Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Convertable pants and quick drying socks  (Read 6156 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Convertable pants and quick drying socks
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:29:47 AM »

We are looking for convertible pants that will not melt if accidentally touched onto the exhaust pipes.  Does anyone have experience with the microfiber materials?  The Aerostich/Rider catalog has a couple of versions of convertable pants that sound very interesting but if they melt they are of little value for actual riding.  Has any of the CVO clan tried these pants out on the bikes?  We are looking for something smaller and lighter than jeans and the versatility of being able to zip off the bottoms and be in shorts sounds great for hot weather destinations. 

Blue Felix recommends the Wigwam ultimax socks.  I had looked at the Tilley's unholy socks.  I've had a couple of pair of the cruiserworks socks and loved them.  I do have a couple pair of the HD socks that are supposed to keep your feet at one temperature, but I know they are not quick drying.  Once I got into looking at socks, I became quickly overwhelmed.  We'd like the wicking material, and are interested in quick drying so we can wash in sink and have them dry by morning idea.  I know some folks had hinted at this, but I did not find a subject dedicated to it.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

:cherry:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:38:03 AM by Mrs.WeCVO »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: Convertable pants and quick drying socks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:50:54 AM »

We are looking for convertible pants that will not melt if accidentally touched onto the exhaust pipes.  Does anyone have experience with the microfiber materials?  The Aerostich/Rider catalog has a couple of versions of convertable pants that sound very interesting but if they melt they are of little value for actual riding.  Has any of the CVO clan tried these pants out on the bikes?  We are looking for something smaller and lighter than jeans and the versatility of being able to zip off the bottoms and be in shorts sounds great for hot weather destinations. 

Blue Felix recommends the Wigwam ultimax socks.  I had looked at the Tilley's unholy socks.  I've had a couple of pair of the cruiserworks socks and loved them.  I do have a couple pair of the HD socks that are supposed to keep your feet at one temperature, but I know they are not quick drying.  Once I got into looking at socks, I became quickly overwhelmed.  We'd like the wicking material, and are interested in quick drying so we can wash in sink and have them dry by morning idea.  I know some folks had hinted at this, but I did not find a subject dedicated to it.

Candy
take a look at Underarmour tactical socks... you know the materials very well.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »

Are you and Jamey riding to Nelson by way of Katmandu ?????????????????

Sorry, I didn't mean to shout  :oops:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:54:15 AM by SPIDERMAN »

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »

The pants we are wanting not only for Nelson, although the smaller packing size is of interest, but for where we live here in Central Virginia.  Man Oh Man!  This last couple of weekends have been brutally hot and humid.  The humidity here right in the area we live in is ridiculous.  We lived 130 miles North of here and 100 miles East of here in the past and it was not so bad, but right here, the water sits on top of the land in lots and lots of places, kinda boggy.  And jeans feel like they just trap that heat in.  We want some pants that won't melt on the pipes, but that able to breath a bit and ideally, when stopped you can zip the bottoms off and be wearing shorts for a little bit.  It is just unbelievable how hot it is and we have not even arrived at summer yet.   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »

Candy...go to Sierratradingpost.com and pull up either Bridgedale, or Smartwool lightweight or precision weight ski socks.  I have several pair of these.  They come up over the calf so they'll stay up and not creep down into your boots.  They wick moisture away from the foot, and will dry out as quickly as anything you'll find.

Here's the link...  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allWords=bridgedale%20ski%20socks&searchDescriptions=True

They might look a little dorky with shorts on...like you might start yodeling at any moment, but who cares if they're comfortable... ;)

checkout this page for their selection of convertible pants...lot's of choices in both cotton and other materials.  The Ex Officio brand is good stuff.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?&allAnyWords=&allWords=convertible%20pants&anyWords=&exactPhrase=&searchWithin=&N=0

This company has been around for years and years, have excellent customer service.  If it says "2nds", I would not worry...I have gotten many things from them and could not find a flaw.  Mostly it's factory overuns or last years colors/styles.  You can save a bunch of money.

