Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Need help - Need Helmet  (Read 5789 times)

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
Need help - Need Helmet
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »

This may seem like a stupid question.  Ihave been riding for 32 years and now I need helmet advice.

I do not like the closed in feeling of full face helmets.  On my Cuse I ride with a novelty helmet with a slight brim.  I just purchased a SEFB2.  My first ride felt like the helmet was trying to pull my face off.  I rode again with a full face helmet and that solved the Face-off effect.  Now I can't get comfortable and the motor just dosen't sound right (not loud enough).

I was going to install a windshield, but they just don't look right to me.  Not sleek or sexy enough for me.   

What are my fellow riders using on thier scoot's without windshields?  I don't want to buy several helmets just to figure it out.  Maybe a Carbon Fiber scull cap will work?  Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Randy

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Need help - Need Helmet
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:24:20 PM »

This may seem like a stupid question.  Ihave been riding for 32 years and now I need helmet advice.

I do not like the closed in feeling of full face helmets.  On my Cuse I ride with a novelty helmet with a slight brim.  I just purchased a SEFB2.  My first ride felt like the helmet was trying to pull my face off.  I rode again with a full face helmet and that solved the Face-off effect.  Now I can't get comfortable and the motor just dosen't sound right (not loud enough).

I was going to install a windshield, but they just don't look right to me.  Not sleek or sexy enough for me.   

What are my fellow riders using on thier scoot's without windshields?  I don't want to buy several helmets just to figure it out.  Maybe a Carbon Fiber scull cap will work?  Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Randy

That's exactly what I use. Tighten the strap and hold on!!! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

CAFatBoy2006SE

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO OCD

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

Novelty helmets for me too. Get a bandanna or rider cap it will keep it on better and tighten the strap. Skidlids for life! Cheers!

2006 Screamin’ Eagle Fat Boy
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
18" Drag Specialties Big Buffalo 1.5" Ape Hanger
Custom Mirrors
Eliminator® LED Turn/Brake License Plate Frame
Legend Air Ride
Kuryakyn Lizard Maximus LED Kit
Adjure Diamond Cut Trillient Headlamp & Spots w/ Blue Dots
Nacelle Kit

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »

I wear a Star Wars Darth Vader mask. It keeps the wind and bugs off, and I can hear the motor just fine. Sometimes I get a little flack from cops, but I never have gotten a ticket.

You know, I'm kidding.... LOL. I have a H-D carbon 1/2 helmet. It's light and the wind doesn't affect it much as long as I leave on the visor. It looks a little goofy, but it's effective. (let's see how many people freak out when they read the first sentence  ;D )

CAFatBoy2006SE

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO OCD

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »

I wear a Star Wars Darth Vader mask. It keeps the wind and bugs off, and I can hear the motor just fine. Sometimes I get a little flack from cops, but I never have gotten a ticket.

You know, I'm kidding.... LOL. I have a H-D carbon 1/2 helmet. It's light and the wind doesn't affect it much as long as I leave on the visor. It looks a little goofy, but it's effective. (let's see how many people freak out when they read the first sentence  ;D )
OMG a Darth Vader mask! LOL I read the rest. That I can imagine tho and is funny as hell. I wonder if a cop would even stop you or just snap a photo? Cheers!

Custom Mirrors
Legend Air Ride
Nacelle Kit

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:10:19 PM »

I was going to suggest turning the helmet around. my experience with visors(even small ones) are, they usually pick up more wind then without one.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:19:47 PM »

Novelty helmets Rock, unless you know you're gonna crash. If I knew that, I'd stay home anyhow.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 05:22:43 PM »

I've had mine since they first started makin them.  early 80's I believe.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

With regards to a windshield for the FB, you might want to take a look at these:  http://www.windvest.com/products/products.html

I looked at all kinds of windshields for my SEVrod...this one attaches easily/quickly, has quality chrome, and the plastic is thick and colored all the way through, if you get a tinted one.  It takes the blast off your face and chest, which helps a LOT.  Also deflects some of those critters trying to put their a-hole where their mouth used to be.

They make one for the SEFB too...takes about 5 minutes to put it on.

If you like the look of a novelty helmet, but want one that will actually keep your skull from cracking, take a look at these DOT approved ones:  http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »

hdhog,
in addition to the helmets Terry mentioned, try the following :
http://www.nexlsports.com/
I like the smaller half helmet, these are light weight and DOT, as well as carbon fiber, good luck john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 07:21:32 PM »

hdhog,
in addition to the helmets Terry mentioned, try the following :
http://www.nexlsports.com/
I like the smaller half helmet, these are light weight and DOT, as well as carbon fiber, good luck john
I've had a  NexlSports helmet for almost five years.  They are minimal but DOT.  Unfortunately, without a windshield, over 65 mine rides up and looks like a yamaka (not correct spelling) .  The strap keeps loosening up. 
They need a helmet that you could fit to your head the way you can customize ski boots.  When in NH, I go topless :)
Any day on the bike is a good day.

CAFatBoy2006SE

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO OCD

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »

looks like a yamaka (not correct spelling) .

:ROFLOL:

Custom Mirrors
Legend Air Ride
Nacelle Kit

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 12:50:18 AM »

Thanks Guys.  You are too much.  I think the Carbon Fiber Dot helmets from ACC are just the ticket.

cigarmike

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »

If you like the look of a novelty helmet, but want one that will actually keep your skull from cracking, take a look at these DOT approved ones:  http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Id not recommend this company, They sent me the wrong size for my wife, and my helmut was almost perfectly round...of course, a human head is not perfectly round, so i sent them back, having to pay shipping of course, and they do offer a money back no questions asked, but you are still out the shipping handling fees. So they said they would ship the correct size for laurie, and they would re-shape mine, and if Im not happy with them, I will have to pay another $15 to get my money back. so that will be $45 in shipping back and forth fees, that I will be out, and no helmuts. They also send you 3 foam liners , all different sizes to get the correct fit, they velcrow into the inside, not real happy with this either. :smilie_daumenneg:

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

HDHOG1,

Try these guys out.  Highly recommended!  I have one and they delivered it in one week. I am very happy with mine and its better than your standard skid lid.  I also have been through about 6 helmets that either choked the crap out of me or made me look like Kazoo from the Flintstones.  They come in DOT as well but their nonDot is made of carbon fiber AND kevlar with a high grade liner.  No slip at 70mph! 

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Good luck!

FXR3joe
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.