Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Looking for a hot weather jacket  (Read 5561 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Looking for a hot weather jacket
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »

i am in the market for a jacket for this summer (leather or otherwise).  Living in the SF Bay Area, where temperatures rarely break 90 and can be in the low 60s for much of the summer, i usually wear a pretty heavy leather jacket.  Will be riding in some hot areas this summer (inland oregon, Idaho, California desert etc.) and need to rethink my gear. 

Looking for some suggestions to help narrow my search.

thanks

Free

dfrny

• '07 FLHTCUSE2
Re: Looking for a hot weather jacket
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »

Hi Free - I was looking for the same thing. I am in the Northeast - it gets warm and humid - but on long rides you cna go through a lot of different weather. I picked up a Harley Mesh jacket a couple of weeks ago and it really works well - keeps you cool when hot - but also offers some protection. Personally I never like to look like a HD billboard so I liked the fact that this jacket has a smaller / tasteful logo placement. Between the mesh that allows air to circulate and the light color it keeps you cool no matter how hot it gets. It is a great one jacket to have when its cool in the AM and going to get hot later in the day.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768053&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178689&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178689&bmUID=1181274634185&bmLocale=en_US
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:51:21 PM by dfrny »

JMACK

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSECUI 3-Tone Red
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTHSECUI Lt. Candy Cherry-Blk Ice w/Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:52:01 PM »

:mango:  Free - Check out www.motosport.com.  They have a great selection of mesh jackets at probably the best prices.  My wife wears a mesh jacket in the summer from www.power-trip.com.  It has elbow supports and a spine support and she really likes it.  Keeps the wind and sun off the skin, but allows your body to breath.  Hope this gives you some place to start.
JMACK
 :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 12:17:18 AM by JMACK »
2000 FLTR SECUI 3-tone Red
2003 95cu Wht Pearl Ultra
2005 2300cc Triumph Rocket III
2007 FLHTCUSEI Light Candy Cherry & Black Ice
JMack New Mexico
"Riding For Those Who Can't"

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 02:59:40 AM »

For a leather option I have found the Harley Torque coat very good in hot weather believe it or not...

It is a very thin leather really and can't use it in cold weather (fox creek for that), but in the summer open the vents on front and back and with the mesh inner lining it provides great flow through, rode 4 hours the other day in 90 degree rather comfy. :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

I have the mesh jacket that Dfrny posted about and like it a lot.  Have used it about a year now.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »

I have the aero leather jacket and it was really good riding in Colorado, although when it got above 90 it was a bit much.

Works great for the coastal climates and into the 90 range though and while moving it was still fine in the 90's.

Here's a new perforated leather jacket that is a limited edition for this summer from the MOCO.

Men's Throttle Perforated Leather Jacket

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for availability

Midweight perforated pigskin leather jacket with mandarin collar and a poly-mesh lining. Body armor pockets, action back, zippered cuffs and pre-curved sleeves. Hand-warmer pockets and inside pockets. Custom hardware. Solid leather elbow patches. Embroidered patch on right sleeve. Stripe detail across chest. Screen print on left chest and back.

97168-07VM MSRP US $275.00 - US $295.00 per size and/or color

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448770553&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302502367&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302502367&bmUID=1181302959398&bmLocale=en_US

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »

i am in the market for a jacket for this summer (leather or otherwise).  Living in the SF Bay Area, where temperatures rarely break 90 and can be in the low 60s for much of the summer, i usually wear a pretty heavy leather jacket.  Will be riding in some hot areas this summer (inland oregon, Idaho, California desert etc.) and need to rethink my gear. 

Personally, I think you stay cooler in dry, really high heat when you're covered up.  You basically stay cool by avoiding the sun and channeling the wind to carry away (completely) your body heat and sweat.  Do it right and you'll stay bone-dry, but you're going to find that you need to drink a lot of water.  Desert sucks it right out of ya.

I've worn a heavy Hein Gericke leather jacket for years, including the 7 years I lived just outside of Los Angeles.  As long as the ventilation is good in a leather jacket (REALLY REALLY GOOD - just OK is not OK), they work great.  If you stick with leather, you need vents on both sides of the forearms (best with gussets to create a scoop), long vents on the chest and back, and preferably under the arms too.  With that, I can tell you that you can ride through the Mojave desert in mid-summer and it will be tolerably comfortable.  A long-sleeve t-shirt (for the sun) and vest with chain extenders to keep the front open and catch the wind to channel it around you works well too.

Any jacket will be too hot when you're stopped, though, including mesh.  You're going to cook in the desert with anything but a t-shirt.  Oh, except at night, then you're going to freeze.

Get a helmet with good vents too, if you don't already have one. 

The one thing I never did solve was seat heat.  Some like to use those beaded covers like you see in cars. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »

Check out this thread...it's three jackets in one.  Probably the most versatile jacket I've seen to date.  I've got one ordered for me and the GF.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=13769.0
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 05:48:48 PM »

Check out this thread...it's three jackets in one.  Probably the most versatile jacket I've seen to date.  I've got one ordered for me and the GF.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=13769.0

that does look very interesting. When do you expect to get it? Would be curious what you think.