If you don't already have some, I would also highly recommend some wicking boxer briefs for Jamie and some kind of similar pantie for you...hope I'm not being too personal here.  :nervous: The wicking underwear do make a difference in both cold and hot weather.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

...If you don't already have some, I would also highly recommend some wicking boxer briefs for Jamie and some kind of similar pantie for you...hope I'm not being too personal here.  :nervous: The wicking underwear do make a difference in both cold and hot weather.
Thanks Terry, that is exactly what I was hoping for.  We had bought the wicking t-shirts last year when JCZ and company posted a link about the vests and t-shirts.  We can have our long sleeve t's on and be so very cool.  They have UV protection too.  That sold us on the wicking clothing.  So we ordered the Tilley underwear advertised in Whitehorse catalog - saying that they will keep you dry and cool and you can wash out in a bathroom sink and they will dry overnight.  Two pair take you around the world.  Well, I know it is not as hot and humid here as where you live, but we are about miserable and have worn out those t's we got last year.  I've ordered some new ones but still wanted the pants.  Thanks for the reccomendations. 

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »

Candy...go to Sierratradingpost.com and pull up either Bridgedale, or Smartwool lightweight or precision weight ski socks.  I have several pair of these.  They come up over the calf so they'll stay up and not creep down into your boots.  They wick moisture away from the foot, and will dry out as quickly as anything you'll find.

Here's the link...  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allWords=bridgedale%20ski%20socks&searchDescriptions=True

They might look a little dorky with shorts on...like you might start yodeling at any moment, but who cares if they're comfortable... ;)

checkout this page for their selection of convertible pants...lot's of choices in both cotton and other materials.  The Ex Officio brand is good stuff.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?&allAnyWords=&allWords=convertible%20pants&anyWords=&exactPhrase=&searchWithin=&N=0

This company has been around for years and years, have excellent customer service.  If it says "2nds", I would not worry...I have gotten many things from them and could not find a flaw.  Mostly it's factory overuns or last years colors/styles.  You can save a bunch of money.

If you don't already have some, I would also highly recommend some wicking boxer briefs for Jamie and some kind of similar pantie for you...hope I'm not being too personal here.  :nervous: The wicking underwear do make a difference in both cold and hot weather.

er ah
COMMANDO!!!!!!!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:39:53 AM »

er ah
COMMANDO!!!!!!!!!

Spew score tonight:

Scot 1
Don  0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »

Spew score tonight:

Scot 1
Don  0

now theres a first!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:25:30 AM »

Just Tested:

Underarmour Boxer Jock:  Great potential, no seams on arears were the buttocks (say it like gump) meet the seat, therefore no rubbing or creasing to dig in, very comfortable to wear.  Wicking not yet tested as it was a short 2 hour ride.  Drying time more than 9 hours.  Washed last night in the sink, hung to dry at 9.  Still damp nine hours later.  Still may be the best choice.

Underarmour performance socks, crew length:  comfortable, wore with lace up boots soe less concerned with bunching, wicking not tested, washed last night in the sink, hung to dry.  Still damp nine hours later.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 07:52:52 AM »

Just Tested:

Underarmour Boxer Jock:  Great potential, no seams on arears were the buttocks (say it like gump) meet the seat, therefore no rubbing or creasing to dig in, very comfortable to wear.  Wicking not yet tested as it was a short 2 hour ride.  Drying time more than 9 hours.  Washed last night in the sink, hung to dry at 9.  Still damp nine hours later.  Still may be the best choice.

Underarmour performance socks, crew length:  comfortable, wore with lace up boots soe less concerned with bunching, wicking not tested, washed last night in the sink, hung to dry.  Still damp nine hours later.

/Bill

wow!  that doesnt seem to compute in my small brain... huh
but hey, its some very wicking stuff.... mebbe drape the drawers from your antenna next mornin? like a flag?  :huepfenlol2:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:24:17 AM »

real world test!

