Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Looking for a hot weather jacket  (Read 5560 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Looking for a hot weather jacket
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »

I’ve been trying out my perforated Fox Creek leather jacket the last couple of weeks. I went on 3 somewhat lengthy afternoon rides (≈300 mi) with high temps hovering around 90 and the jacket has been perfect.  I’ve been riding around the shoreline of Lake Huron, so every once in a while you get a breeze off the still cool lake and it shoots right through that jacket to cool you down.  Yesterday it hit 93 and that was my comfort limit, I never broke out in a sweat but I was very close and I was fortunate enough to only hit a couple red lights.  It was also only 32% humidity, if it were the normal upper 80’s that temp limit would surely come down.

On the other hand, I work on a military installation and am now required to wear a “Bright outer upper garment in daylight and reflective apparatus in darkness”.  I couldn’t bring myself to wear a construction vest so I found this latest in crotch rocket apparel on clearance, only in my size and only in red to match my SERK and it complies with the aforementioned requirements.  It is a really nice Gore-Tex jacket albeit somewhat short for someone who wears a tall.  Funny thing about wearing this jacket, not one single Harley rider (except for those who recognize me on the base) has waved back to me when I wear it back and forth to work, some Harley riders are more fickle than high school girls.

Gregg

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/TeknicSiroccoGoreRed44Front.jpg/Brand/TEKNIC/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Textile%20Jackets/Class1/

Any other military personnel that have orange/black, black/orange scooters here is a inexpensive vest that would color coordinate to your scooter.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »

That's Why I have A trailer - I don't need no convertable cloth's I can carry as much stuff as I need or don't need for TWO person's

Trailer = 4K

I guess everybody makes their choices on equipment...if you don't choose to pull a trailer, then versatility comes into play.  But what do I know, I've only been carrying the stuff on my back for 35 years.  I choose not to pull a trailer, but to each his/her own.  I'm just offering alternatives to choose from.

Logic...if you carry a rain suit, when do you make the decision to pull over and put it on after it starts raining...after you're soaking wet, or before?  By the same token, do you pull over when you get freezing cold or overly heated before you put on extra layers or take them off?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »

It's a lot easier to store a panel of cloth than an entire leather jacket when the luggage compartments are all 90% full with two people's stuff on a week long trip.  I'll pull over when I get cold or hot, and zip the panel on or off as needed.

Good vented leather jacket = $350 +
This Jacket = $275

Where's the motel room?

The deal is that with summer desert heat, you need both the venting and insulation to pull off being reasonably comfortable.  You're probably good with the jacket you're describing until you get to about 100 degrees or so.  After that, heavy leather starts working better.  At 120-125 (or more) in the desert - that's air temps in the shade that are reported - you're going to get temps at 160+ near ground level and the pavement itself is (literally) blistering hot.  Now that I think of it, insulated boots are better in those conditions too.  Around your feet and lower legs, you get a blast furnace effect, the wind ain't cooling. 

If you can time your riding to avoid the really hot stuff, what you have in mind is just fine.  It's all a matter of what conditions you going to be riding in the most.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »

bc...the problem we have down South is that it's 98 degrees and 90% Relative Humugity.  You sweat, and it has no where to go, as the air is almost saturated anyway, so you just stay soaked all day, and have to drink lots of water every stop.  Riding, or any other outdoor activity in temps near 100 or greater...everybody really needs to pay attention to their body.  Covering up, especially in the dry heat of the Southwest, is a good idea as it helps retain some moisture that you don't even realize you're losing 'cause you might not be sweating much.  In the South, we really have to worry about our core temp getting too high because the body simply cannot cool itself off in this humid heat.  Just have to stop more often and cool down.  Most of us don't drink enough fluids while riding, IMO.  Myself included...

TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »

Working a Avon Breat Cancer 3-Day as a motorcyclist who helped the walker cross streets, we preached and were preached to that the ultimate goal was to hydrate and urinate.  If you are not getting rid of what you put in last 125 miles every stop, then you are under hydrated.  The army has color sheets in every bathroom facility showing the color of urine and how many quarts of water you need to drink to bring your hydration level up.  It should ideally always be clear.  If it is the color of tang -------------- get off your bike for the day, you are suffereing from heat exhaustion and have just not figured it out yet.  A slight tinge of yellow, just drink a quart of water.  Supposed to stay away from cafein - coffee, mountain dew, jolt etc. Some also favor the sport drinks and just this weekend heard about taking glucose pills.  Easy for a motorcyclist to carry on the bike.  But you gotta keep taking it in and getting it back out to keep your mind and body clear and able to ride.  So I am told.

