Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Riding Boots  (Read 15184 times)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Riding Boots
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:35:21 AM »

I have read many threads on different boots riders wear and never seem to find what I was looking for when searching. Noticed this section would be a good place to start a new thread where it would be easy to find. Sooooo, tell us about your hush puppies! ;D What kind do you wear and why? How much and where to get best buy? Thanks and God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Riding Boots
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »

That's easy for me... work provides me with Red Wings (black with steel toe, and steel shank). Figured if they good enough for work, they good enough for riding. ;D I do own a pair of H-D Engineer boots which are great for riding, but they aren
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:20:15 AM »

Good question, I have a pair of CAT boots for work - steel toe mid height, great for riding lousy for walking, my favorites are my Rocky Persuader 8" ....http://www.copshoes.com/p-ROC2084.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 10:51:06 AM by ceej »
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »

JR/Ceej...I'm pretty picky about my boots/shoes for comfort...I hike/backpack, ski, etc, so know the importance of properly fitting boots, and what a difference it can make in a day.

Having said that, I researched a lot before purchasing a pair of Cruiserworks boots for both me and Suzanne (aka..HarleyDiva).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:54:16 AM by tcnbham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 01:48:04 PM »

Thanks TC! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I believe this is what I wanted to see. If memory serves me right, alot of people here have these. I believe the WE's and Magoo have em and love em. I have the Redwings and Cat boots for work and they are great in the mud and grease. I'm looking for a waterproof boot to keep my feet dry and look good too. I probably have spent enough money in cheaper boots that I could have gone and got a nice set of these cruisrworks! I believe I'm leaning in this direction, can anybody give me a push! ;D Thanks again bro, God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 04:38:43 PM »

I also have the Cruiserwork boots. TC is right - great to walk around in. I had some Harley boots and felt like they had lead weights for soles, they just wore me out. The Cruiserworks are worth the money.

Bigdog

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »

Yet another push, JR... Cruiserworks.  TC detailed 'em pretty good. All I can add is they ARE waterproof. I stood in the Nantahala river back in July, just for chits n giggles, and no leaks [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]. I can walk all day in them. I got the ones with the zipper side, had them two years, and still love 'em... They're the only boots I have.  
Under new ownership since I bought mine, but new owner says the quality will not change. They are good people to deal with.
Buy some Cruiserworks Coolmax socks, while yer at it.  

Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »

Thanks bigdog and Garz! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I pretty much have made up my mind, just trying to decide which boot. I currently have the older version of the HD trooper boot. Love em but they don't make em any more and they are not waterproof. I believe I will be going with the lace up commando or defender. I have experienced heel slippage when I wear boots so I feel for me the laces would be better.

Garz, I did already have my eye on them coolmax socks! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Price seemed right too! Thanks for your inputs God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »

Cruiserworks
Both my wife and  I have been wearing them for at least 4 years. My wife ordered hers on line. The first pair did not fit her correctly. She called customer service and they sent her another pair no problem. If you wear them out they will re sole them for you.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »

Been wearing Red Wings for years but am thinking about a pair of Wesco's.  
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »

JR...you can't go wrong with either of those choices.  Their socks are nice too and are what Diva wears almost all the time...feet don't sweat, as they wick the moisture away.  Personally, I wear Bridgedale light ski socks as they come up above my calves and won't slide down...also the midwieght ski socks for cooler weather.  The Bridgedales are also a bit pricey, but I've had some of their hiking socks for 4 years and still wear them.  The ski socks have extra padding in the important places...bottom of the toe box area, bottom of the heels, and on the chin. Also have extra elastic accross the instep and calf area. They also wick the moisture away.  A cotton sock is useless, in my opinion, trapping moisture against your foot and actually makes them feel hotter and also colder in cool weather because your feet put off a lot of moisture whether you're aware of it or not.  Diva didn't believe all that crap until she started doing it, and now she's a believer in my sock/boot suggestions.

The soles on the Cruiserworks really grip, so give you confidence in your footing.

TTS Mastertune

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 12:50:32 AM »

Am on my second pair of Cruiserworks that I feel are fantastic & as stated above totally waterproof!  They are very comfortable in all types of weather, I used to take a pair of tennis shoes with me on over night trips to give my feet a break but with these I dont need to.  Also, I had my first pair resoled by them for less then half the cost of a new pair so now I have a back up just in case!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:59:46 AM »

Got mine ordered and also threw in the socks and polish! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks everyone for the push! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »

I wear the black army combat boot.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »

JR/Ceej...I'm pretty picky about my boots/shoes for comfort...I hike/backpack, ski, etc, so know the importance of properly fitting boots, and what a difference it can make in a day.