Update....just under 12 hours, Boxer Jock is now completely dry and wearable.  Socks still damp and unwearable.

since Anne's idea of camping is using hotel shampoo, we will also have access to a hair dryer...

wow!  that doesnt seem to compute in my small brain... huh
but hey, its some very wicking stuff.... mebbe drape the drawers from your antenna next mornin? like a flag?  :huepfenlol2:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:28:47 AM by WFP »

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:51:52 AM »

real world test!

Update....just under 12 hours, Boxer Jock is now completely dry and wearable.  Socks still damp and unwearable.

since Anne's idea of camping is using hotel shampoo, we will also have access to a hair dryer...

I feel so silly to not have tested the underwear I ordered to see how long it really takes to dry, so thanks for reminding me.  I will test it out.  The hair dryer is a good idea, but hopefully not needed.  I don't want to start tying clothes to my motorcycle to dry while driving down the road.  What if it is rain all day event?  No drying going on that way. 

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:54:51 AM »

The pants we are wanting not only for Nelson, although the smaller packing size is of interest, but for where we live here in Central Virginia.  Man Oh Man!  This last couple of weekends have been brutally hot and humid.  The humidity here right in the area we live in is ridiculous.  We lived 130 miles North of here and 100 miles East of here in the past and it was not so bad, but right here, the water sits on top of the land in lots and lots of places, kinda boggy.  And jeans feel like they just trap that heat in.  We want some pants that won't melt on the pipes, but that able to breath a bit and ideally, when stopped you can zip the bottoms off and be wearing shorts for a little bit.  It is just unbelievable how hot it is and we have not even arrived at summer yet.   
What about investing in leather chaps, and rivet air holes through them.....

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »

15 hours and the socks are almost dry...maybe one more hour.

I feel so silly to not have tested the underwear I ordered to see how long it really takes to dry, so thanks for reminding me.  I will test it out.  The hair dryer is a good idea, but hopefully not needed.  I don't want to start tying clothes to my motorcycle to dry while driving down the road.  What if it is rain all day event?  No drying going on that way. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »

Smallish items can be draped over an a/c / heater vent or unit in a room.  The continual air flow helps.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »

I'm kinda partial to the bike shorts route -- cheap, quick drying (on and off) and a little more padding....

Mark

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »

I'm way to old school for this thread. I'm gonna be a good goober and go away now and not bother you nice folks any more.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »

I'm way to old school for this thread. I'm gonna be a good goober and go away now and not bother you nice folks any more.

Ah, c'mon Brian, talk about your underwear  :huepfenlol2: .

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 01:08:08 PM »

Now this is not the BB we know and love.  I can take it if you yell at me about wanting to pack fewer clothes and am willing to do my laundry in the bathroom sink and put the same things back on in the morning.  You will only endear yourself more to me to know that you cared enough to say something. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »

16 hours and the socks are now dry...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »

16 hours and the socks are now dry...

If they weren't dry when I woke up they'd have gone in the trash.

White cotten socks - - - - -Kobe's Swap Meet, downtown San Diego 6 pairs for $6.

Trip of a lifetime - - - - - Priceless

You decide

Is that better Candy ?

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:43 PM »

Yes,  Much. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »

26 day trip...cannot carry enuf to throw out along the way...either buy, like HD shirts, or wash.  Also, ship home the worn HD shirts...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

26 day trip...cannot carry enuf to throw out along the way...either buy, like HD shirts, or wash.  Also, ship home the worn HD shirts...

Bill,
       You get a free pass from me on this one.

2 people, 1 motorcycle - 26 days.
You da man  !
 OK Anne too  :)

While I truly wish my wife were able to accompany me, I am soooooooooooo selfish about sharing my storage space.  I can carry enough for any amount of time on the road, so long as I do laundry every 10 days. But then again, LD was built from scratch for just this purpose wasn't it. A lifetime of experience went into the layout of that bike. The Big E is strictly a daytripper.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »

I can easily carry enough stuff and do plan on doing laundry, but when a company advertises that you can go around the world with two pair of underwear - wash in evening put back on in morning, I am intrigued.  Silly me, I was going to wait until we were on the road to try it out, so Bill trying his out helped me out a bit.  Now I know I got to try this too just to make sure I know what I am getting into.  Of course, we are two people on two bikes.  But Anne is a trooper.  Jamey pointed out last fall that when Anne came out of the motel room to head homeward, she was carrying a saddle bag liner, with hardly anything it it.  Not one of our liners or three t-bags would even be considered clost to being empty. 