Free

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »

Personally, I think you stay cooler in dry, really high heat when you're covered up.   You basically stay cool by avoiding the sun and channeling the wind to carry away (completely) your body heat and sweat.  Do it right and you'll stay bone-dry, but you're going to find that you need to drink a lot of water.  Desert sucks it right out of ya.

I've worn a heavy Hein Gericke leather jacket for years, including the 7 years I lived just outside of Los Angeles.  As long as the ventilation is good in a leather jacket (REALLY REALLY GOOD - just OK is not OK), they work great.  If you stick with leather, you need vents on both sides of the forearms (best with gussets to create a scoop), long vents on the chest and back, and preferably under the arms too.  With that, I can tell you that you can ride through the Mojave desert in mid-summer and it will be tolerably comfortable.  A long-sleeve t-shirt (for the sun) and vest with chain extenders to keep the front open and catch the wind to channel it around you works well too.

Any jacket will be too hot when you're stopped, though, including mesh.  You're going to cook in the desert with anything but a t-shirt.  Oh, except at night, then you're going to freeze.

Get a helmet with good vents too, if you don't already have one. 

The one thing I never did solve was seat heat.  Some like to use those beaded covers like you see in cars. 

bc

DING-DING-We have a winner - If you are covered you body will not evaporate (Lose Water) as the wind goes over the exposed flesh.

LONG SLEEVES keep you Hydrated. Buy alas you  look real cool in your "wife beater" shirt and no-helmet :)  but it's your a$$  :coolblue:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »

that does look very interesting. When do you expect to get it? Would be curious what you think.

Free

I've played around with one in the store...easy to get the panels off to make it mesh.  The rain liner stores in a flat pouch attached to the back of the jacket (inside), adjustable waist...important for holding more  :drink: :drink:.  TCnVA got one and had good things to say about it while riding.  When it's below 75-80 and going to stay that way, I'll stick with my leathers, but for trips where I'm going to encounter temps going from 95 to 50, this seems like the perfect solution to me, and offers decent protection with the armor.  The girlfriend tried it on in the store as well, and was very comfortable.  Mine should be here next week from one of the 20% dealers.

TTS Mastertune

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 06:19:30 PM »

I've played around with one in the store...easy to get the panels off to make it mesh. the rain liner stores in a flat pouch attached to the back of the jacket (inside), adjustable waist...important for holding more  :drink: :drink:.  TCnVA got one and had good things to say about it while riding. when it's below 75-80 and going to stay that way, I'll stick with my leathers, but for trips where I'm going to encounter temps going from 95 to 50, this seems like the perfect solution to me, and offers decent protection with the armor. the girlfriend tried it on in the store as well, and was very comfortable. mine should be here next week from one of the 20% dealers.

My experience with Covertable cloths is that when the time comes to convert you are already in a$$ deep water or freezing cold or oppressive heat to do much about it . buy a vented jacket and if you get wet or cold or hot take it off and the money you save you can get a room for the night.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »

My experience with Covertable cloths is that when the time comes to convert you are already in a$$ deep water or freezing cold or oppressive heat to do much about it . buy a vented jacket and if you get wet or cold or hot take it off and the money you save you can get a room for the night.

It's a lot easier to store a panel of cloth than an entire leather jacket when the luggage compartments are all 90% full with two people's stuff on a week long trip.  I'll pull over when I get cold or hot, and zip the panel on or off as needed.

Good vented leather jacket = $350 +
This Jacket = $275

Where's the motel room?

TTS Mastertune

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

I’ve been trying out my perforated Fox Creek leather jacket the last couple of weeks. I went on 3 somewhat lengthy afternoon rides (≈300 mi) with high temps hovering around 90 and the jacket has been perfect.  I’ve been riding around the shoreline of Lake Huron, so every once in a while you get a breeze off the still cool lake and it shoots right through that jacket to cool you down.  Yesterday it hit 93 and that was my comfort limit, I never broke out in a sweat but I was very close and I was fortunate enough to only hit a couple red lights.  It was also only 32% humidity, if it were the normal upper 80’s that temp limit would surely come down.

On the other hand, I work on a military installation and am now required to wear a “Bright outer upper garment in daylight and reflective apparatus in darkness”.  I couldn’t bring myself to wear a construction vest so I found this latest in crotch rocket apparel on clearance, only in my size and only in red to match my SERK and it complies with the aforementioned requirements.  It is a really nice Gore-Tex jacket albeit somewhat short for someone who wears a tall.  Funny thing about wearing this jacket, not one single Harley rider (except for those who recognize me on the base) has waved back to me when I wear it back and forth to work, some Harley riders are more fickle than high school girls.

Gregg

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/TeknicSiroccoGoreRed44Front.jpg/Brand/TEKNIC/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Textile%20Jackets/Class1/

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »

It's a lot easier to store a panel of cloth than an entire leather jacket when the luggage compartments are all 90% full with two people's stuff on a week long trip.  I'll pull over when I get cold or hot, and zip the panel on or off as needed.

Good vented leather jacket = $350 +
This Jacket = $275

Where's the motel room?

That's Why I have A trailer - I don't need no convertable cloth's I can carry as much stuff as I need or don't need for TWO person's
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.