Having said that, I researched a lot before purchasing a pair of Cruiserworks boots for both me and Suzanne (aka..HarleyDiva).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:45:26 PM by MJZ »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »

Terry, wish I'd listened. Mine came today and went back today. Ordered them in a 10 and should have ordered the 10.5. But I always wear a 10 so I thought -----. But they could not have been nicer about sending them back and have the 10.5 on the way. I am very pleased with the workmanship and the high grade leather they use. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Good deal, Mark...which style did you wind up getting?  I got a pair of the side zips to wear when I ride to work, but still like my Defenders best.  They are nice folks, so no worries!!

TTS Mastertune

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:30 PM »

I went with the classic, I already have very comfortable 8" and 10" lace up SWAT tech boots. They have breathable uppers and can be a little chilly, so I decided to try the all leather Classic. They could not have been more accomodating in the exchange but I wish I listened to you, then I would not be waiting another week. :'(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:45:37 PM by MJZ »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 09:56:31 PM »

That's a good looking boot too, but wasn't suitable for my work...with the zips, they look kinda/sorta like a pair of regular shoes when my pants are over them.

The biggest advantage to the boots, besides the comfort, is that they are truely waterproof, so no need for protective rain gear on your feet!!  Hope they get 'em back to you soon  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

TTS Mastertune

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »

That's a good looking boot too, but wasn't suitable for my work...with the zips, they look kinda/sorta like a pair of regular shoes when my pants are over them.

The biggest advantage to the boots, besides the comfort, is that they are truely waterproof, so [highlight]no need for protective rain gear on your feet[/highlight]!!  Hope they get 'em back to you soon  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
That's why I got 'em in the first place... got tired of 'gaiters' and/or wet feet.  Mark, glad to hear their customer service is still great. I had to exchange mine, too!
I like the hard toe, 'cause I shift a lot with the toe, and my big toe doesn't hurt now. :)
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 03:49:36 PM »

You know how after becoming so accustomed to wearing you seat belt in your cage you just feel funny without it fastened?  Well that's the way I feel about my Cruiserworks boots.  I very, very seldom ever get on my bike without them and if I do I just don't feel right.  They are so lightweight, comfortable and feel so sure-footed when stopping that just don't want to wear anything else.  Highly recommend.   [smiley=banana.gif]

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 07:03:46 PM »

Word to the wise...
Changing boots could mean adjusting the clutch pedal.

Got a new pair of shoes and the toe box is taller than my old ones. Found myself taking a short ass ride as I couldn't get my damn "fat toe" under the shift lever.The new boot's much stiffer and with the slight extended reach, I almost had to stand up and lean over the bars to get my boot unda' thar!
Damn you heel and toe shifters!

mrigeo

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 07:01:42 PM »

Cruiserworks are all you need. Keep my feet cool during the summer and warm in the winter. And of course dry! Walked miles and miles in my first pair in Milwaukee during the '03 party. Never had any problems. Only way to improve these boots is to have Harley dealers offer them.  ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 07:05:04 PM »

..... Only way to improve these boots is to have Harley dealers offer them.  ;)
Not sure if we want this? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Put
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 06:01:23 PM »

Word to the wise...
Changing boots could mean adjusting the clutch pedal.

Got a new pair of shoes and the toe box is taller than my old ones. Found myself taking a short ass ride as I couldn't get my damn "fat toe" under the shift lever.The new boot's much stiffer and with the slight extended reach, I almost had to stand up and lean over the bars to get my boot unda' thar!
Damn you heel and toe shifters!
Ran into the same problem with the HD Vintages.  It's tough to get the toe under the shifter, so I just use the inside of foot to tap it up with the edge of the sole. Seems to work, but bugs me a bit.  If I try to stick the toe under, I have to balerina it, or I find myself not fully releasing the gear.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »

Another plug for Cruiserworks based on the recommendations on this site.  I just received a pair of Defenders and they really impressed me especially the grip on the sole.  I have been riding with a HD "Ease" boot which they classify as an "after riding" boot.  Not sure why you would take off one pair of boots to put on another, but that is HD marketing for ya.  Anyway, I bought them about a year ago because they were/are very comfortable to both ride and walk in, HOWEVER, they do not wear worth a damn, the rubber sole at toe and heel have taken a beating and they now grip like ice skates, which is what motivated me to make a switch.  Sure footing is the most important factor for me and Cruiseworks delivers!  
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »

I recently picked up a pair of Chippewa motorcycle boots (12" black Odessa Rally) . They are the best bike boots I've ever had . USA made, calf skin lined , re-inforced in the shifter area, replaceable Vibram sole , and they have a velcro entry which is a snap to get into.