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »

go around the world with two pair of underwear - 

GAG !

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 03:44:42 PM »

Anne gets a saddlebag, I get a saddlebag.  Tourpack carries computer and new shirts.  On top of tourpack will be raingear, beanies and probably heated liners.  every 6 days or so we will ship home a load of once worn shirts.

/Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »

Anne gets a saddlebag, I get a saddlebag.  Tourpack carries computer and new shirts.  On top of tourpack will be raingear, beanies and probably heated liners.  every 6 days or so we will ship home a load of once worn shirts.

/Bill

Really taking the Gerbing stuff this trip?  I'd (pretty well) decided not to. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »

with the raingear (thin HD GoreTex) as our only jacket it makes the most sense....I also remember the Friday Morning leaving Cripple Creek....very cold.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

OK, finally got around to doing the WFP trial - wash the underwear (from Tilley) and the Ladies’ crew style (with heel) (From Cruiserworks).  Out of the washer at 4:30 PM.  At 7:00 PM, both dry and able to be worn immediately. So the secret is obviously in the wringing out of the water.  Cool.   :coolblue:

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 07:20:47 PM »

Went to Sturgis in 05 -- temps in the 90-95 degree range.  Drove on up to Saskatoon for Canadian National Rally and the highs both days were in the 32 to 40 degrees -- froze my *ss off.

Since I'm riding solo, I'm taking my whole set to insure warm weather!!!  ;)

Mark

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »

er ah
COMMANDO!!!!!!!!!

I thought I'd do my part!!!

Just Tested:

Commando:  Great potential, One seam on areas were the buttocks (say it like gump) meet the seat, therefore slight rubbing or creasing to dig in, very comfortable not to wear.  Wicking, not going there!  Drying time 5 min.  Washed last night in the sink(ooohhh), hung my a$$ out to dry.  Dry 5 min later.  Still may be the best choice.

/Bret
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:00:36 PM by bgregston »
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »

I thought I'd do my part!!!

Just Tested:

Commando:  Great potential, One seam on areas were the buttocks (say it like gump) meet the seat, therefore slight rubbing or creasing to dig in, very comfortable not to wear.  Wicking, not going there!  Drying time 5 min.  Washed last night in the sink(ooohhh), hung my a$$ out to dry.  Dry 5 min later.  Still may be the best choice.

/Bret

OH PLEASE,  NO PICTURES!!!!!!!! 

Mark

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 09:17:21 PM »

Candy ... I saw some new HD convertible cargo pants today..presumably they wont melt on your pipes....
kinda cool

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »

OK, finally got around to doing the WFP trial - wash the underwear (from Tilley) and the Ladies’ crew style (with heel) (From Cruiserworks).  Out of the washer at 4:30 PM.  At 7:00 PM, both dry and able to be worn immediately. So the secret is obviously in the wringing out of the water.  Cool.   :coolblue:

Sounds like you have foound the best gear for your trip, Mrs.We - glad to hear it.  On socks, anything with Coolmax will work very well also, from my experience.  There are dozens of styles/weights available - very subjective.  Sierra Trading Post (Terry uses them as well) is a good source -  for future reference.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

hogasm

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »

Big B   you must be just like my uncle.   One pair of underwear=4 days
                                                            One pair of socks=2 days
toss in the trash and your luggage gets smaller along the trip

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »

Too funny, I remember in Cripple Creek when SanJoseDuke was describing the silky feel of his new fast drying briefs from the camping store.

I can still recall the sheepish grin as he mentioned that they were pretty comfortable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.