:cherry:

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »

bc...the problem we have down South is that it's 98 degrees and 90% Relative Humugity.  You sweat, and it has no where to go, as the air is almost saturated anyway, so you just stay soaked all day, and have to drink lots of water every stop.   ...  In the South, we really have to worry about our core temp getting too high because the body simply cannot cool itself off in this humid heat.  Just have to stop more often and cool down.  Most of us don't drink enough fluids while riding, IMO.  Myself included...

I just moved from Richmond, VA, and boy are you right about the South!  Seems like I stopped more at gas stations and such, just to get something cold to drink.  I also took an extra t-shirt along sometimes.  I wonder if a material like polypropelene would work better?  Know anyone who carries black poly T's with HD logos?  (me neither ...)   Sweat-soaked jeans are a real drag, too.  Something else I discovered about the South - they run the air conditioning COLD down there, so when you when you walk in with your soggy jeans and shirt, guess what?

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

When it's too hot for my Fox Creek  leather I wear my Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket . 

It has a water/windproof zip out liner and an insulated zip out liner .

Very versatile, great protection and fit and a great price, I got mine for 125

I rode 600 miles over the weekend in the low 90's and it was very cool
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »

I just moved from Richmond, VA, and boy are you right about the South!  Seems like I stopped more at gas stations and such, just to get something cold to drink.  I also took an extra t-shirt along sometimes.  I wonder if a material like polypropelene would work better?  Know anyone who carries black poly T's with HD logos?  (me neither ...)   Sweat-soaked jeans are a real drag, too.  Something else I discovered about the South - they run the air conditioning COLD down there, so when you when you walk in with your soggy jeans and shirt, guess what?

bc

Polyprop would definitly be a better material....I've got a couple I wear, but there's a market out there for HD branded versions.  Cotton anything is pretty much useless unless the weather is mild and dry.  I wish I could find a pair of pants, cut like jeans, but made out of medium weight nylon, like hiking pants.  The polyprop underwear helps with the cotton jeans, but it would be even better with some different material for the jeans.

I like the Defender Kevlar reinforced jeans, but found out this past weekend that those don't do well in the really hot weather.  The Kevlar insulates my A$$ and makes it HOT.  The black mesh jacket I have does well so long as you're moving at a pretty good clip, but when you stop, holy chit!!!  Pavement temps yesterday here in Alabama had to be 120 degrees.  I'm hoping the new Transformation Jacket I have coming, which is silver gray mesh, will be a bit better.  The ladies version is a nice light silver, so should be good for the GF.

TTS Mastertune

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »

I like the Defender Kevlar reinforced jeans, but found out this past weekend that those don't do well in the really hot weather.  The Kevlar insulates my A$$ and makes it HOT. 

I appreciate the report on the Defender jeans.  I was wondering about them, but didn't know anyone who had actually tried them. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »

I appreciate the report on the Defender jeans.  I was wondering about them, but didn't know anyone who had actually tried them. 

bc

The jeans are extremely comfortable in the way they fit, but the Kevlar in the butt does insulate some...it's not something unbearable, but you can feel a difference for sure.  My GF has a pair of the Draggin jeans, and she has noticed it as well.  Safety/Comfort always seems to be a tradeoff, no matter what choices in riding gear we make.

TTS Mastertune

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »

I live in Memphis where it does get hot in the summer, and I have been wearing the H-D perforated leather jacket.  It works great, as long as you are moving it is not any hotter than a t-shirt. 

charlie

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »

dfrny                                                                                                                                                                I bought my wife and I the same jacket today and was looking for some fedback on it, and your write up on it was what i was hopeing for.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 12:15:19 AM »

I have the Harley mesh jacket and love it.  It is see through when you hold it up to light, has double layer of mesh and pads on elbows. Here is a pic.

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »

You might try the Rev'it Airforce or Air jackets. The Airforce is a bit more expensive but has a removable windproof/waterproof liner that you can snap in. The liner packs up very very small in a pouch when you are not using it.  These jackets really breathe.  I am a bit more fond of the Airforce as the material is more flexible and i like the ability to quickly pop in the liner.
Great quality and provide excellent protection for hot days when you would otherwise be cooking in your leather or going without the protection.  Been in weather in the 115 degree range and have been fine with the Rev'it.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »

I have the Harley mesh jacket and love it.  It is see through when you hold it up to light, has double layer of mesh and pads on elbows. Here is a pic.

I also have this mesh jacket and I love it. It is like air conditioning compared to any other warm weather jacket I have tried. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:29:29 PM by MJZ »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.