They are also rebuildable although it will be a long time before they'll need it.

These are very similar to my trusty 20 + yr old Red Wing engineer boots, except made for bikes.  list was $215  I got them on sale for $125   a steal
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »

Good to know. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Also want to thank those that turned me on to Cruiserworks, got the Classic's a couple of weeks ago, after ordering the wrong size. When they say order the largest size you can, they mean it. Took over 2 months from the time I originally ordered the wrong size but they finally made it and they are great. Very comfortable with a very good sole (soul, pun intended) [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 12:06:36 PM »

Good to know. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Also want to thank those that turned me on to Cruiserworks, got the Classic's a couple of weeks ago, after ordering the wrong size. When they say order the largest size you can, they mean it. Took over 2 months from the time I originally ordered the wrong size but they finally made it and they are great. Very comfortable with a very good sole (soul, pun intended) [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Damn, Mark...what kind of foot do you have?  That was a long wait, as they are usually very fast in delivery.  Oh well, all's well that ends well.

One side note about the Cruiserworks boots...I have the Defenders (lace up), and a pair of the zip ups (for when I ride to work).  I wear the Defenders 90% of the time...for a while, I was carrying a pair of shoes to wear after riding, but the boots are SO comfortable, I now just take a pair of flip-flops for use as slippers.  They are probably the most comfortable shoes/boots I own, bar none.  The odd thing about it is that they are very warm as well, but not hot in the summer  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  I wear a pair of lightweight ski socks (or midweight if it's cold)...Bridgedale socks... with the boots and my feet stay absolutely toasty.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 12:54:19 PM »

I recently picked up a pair of Chippewa motorcycle boots (12" black Odessa Rally) . They are the best bike boots I've ever had . USA made, calf skin lined , re-inforced in the shifter area, replaceable Vibram sole , and they have a velcro entry which is a snap to get into.

They are also rebuildable although it will be a long time before they'll need it.

These are very similar to my trusty 20 + yr old Red Wing engineer boots, except made for bikes.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »

No claim to waterproof;

Men's Chippewa Motorcycle Black 27862

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »

No claim to waterproof;

:( Damn, I really liked the looks of that boot. :'(

Guess a little saddle soap, and rain gators would be in store if one were to choose that boot. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 09:09:20 AM »

FYI, The Chippewas I have are oiled and waxed according to the booklet I got with them , and waterproof.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:10:56 AM by nidan »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 10:11:09 AM »

FYI, The Chippewas I have are oiled and waxed according to the booklet I got with them , and waterproof.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 02:25:15 PM »

A local shop called Horsetown , they have an annual sale and a section for Bikers.
My wife has 4 horses so we stop by there periodically. As soon as I saw them I liked them.
The list was high , the normal sale prices was still a bit steep , but just that weekend they has an additional sale.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:59:37 PM by nidan »

harleydiva

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:15 PM »

Nidan,
That is a nice looking boot, compared to the Cruiserworks boot are these waterproof, and how are they for walking? Also where did you get them "we" are always looking for a "steal". ;) Thanks.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

d00d, trust me ... listen to your Amigo, Terry ... the Defenders are the BEST!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  
Comfortable, warm, waterproof ... we hiked in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest with no discomfort.   :)

harleydiva

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »

Ok, that just put them back up on the "may want" to have list (I really like the look). You mind saying where you got such a deal on them?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

d00d, walk away from those boots!   ;D   Order the Defenders.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 03:53:44 PM »

A local shop called Horsetown , they have an annual sale and a section for Bikers.
My wife has 4 horses so we stop by there periodically. As soon as I saw them I liked them.
The list was high , the normal sale prices was still a bit steep , but just that weekend they has an additional sale.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »

d00d, trust me ... listen to your Amigo, Terry ... the Defenders are the BEST!
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »

