Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prescription Riding Glasses  (Read 5620 times)

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Prescription Riding Glasses
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »

I need new prescription riding glasses. Mine were stolen along with my helmet off of my bike Saturday night. I had just gotten a new prescription, so my question is , does anybody have experience with mail order or on line ordering. I'm not sure wheather I should just go to the place where I got my last ones and wait the 2 weeks or if there are any better alternitives. Thanks,  Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
Re: Prescription Riding Glasses
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:47:07 AM »

I've gotten two pairs from WileyX over the internet.  Great service, great glasses.  You just need to make sure you know exactly what you want before you order. If you need them in a hurry they can do an expedited turnaround in a couple of days........
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

As an OD who sells WileyX's and has done some others for some of my pahdners, while you may get good stuff from mail/internet, you're better off going to your local guy.  He can tailor things to your Rx and get you the best bang for your buck.  I'm usually less than Wiley's AND I'm willing to put much larger Rx's into a set of goggles/glasses.  I've got one buddy who's Rx is 2x "over the limit" as what Wiley and Panoptix will do- and those are working -and looking- great.

jm.02
arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 02:51:43 PM »

As an OD who sells WileyX's and has done some others for some of my pahdners, while you may get good stuff from mail/internet, you're better off going to your local guy.  He can tailor things to your Rx and get you the best bang for your buck.  I'm usually less than Wiley's AND I'm willing to put much larger Rx's into a set of goggles/glasses.  I've got one buddy who's Rx is 2x "over the limit" as what Wiley and Panoptix will do- and those are working -and looking- great.

jm.02
arctic

My prescription is 2x over the limit for the panoptix convertable goggles and I have been to some local places and they do not carry goggles at all.  Please advise how we can go to a local for goggles with prescription?  Thanks.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

Candy, you just need to find a doc who rides!! :huepfenlol2:  They'll be a better person anyway!  There are several doc's who ride in town, so there are lots of places here to get your script filled.  If you're not in too big a hurry, send them to me and I'll get them done for you. But before you do, let's chat so we get the right stuff for you.  My lab does usually take about 10 days to get them back to me, but I've had good luck so far.  Often the toughest thing for the patient to do is get used to the Rx with that much curve in the lenses.  The periphery can get quite distorted.  BUT- we're all 20/200 at best in our periphery anyway- so it's not any blurrier, just different.  I personally use a pair of last year's aluminumed framed Wiley's, but this year's SG-1's are very functional.  They come with 2 sets of (non Rx) lenses, a croakie and a strap to make them wirk like goggles instead of glasses if you prefer.  On top of that, they're not that expensive (~$100 I think- look at the Wiley X site, everybody has to sell them at normal retail  ;) )  and they're safety rated too.  We can chat in Nelson about your options if you like.  Just bring your Rx or remember the numbers.
arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

Hobo, 1st,  let me say that I'm sorry some low life stole your helmet and prescription glasses.  Too bad someone didn't see it and intervene on your behalf.  2nd,  I've tried everything from goggles over regular glasses to glasses under shields to the RayBan wraps that I'm using now.  You really have to match the glasses to the helmet I've found, because ea. pair/helmet interface differently.  Also, whether or not you're using a windscreen.  I use reg. wireframes in a small size under my full face helmet in order to 'fit'.  It's a on-going process that those of us w/o 20/20 vision have to endure.  I can't remember how nice it was to just be able to see a pair of 'shades' and be able to purchase them as most people can.  Oh well, good luck and let us know what you decide on.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »

Thanks for the imput guys, I'm taking Articdudes advice. I'm going to back to the shop where I bought the ones that stolen. They were Wylie Xs and was very happy with them. I do have my last set of script glasses made about 3 years ago. I dropped them and spider webbed one lense. I can get by with them till I get the new ones, but I'm gonna look like "Toad" in the movie American Graffiti. :-\

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »

LASIK
 Terry did it over 10 years ago and has never regretted it. He just carries a pair of readers in the tour pack. Two weeks and you are ready to ride with normal goggles.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

LASIK
 Terry did it over 10 years ago and has never regretted it. He just carries a pair of readers in the tour pack. Two weeks and you are ready to ride with normal goggles.

I had LASIK in 2000. 20-15 & 20-20.  Best thing I ever did for my eyes.  I also use reading glasses.  Needed reading glasses before the surgery, so no change there.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »

You folks may want to check this company out. many models and styles and they have a fast turnaround and great customer service too.

http://sportrx.com/

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »

I used to be a sunglass freak....that is until my eyes strated requiring an Rx, I wear wire framed no-line bifocals, for inside use, and no-line bifocal rayban wayfares for outdoor use, My problem is that on SERG I can get away with the wire frame glasses at nite...its not great, but i can get by. The big problem comes with riding my softail...no windshield...the wind blows through the inner sides of the glasses at the nose pad point and makes it impossible for me see. So I have to use over the glasses goggles...they put pressure on thr nose pads of the glasses an hurt like heck if I ride over an hour or so,    I would like to find a set of glasses that would be no line bifocal. have the ability to go from light to dark, something i could wear all day and night with out having to have three types of eye gear with me in case I stay out in the evening time, but they would also havr to look good, I dodnt want to look like a dork with a set wayfares that i'm trying to use at night.....any body have any glasses that they like the frame on and have used with sucsess :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »

hey Screem, I've had success w/ the Ray Ban Balirama (I think that's the name of the wrap around frames)....got two pair of bi-focals...one for night and one in the darkest bias.  They fit so tight on my face, that they're almost as good as sealed goggles keeping out the air.  They will only work w/ a beanie helmet, too big to go under a full shield helmet.  For that you can use your wire rims.   It's a pain, but with this set up I can still read instruments as well as see down the road.  It's what I finally have settled on in my glasses 'quest' and works for me.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »

thanx Spyd, appreciate the input
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »

I've gotten two pairs from WileyX over the internet.  Great service, great glasses.  You just need to make sure you know exactly what you want before you order. If you need them in a hurry they can do an expedited turnaround in a couple of days........

Agreed on the WileyXs. Like them a lot w/ the removable foam liner. Only problem is mine are bifocals. Went w/ the non graduated and can't get used the the "line" across them. Also, they cut the bifocal too low.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.