy rubber and retractable heel rests.This keeps your feet from blowing off the pegs when you have your heels on top of the pegs. Finished off the comfort with Wild 1 510 bars.I used the stock riser.Even with the 3 inch set back seat,I can easily reach the bars.In fact I was able to lean against my tour bag.

I sat on a stock Springer at the dealer and could not believe how I ever rode the bike in the stock cramped up position.It's like a completely different bike.Of course if your short,some or all of theses mods wont be necessary.I went thru a lot of research to get this bike right,and thought I'd post it for the larger riders that may also be uncomfortable.

Oh,had a great time  :2vrolijk_21:

Extended Forward Controls and Kuryaken pegs

Hitting the road on my comfy seat

Note the wider,taller pulled back bars

First stop,the beautiful $38 a night Days Inn Resort complete with in room wet bar that also doubles as a bathroom sink. :P

Deals Gap/The Dragon

Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokey Mountains

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:43:16 PM by drogers »

MikeD

Re: 10 days And 1800 Miles On My Springer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »

Congrats, you have a great looking bike, I love the air filter, the paint, etc.  I hope you enjoyed the dragon!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »

Man, we must of just missed you. We were at the Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville Ga the weekend of the 5th thru the 8th and were at the Dragon on the 6th with a lot of the gang from this site.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »

Glad you are enjoying the bike...Time to kick it up a notch on the mileage per day!

:2vrolijk_21:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:27:39 AM »

Drogers looking good and having fun doing it.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »

Comfort plus & looks good to boot.!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »

Nice trip.....as Rob said we were that weekend in the dragon......

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »

Hit the road solo on my bike from central Florida and headed for North Carolina.I could not have done it with out some modification to the bike.

Biggest help was the Tallboy seat from HD.It lifts you up 2 inches and back 3 inches.The comfort far out weighs the bulky look.Softail 3 inch HD extended forward controls.This gives me 6 inches more leg room and my knees are still plenty bent.Next,kuryakyn  foot pegs with beefy rubber and retractable heel rests.This keeps your feet from blowing off the pegs when you have your heels on top of the pegs. Finished off the comfort with Wild 1 510 bars.I used the stock riser.Even with the 3 inch set back seat,I can easily reach the bars.In fact I was able to lean against my tour bag.

I sat on a stock Springer at the dealer and could not believe how I ever rode the bike in the stock cramped up position.It's like a completely different bike.Of course if your short,some or all of theses mods wont be necessary.I went thru a lot of research to get this bike right,and thought I'd post it for the larger riders that may also be uncomfortable.

Oh,had a great time  :2vrolijk_21:

Extended Forward Controls and Kuryaken pegs

Hitting the road on my comfy seat

Note the wider,taller pulled back bars

First stop,the beautiful $38 a night Days Inn Resort complete with in room wet bar that also doubles as a bathroom sink. :P

Deals Gap/The Dragon

Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokey Mountains

Drogers.....question; did you have to change the cables and wires with the Wild1 510?

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »

It sounds like you had a great trip. The solo trip must have been a really nice opportunity to clear your head and travel at your own pace. Thanks for the pictures and the ride report!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »

This thread was moved from the Springer forum.I would have given more ride report info if I would have known.I was mainly trying to show how to make the bike more comfortable.

I spent some time visiting friends,other wise the mileage would have been higher for sure.Seems half of Florida has moved to NC.

jegomez- I used the stock cables lines and hoses,but the brake and clutch hydraulic lines had to be rerouted.Ideally they should be extended 2 inches.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Man, we must of just missed you. We were at the Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville Ga the weekend of the 5th thru the 8th and were at the Dragon on the 6th with a lot of the gang from this site.

I stayed in Hayesville NC,about 15 min away from Blairsville the first 4 days with friends.I would have met the forum gang up there but the friends I stayed with wanted to ride with me so I went along with their schedule.

We rode Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway. After I left them I visited Mount Mitchell,the highest elevation east of the Rockies.I think I liked that and the Blue Ridge Parkway even better

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:57 PM »

Hey!!!...... I recognize that window tint place across the road there!!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »

Rob

My shop is about 800 ft down the street from you. (Allan & Rogers Inc.) Air conditioning.The vans with Chill Out on the side.Kevin at Advantage Automotive put my handlebars on,and does the service work on my trucks. Big Steve their service manager grew up with me in Ft Lauderdale. Small world eh? I just figure out all this today after talking to your buddy Kevin.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:03:02 PM by drogers »

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »

Rob

My shop is about 800 ft down the street from you. (Allan & Rogers Inc.) Air conditioning.The vans with Chill Out on the side.Kevin at Advantage Automotive put my handlebars on,and does the service work on my trucks. Big Steve their service manager grew up with me in Ft Lauderdale. Small world eh? I just figure out all this today after talking to your buddy Kevin.

Yeah Kevin went to CHL with us. He does all of our trucks as well. I just met Steve about a month ago. He seems like a really great guy. They do great work there at Kevins shop!

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.