Gary...you can keep them relatively waterproof by cleaning first with Saddle Soap, then after thoroughly air drying, treat them with a good waterproofing product like Duxbak, Sno Seal, or other leather boot waterproofing treatment products. you can find those products at a good backpacking/hiking store.  It's the seams where the boot upper attaches to the sole that gets you wet (mostly), and is also the hardest to keep sealed, but it can be done. Depends on how it's stitched. If the upper is turned out and stitched to the sole (usually apparent because the sole has a "lip" that is wider than the foot), the stitches are obviously more difficult to keep sealed.  If the leather turns in where the stitches are not exposed, the boot is typically easier to keep waterproof, but it is a more difficult manufacturing process. I had a pair of great Italian made backpacking boots for years and that's what you had to do to them to get them waterproof.  In really wet weather or snow, my feet would still get wet after a day or two, no matter what I put on the leather/seams.  Not soaked, but damp. It all depends on how the leather is tanned and whether the waterproofing permeates the entire hide or is just on the surface.

Sorry for getting off on this tangent, but I've "studied" on this kind of stuff for years...nothing will screw up a great hike like a crappy pair of boots.  I'm also an OCD A/R backpacker, skier, fly fisher, and mountain bike rider.  GearHead would be the term  ;) ;)

That is a nice looking boot...I'd like to see a pair in person.

TTS Mastertune

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »

...but I like the looks of the Chippewa's. ...
I think they look real good too.  Very functional.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

The darn Libra in me comes out at times like this.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I want a pair of cruiserwerks, my husband has a pair he's had for years and years, but I like these Chippewas too.  Could go this way...... could go that way..... I will just keep thinking about it.

[smiley=pepper.gif]

harleydiva

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

Not trying to knock these boots, but I like the looks of the Chippewa's.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the Chippewa's, but I've been around TC so long that I'm into function more than form for the most part!   ;D

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »

I think they look real good too.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »

Gary...you can keep them relatively waterproof by cleaning first with Saddle Soap, then after thoroughly air drying, treat them with a good waterproofing product like Duxbak, Sno Seal, or other leather boot waterproofing treatment products. you can find those products at a good backpacking/hiking store.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 05:41:08 PM »

That's what I was thinking too. I own a pair of "Gator's" that I can put over my boots for riding when it really rains hard, however I've found that just keeping my feet behind the lowers when it rains keeps them for the most part dry. I'm not into riding somewhere and then getting off bike and going hiking so the benefit of extended walking of the Cruiserworks boot doesn't interest me. So I guess I'm looking for a boot that will be comfortable for riding, is fashionable (pleasing to the eye for me), and can be treated to be water repellent.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Gary, if you put the good waterproofing stuff on them that I mentioned (there's probably even better products out there now), you'd be good to go 98% of the time.  If they are comfortable to wear all day long for you, and they have a good grippy sole, that's all that matters.  I just don't want my dogs barking at the end of a long days ride.

TTS Mastertune

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »

As they are already oiled and waxed unless you are going swimming in them ,  it shouldn't be a problem . I read 1 review from a guy in Florida that has a pair and has ridden in thier torrential rain with no complaints.  

Nothing leather is ever completely waterproof , but you can always use Sno-seal or Mink Oil to help.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »

I love Chippewa boots. I wear them always when I ride.Here is a pic of the boots I wear.  Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

BaronStump

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »

Ordered my new Cruiser Commandos today.  Now for those out there using an APO address, the Web site only shows UPS shipping but once they see the address is an APO, they automatically ship out USPS Priority...to avoid all confusion or delays, call the 800 number.  They were very friendly and took the order in minutes!!  Ship out same day.  
Thanks for all the notes above!!!
Shiny side up, -Stump
'06 FLHTCUSE Haze-n-Black
Too Numerous to List
1999 Indian Chief (Custom Paint - Red)
ThunderHeart Single Fire
Woods W6H Prowler Cam
HackerLabs Hacker B
Too Much Chrome & Engine changes to list

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 12:43:52 PM »

Ordered my new Cruiser Commandos today.

TTS Mastertune

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »

I strayed from the usual with my boots. I bought these ICON Super Duty II's. They have a cross cinch similar to what you have on ski boots. I tighten it a bit when I am riding and get great support, loosen it and I can walk all day.

