Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eyewear for rainy days  (Read 3429 times)

HDBikerboy53

• AB

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Black # 307
    • CVO2: 2003 Heritage Softail 100 Year Anniversary Special
Eyewear for rainy days
« on: September 09, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »

I have been looking for eyewear to use in rainy conditions. Most of the products I've tried haven't worked as they either fog up or allow rain to get on the inside of the glasses where they are hard to clean. Any suggestions for open face riding?

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

Re: Eyewear for rainy days
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »

I have been looking for eyewear to use in rainy conditions. Most of the products I've tried haven't worked as they either fog up or allow rain to get on the inside of the glasses where they are hard to clean. Any suggestions for open face riding?

Would a Rain X product get the job done?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

shrknz

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »

I've used Lemon Pledge on the inside of my glasses for riding. It's a well documented anti-fog product and its what some eye care offices use on their eyewear and charge $10 bucks for it. Rain-X makes a plastic compatible product as well, but I have not used that.

HDBikerboy53

• AB

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Black # 307
    • CVO2: 2003 Heritage Softail 100 Year Anniversary Special
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »

Interesting. Thanks I will give some products a try and let you know what works. Never thought of rain x but it may work. Ill be out on a ride next week so will try it.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »

I wear a half helmet that has a face shield that retracts up into the helmet shell when not in use. I leave in the shield in the "up" position ( in the helmet shell) and ride around with my choice of eye protection on (Wiley X glasses), whenever rain catches me I just put the glasses in my windshield bag and flip down the helmets clear shield. The shield sets far enough away from your face that it doesn't fog up like a pair of glasses will and it also provides a little protection from the sting of the rain hitting your face.

Of course if you aren't required to and/or don't wear a helmet, well then forget everything I wrote....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »

We tried several products to allow riding in the rain without the back of the lens becoming wet from the spray or just fogging every time you slow down.
The one thing that does work is Snow Ski Goggles. They are vented around the sides with a one-way foam that prevents water from getting the  inside or back of the lens wet and they have dual lens with a layer of air between the inner and outer lens which totally prevents fogging.
I rode 480 miles from Atlanta in a hard rain on a HOT day and had no fogging, excellent vision the whole way.
I like Oakley because they have a model for people who wear glasses that seal around your temples. Other brands are out there for sure but these work. Not real expensive (Less than $75.00) and come in clear or yellow (which lightens up the gray/rainy sky).
No longer use them because we changed to full-face helmets and use Pin-lok anti-fog inserts summer and winter which never fog.
FYI, a face shield on a regular helmet still gets wet on back from the spray and fogs at stops. The fog city or pinlok inserts do not do this.

Glenncarp

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »

I wear a half helmet that has a face shield that retracts up into the helmet shell when not in use. I leave in the shield in the "up" position ( in the helmet shell) and ride around with my choice of eye protection on (Wiley X glasses), whenever rain catches me I just put the glasses in my windshield bag and flip down the helmets clear shield. The shield sets far enough away from your face that it doesn't fog up like a pair of glasses will and it also provides a little protection from the sting of the rain hitting your face.

Of course if you aren't required to and/or don't wear a helmet, well then forget everything I wrote....

Funny, I do same, but keep glasses on. I added one more step, I treat retractable face shield with Rain X at least twice a month, the rain simply sheds off of shield and does not bead up and cause sight issues.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »

+1 to snow ski goggles & Wiley X's.  Plus there are some folks making retro-look biking goggles with new lens technology.  Might want to search for those if you like that look.
I have a couple pair of Wiley's myself, but try them on before you buy them.  They're all a little different.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »

Half helmet with drop down shield..
Bill

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »

For those who use goggles, if you ever find them fogging and don't have anything handy as far as a anti-fog product use spit. Spit inside of goggles and wipe around with finger, rinse out with water and wipe dry. This works in a pinch. Lemon Pledge is the best.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »

I have the half helmet with the drop down shield because of rain.  If it is during the day and still bright I will keep my sun glasses on but if it is darker I take my glasses off.  I have never heard of lemon pledge but will try that.  I used spit when diving and now there is a small bottle of stuff for divers which you rub on the mask. I bet that would work good for riding as well.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.