Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Helmet Report  (Read 5344 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Helmet Report
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »

Just picked this helmet up in Atlanta over the weekend.  I had a full face HJC Yikes for riding on the Vrod, and it is a great helmet, but I wear glasses, and getting them on and off through the faceshield proved difficult.  Plus, the cheek pads on the HJC made me look like a chipmunk.  The Nolan N102 I have has the J&M headsets/cord built in, so on the V the cord and mic were just dangling there in the way.  I like the flip face helmets better than anything else I've used, so took a look at this one.  Rode back (160+ miles) from Atlanta Monday at speeds up to 90mph....the helmet is very aerodynamic, extremely well ventilated, and easy to operate with two fingers.  Goes on and off the head without having to remove the glasses, and is very comfortable.  I actually think it's vented a bit better than the Nolan, but might be a bit cooler in the winter months.  It's a touch more noisy than the non flip HJC, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make.  I need to start wearing ear plugs anyway.  On the Vrod, a full face is mandatory gear for me...the bike is wickedly quick, and you'll eat a lot of bugs down here in Alabama without a full face on this bike.

Here's the HD write up:

Stealth Flame Modular Helmet

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for availability

The Stealth Flame Modular Helmet is the most advanced full-face modular helmet on the market. Constructed of a polycarbonate shell with solid cast aluminum hardware that rotates back and down as you lift the chin bar to provide the least amount of buffer and lift when riding with the bar up. Other features include grooved air channels in the shell for maximum airflow, a removable Nylex liner that wicks moisture away for added comfort, a removable face shield and ghosted flame graphics. Helmet bag is included and meets DOT requirements. KBC®, 3 lbs. 9 oz.

For a helmet to be effective, it must fit properly. Read about the steps you should take when fitting a helmet. Harley-Davidson strongly recommends that you visit your H-D dealer to try on helmets to determine the proper size and fitment.

98216-05V

MSRP US $275.00

And here's a picture:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Helmet Report
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

Just picked this helmet up in Atlanta over the weekend.  I had a full face HJC Yikes for riding on the Vrod, and it is a great helmet, but I wear glasses, and getting them on and off through the faceshield proved difficult.  Plus, the cheek pads on the HJC made me look like a chipmunk.  The Nolan N102 I have has the J&M headsets/cord built in, so on the V the cord and mic were just dangling there in the way.  I like the flip face helmets better than anything else I've used, so took a look at this one.  Rode back (160+ miles) from Atlanta Monday at speeds up to 90mph....the helmet is very aerodynamic, extremely well ventilated, and easy to operate with two fingers.  Goes on and off the head without having to remove the glasses, and is very comfortable.  I actually think it's vented a bit better than the Nolan, but might be a bit cooler in the winter months.  It's a touch more noisy than the non flip HJC, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make.  I need to start wearing ear plugs anyway.  On the Vrod, a full face is mandatory gear for me...the bike is wickedly quick, and you'll eat a lot of bugs down here in Alabama without a full face on this bike.

Here's the HD write up:

Stealth Flame Modular Helmet

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for availability

The Stealth Flame Modular Helmet is the most advanced full-face modular helmet on the market. Constructed of a polycarbonate shell with solid cast aluminum hardware that rotates back and down as you lift the chin bar to provide the least amount of buffer and lift when riding with the bar up. Other features include grooved air channels in the shell for maximum airflow, a removable Nylex liner that wicks moisture away for added comfort, a removable face shield and ghosted flame graphics. Helmet bag is included and meets DOT requirements. KBC®, 3 lbs. 9 oz.

For a helmet to be effective, it must fit properly. Read about the steps you should take when fitting a helmet. Harley-Davidson strongly recommends that you visit your H-D dealer to try on helmets to determine the proper size and fitment.

98216-05V

MSRP US $275.00

And here's a picture:

Why didn't you remove the cord from the Nolan? It's real easy to do and could have saved you some dough.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »

Still got the mic in the way, and it gets on my nerves just sitting there in front of my mouth.  Besides, that would have made too much sense...

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »

Still got the mic in the way, and it gets on my nerves just sitting there in front of my mouth.  Besides, that would have made too much sense...

I think the real answer is that you're like a woman, always out shopping for something to buy.  :o :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »

Yea, there is some truth to that as well.  One has to have the matching helmet to go with the theme/look of the bike, you know.  The ghost flames pick up the color in the V nicely.  d00d ain't got chit on me... ;)

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:09 PM »

Yea, there is some truth to that as well.  One has to have the matching helmet to go with the theme/look of the bike, you know.  The ghost flames pick up the color in the V nicely.  d00d ain't got chit on me... ;)

I will hand it to you, you are the uber researcher / shopper. Sure makes buying decisions a lot easier.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

I will hand it to you, you are the uber researcher / shopper. Sure makes buying decisions a lot easier.

Wait 'till I get started on these motor mods I'm going to do this winter.  I'll drive myself crazy.  I'm only doing it once though.

TTS Mastertune

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 02:27:26 PM »

You're right Chief!  In fact, from now on before I buy something for my bike I'm going to get Terry's input first!  You can pretty well be certian he's already got one!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

You're right Chief!  In fact, from now on before I buy something for my bike I'm going to get Terry's input first!  You can pretty well be certian he's already got one!
He's sorta like the canary in the coal mine, huh, Tommy.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:36:14 PM »

Of each!

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

He's sorta like the canary in the coal mine, huh, Tommy.   :2vrolijk_21:

;D Hadn't thought of it that way!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »

;D Hadn't thought of it that way!
Well maybe chief test scientist, research engineer and de-bugger would be the more proper title.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »

;D ;D :P :drink:

Funny how I can remember everything I want to about the bike, helmets, jackets, cams, GPS, Fly fishing, cameras...I can even remember and picture in my mind THE log I caught a fish from 20 years ago....but I can't remember anything at work for more than 15 minutes... ;D ;D

I will take the statements from above as compliments....Diva says I should open a consulting business for Harley shoppers... ;)

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »

You took the OCD seeds I planted when you first joined the site and feed them some serious "Miracle Grow". :shocked2: Now you have surpassed me, and I :2vrolijk_20: and  :znotworthy: to your accomplishments. Job well done. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »

;D ;D :P :drink:

Funny how I can remember everything I want to about the bike, helmets, jackets, cams, GPS, Fly fishing, cameras...I can even remember and picture in my mind THE log I caught a fish from 20 years ago....but I can't remember anything at work for more than 15 minutes... ;D ;D

I will take the statements from above as compliments....Diva says I should open a consulting business for Harley shoppers... ;)

Of course!

If not a consulting business, you could do a ton of endorsements!

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 21 queries.