I also have some of my police work boots that I break out on occasion. Same deal, support and comfort.
Rick
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »

Just noticed this thread and the discussion on the Chippewa's.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Bagger

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »

Having worn jump boots and "cruit" boots for almost 22 years, I didn't want to wear them when I ride.  The object is to forget about work.  I got a $50 certificate from HOG for completing an MSF ERC back in 2003, so I used that and another $55 to buy a pair of HD boots.  They're pretty beat up now, but they're well broke in, and they're still serviceable.  I'll probably resole them before I think about buying a new pair.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 08:27:52 AM »

Just noticed this thread and the discussion on the Chippewa's.

And your point is???  :nixweiss: :D ;D :D  :drink: :bananarock:

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »

TCn
thanks for the advice on the Cruiserworks.  Just got my pair and they are fantastic.  I picked up the Commando's.  They do fit a bit small and narrow but after some walking, wearing and shoe trees they are stretching out perfectly.  They are probably the most comfortable boots i have worn. Am actually wearing them all weekend.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »

TCn
thanks for the advice on the Cruiserworks.  Just got my pair and they are fantastic.  I picked up the Commando's.  They do fit a bit small and narrow but after some walking, wearing and shoe trees they are stretching out perfectly.  They are probably the most comfortable boots i have worn. Am actually wearing them all weekend.

Glad you like them, R...they just get better :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »

For anyone interested in the Cruiserworks boots and wants to save big bucks, Dennis Kirk has several different styles in limited sizes on special closeout pricing.

I just bought the Defenders that were marked down from $260 to $104 with free shipping and they are great.
Brand new in the box and not returns.

If interested check them out.

Here is a link.
Not all are listed on page 1 make sure to check page 2

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?resultType=results&store=&searchString=cruiserworks%2Bis_nla%253A%2B0%2B%2Bbrand_id%253A%2B160&userString=cruiserworks&page=1

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:25 PM »

For anyone interested in the Cruiserworks boots and wants to save big bucks, Dennis Kirk has several different styles in limited sizes on special closeout pricing.

I just bought the Defenders that were marked down from $260 to $104 with free shipping and they are great.
Brand new in the box and not returns.

If interested check them out.

Here is a link.
Not all are listed on page 1 make sure to check page 2

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?resultType=results&store=&searchString=cruiserworks%2Bis_nla%253A%2B0%2B%2Bbrand_id%253A%2B160&userString=cruiserworks&page=1

That is an unreal deal on a great boot!!  If they've got your size (anyone) you better jump on that one...order the largest size of any shoe you've ever worn...normally, I wear an 8, but in certain shoes I wear an 8.5...got the larger size and it fits like a glove.

TTS Mastertune

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

Thanks for the link and the thread.  I also own a pair of Cruiserworks.  I have the classics.  The socks are a must really keeps your fit dry and comfortable on long rides.  Most sporting good stores have athletic socks like these (I have bought some called Thor lo) just make sure they are the thin kind and not the thick socks.  Highly recommend the Cruiserworks also.   :mango: :apple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21: T MAC 
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »

I been reading about the Cruiserworks on this site. I was ready to order about a month ago but never got around to actually doing it.
Doing a search last week I seen the sale on the Dennis Kirk site, checked it out and they had my size. Normally a 11 but they had the 11.5 and based on what everyone here says to get a 1/2 size larger, glad I did, they fit perfect. Also got the CoolRider socks and a jar of the leather creme.

Thanks to all for the info on the CruiserWorks.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »

I have not looked at any of the previous, have any of you guys tried the Danner mad Boots.

I have a pair of the Danner Fort Lewis Boots, with the 600 grams of thinsulate, nice and warm and waterproof.

I also have a pair of the MAGNUM Hi Tec Boot, very light almost like wearing a pair of slippers.

geezerglide

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »

Redwing for comfort and you will have them for life if taken care of :coolblue:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

I checked out the Kirk site and they had a pair of the Defenders just like mine...in my size, which is kind of hard to find...so, $103 bucks for a pair of $260 boots, I got an extra just for "backup".  They'll be there when I wear the other ones out... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

Hey, TC thanks for all the info on the boots. You and a couple of others convinced me to buy.
I glad I happen to find this sale, for this price you can't pass them up. I'm just glad I didn't order a month ago.
For those that want or need boots they really should check out this sale to see if their size is available.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »

Bates makes a 9" insulated, gore tex, lace up boot, most likely the one that H-D sells under the FXRG label.  You can get them for about $150 from L.A Police gear.  Do not worry about the insulated part bothering you in the summer as it works then to keep the engine and road heat away from your feet.  Did some long days last year and they are very comfortable.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »

I'll echo the comments on both Red Wing and Chippewa.  I wear the Red Wings most of the time as the Chippewas I own are really heavy.  I personally think the Chippewa premium boots (leather-lined) are the best made boots, period, but they're pricey.  I've had my winter pair for - count 'em - 35 years.  Design hasn't changed one bit, either.
'07 FXSTSSE

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »

I just picked up a pair of Kodiak HD weather proof boots. Very comfortable out of the box. I previously had HD weather proof boots but after six plus years they started to show signs of wear. Highly recommend these boots. :2vrolijk_21: :orange:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

TXroadhogg

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:34 PM »

Another vote for the Cruiser boots. Very comfortable to walk in. I need to order another pair.
I lowsided in a sharp corner last August and caught my left boot under the engine guard. My ankle was pinned to the pavement during the slide until I hit the curb and stopped. Ankle broke but the Cruiser boot saved my foot and ankle from major damage. VERY happy I had them on.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2007, 08:45:26 AM »

Tony Lama's black ostrich.  Oil proof sole added by my cobbler.  Comfortable as can be especially for the warmer riding season.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2007, 10:23:34 AM »

Tony Lama's black ostrich.  Oil proof sole added by my cobbler.  Comfortable as can be especially for the warmer riding season.
:worthless:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »

Picked up a pair of TL Black Ostrich with a grippy motorcycle style sole on them out in Utah last year.  Very comfortable boot, grips well on the pavement when stopped, and is oil proof.  Only the lower portion of the boot is Ostrich on mine though.  Nice to wear, but I wouldn't want to get caught in a rainstorm in them, so they are my nightime/go out to eat/drink riding boots.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »

Picked up a pair of TL Black Ostrich with a grippy motorcycle style sole on them out in Utah last year.  Very comfortable boot, grips well on the pavement when stopped, and is oil proof.  Only the lower portion of the boot is Ostrich on mine though.  Nice to wear, but I wouldn't want to get caught in a rainstorm in them, so they are my nightime/go out to eat/drink riding boots.
In other words they are your :pimp: Daddy boots. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: 8) ;D

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »

Terry - I will post a pic of them in my next post.  Pair I bought in Texas were leather soled so I had them redone.  They are very comfortable.  I used Doc's on them and sprayed them twice with silicone but agree - for a wet ride they would not be best.  I have some gaiters that fit over them, though.  I'm a gear head on boots and socks etc. as well.   Quail hunting in bad boots many years ago left a lasting impression that I have not repeated.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2007, 11:47:45 AM »

In other words they are your :pimp: Daddy boots. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Nightime is the rightime................... :vrolijk27:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »

:worthless:

Since you asked:

Oil proof sole

Close up of ostrich grain

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2007, 11:53:02 AM »

Since you asked:

Oil proof sole

Close up of ostrich grain

I bet you don't use the toe shifter w/them on.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »

I like the black, looks great :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2007, 12:29:39 PM »

Terry - I will post a pic of them in my next post.  Pair I bought in Texas were leather soled so I had them redone.  They are very comfortable.  I used Doc's on them and sprayed them twice with silicone but agree - for a wet ride they would not be best.  I have some gaiters that fit over them, though.  I'm a gear head on boots and socks etc. as well.   Quail hunting in bad boots many years ago left a lasting impression that I have not repeated.

Mike...Mine are not the full quill Ostrich like yours, but they are very comfortable, with some kind of special sole that TL has..can't remember the name of it...and a cushioned insole.

I'm a hopeless Gear Head from my years of backpacking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.  Nothing will f up a trip into the woods worse than having the wrong footwear and other gear.  I wear Bridgedale light or medium over the calf ski socks while riding, depending on the temps, and have found the Cruiserworks Defender boot to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned for both riding and walking around at things like the venues, etc, plus they are completely waterproof without having to treat them with anything other than a bit of black boot cream or a touch of the Doc's stuff for color when needed.  Kevlar toe and heel cups too.  I also discoverd the Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version) gloves last year from Fox Creek Leather...even in temps of nearly 90 degrees, the gloves are not hot.  Gore Tex rain gear is money well spent too.  All that stuff can make a bad situation tolerable instead of being miserable.

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »

Mike...Mine are not the full quill Ostrich like yours, but they are very comfortable, with some kind of special sole that TL has..can't remember the name of it...and a cushioned insole.

I'm a hopeless Gear Head from my years of backpacking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.  Nothing will f up a trip into the woods worse than having the wrong footwear and other gear.  I wear Bridgedale light or medium over the calf ski socks while riding, depending on the temps, and have found the Cruiserworks Defender boot to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned for both riding and walking around at things like the venues, etc, plus they are completely waterproof without having to treat them with anything other than a bit of black boot cream or a touch of the Doc's stuff for color when needed.  Kevlar toe and heel cups too.  I also discoverd the Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version) gloves last year from Fox Creek Leather...even in temps of nearly 90 degrees, the gloves are not hot.  Gore Tex rain gear is money well spent too.  All that stuff can make a bad situation tolerable instead of being miserable.

Terry - have worn Tony Lama and other good boot manufacturer's products for years.  If they fit right and are comfortable and give good service, what more can we ask?  Lasting nearly forever, maybe?  Some of my boots are on their third plus soles, soooo......

Will try that Crusierworks Defender boot of yours at some point.  Kevlar toe & heel is a plus, besides they are waterproof. I have several GoreTex hunting boots & hiking boots and they have all worked great and I suppose they would be ok riding boots as well.  I backpacked/hiked/hunted for years & have tons of stuff for various applications. 

Those gloves of yours are of current interest - Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version). I have a pair of waterproof thin leather HD gloves that work well but are too hot for hot weather. 

If money were no object, the FXRG gear the Moco offers is great.  At some point, on that subject, money will no longer be an object and I will likely purchase some/all.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »

Terry - have worn Tony Lama and other good boot manufacturer's products for years.  If they fit right and are comfortable and give good service, what more can we ask?  Lasting nearly forever, maybe?  Some of my boots are on their third plus soles, soooo......

Will try that Crusierworks Defender boot of yours at some point.  Kevlar toe & heel is a plus, besides they are waterproof. I have several GoreTex hunting boots & hiking boots and they have all worked great and I suppose they would be ok riding boots as well.  I backpacked/hiked/hunted for years & have tons of stuff for various applications. 

Those gloves of yours are of current interest - Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version). I have a pair of waterproof thin leather HD gloves that work well but are too hot for hot weather. 

If money were no object, the FXRG gear the Moco offers is great.  At some point, on that subject, money will no longer be an object and I will likely purchase some/all.

I too have the hiking boots in a couple of variations, but most of them are too heavy/hot for me to wear riding, and are generally a bit overkill in that regard.  I don't know what it is about the Lee Parks gloves...must be the deerskin is more breatheable, though it is not waterproof, but in warm weather, it doens't matter a lot about that, as they will dry quickly and not get stiff.  Damn things are 80 bucks though, but I've used them for a year and they are like new...seams won't rip apart when you need them either.

I've got a pair of Pivetta (Italian) hiking/mountaineering boots that are still serviceable after nearly 35 years...generally, I've found that I get what I pay for in riding/outdoor gear, so I just do it once and get it over with.  It's another one of my obsessions...I'm sick, but at least I am aware of my sickness. ;) ;D

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

I too have the hiking boots in a couple of variations, but most of them are too heavy/hot for me to wear riding, and are generally a bit overkill in that regard.  I don't know what it is about the Lee Parks gloves...must be the deerskin is more breatheable, though it is not waterproof, but in warm weather, it doens't matter a lot about that, as they will dry quickly and not get stiff.  Damn things are 80 bucks though, but I've used them for a year and they are like new...seams won't rip apart when you need them either.

I've got a pair of Pivetta (Italian) hiking/mountaineering boots that are still serviceable after nearly 35 years...generally, I've found that I get what I pay for in riding/outdoor gear, so I just do it once and get it over with.  It's another one of my obsessions...I'm sick, but at least I am aware of my sickness. ;) ;D

I found the same thing to be true of my hiking boots when I rode in them. I had a pair of deerskin gloves that I wore for many, many years that were absolutely the best.  Soft, durable, very comfortable.  Then they wore holes through the fingers & sorta fell apart and I could not remember where I purchased them.  80 bucks for great gloves is money well spent - best just consider that a happy riding experience investment purchase is my attitude.

I suffer from the same sickness as you, gladly, and am also aware of it.  The credit card bills arrive and I practice a 12 step program.  I take 12 steps away and forget about them - for awhile. :huepfenjump3:

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2007, 05:07:48 AM »

Guys,
I have a pair of Georgia thinsulate/gortex boots that I absolutely love.  They have steel toes and great soles.  They definitely could use a bit of polish though.  I also read a ton of motorcycle mags and SIDI cruiser boots were the top rated for comfort, colorfast and water-proofiness.  I hear that if interested in SIDI though they also run small so try-em-on.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:19 AM »

I use my old British Army boots, comfortable, decent ankle support and Goretex lined.

charlie

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2007, 07:10:51 PM »

i can only where timberlands.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »

i can only where timberlands.
Why is that? :coolblue:

charlie

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »

they are the only boots i can find with a low heel, also they feel like you are wearing a snecker(tennis shoe for you young guys)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2007, 09:09:11 AM »

Blimey Charlie, "young guy", you can put an opinion on here anytime you want

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered a pair of the Cruiserworks Defenders yesterday. I started thinking about when I fell in that parking lot last November and mucked up my foot. I chipped a couple of bones. The CUSE is a heavy beast. I was wearing a pair of HD "After Ride" boots. I wonder how much of the injury could be attributed to the boots. Anyway, I'm excited about the comfort and definitely look forward to the waterproof feature.
Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »

I am walking gingerly today, ok limping.  We had to come to a quick stop once in Maine yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was right on a patch of sand...luckily I caught us but we were leaning way over to the left as we stopped.  My foot prevented the bike from leaning all the way over.  Anne was still on the back but could not get off the bike so someone kindly heped us right the bike.  No my ankle really hurts today...just a strain is my guess but I chose not to ride to work because of the pain...stupidly, I drove my jeep...which is not an automatic.

need to consider some new boots.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:43 AM »

I am walking gingerly today, ok limping.  We had to come to a quick stop once in Maine yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was right on a patch of sand...luckily I caught us but we were leaning way over to the left as we stopped.  My foot prevented the bike from leaning all the way over.  Anne was still on the back but could not get off the bike so someone kindly heped us right the bike.  No my ankle really hurts today...just a strain is my guess but I chose not to ride to work because of the pain...stupidly, I drove my jeep...which is not an automatic.

need to consider some new boots.

/Bill

and drive the blue beast for a while!!!!

sorry to hear you are wounded....glad it wasnt worse for the two fo you on that one!!!!

good luck in the boot search.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »

Learning stuff about hurting yourself.  You hurt one foot, so you compensate with the other foot.  Then it starts hurting, so you compensate with your knee, or your hip or your back.......... you get the picture.  Good health is nothing to sneeze about.  If you hurt yourself, look after it right or it gets much, much worse as each fix is hurting something else.  You know, they say that youth is wasted on the young. 

Oh, I wish I could fall down and jump back up and say "More Sir" again like I used to. 

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »

... I had a pair of deerskin gloves that I wore for many, many years that were absolutely the best.  Soft, durable, very comfortable.  Then they wore holes through the fingers & sorta fell apart and I could not remember where I purchased them.  80 bucks for great gloves is money well spent - best just consider that a happy riding experience investment purchase is my attitude.

I did the same - spent about $70 on good deerskin gloves, and they did last a long time.  When those went (same as yours, holes through the fingers), I didn't feel like springing that much again, so I took up wearing deerskin work gloves - $12 on sale from the local big box home center.  3 years on the current pair.  You have to rinse them out good a few times to keep the cheap dye from bleeding on your hands, but then, I had to on the expensive ones, too. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »

I hadn't seen anyone mention these. Binx found them at a Work Clothes webstore, and they came today. They're Work One Boots: Waterproof Aeromet EH Safety Toe Work Boot #6809. They seem to do everything you need, at a good price. We found them here, with lots of pics of them (but the soles are grey in the centers, not green) and a thourough description: http://workingperson.com/products/22_359_31/1/2511/Work_One_Boots:__Waterproof_Aeromet_EH_Safety_Toe_Work_Boot_6809.html I'll see how I like them. They look really great for $150! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »

Check out this site......

www.bootsusa.com
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2007, 06:43:41 AM »

www.bootbarn.com is good too!!  Have tons of boots...different flavors for different folks.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.817 seconds with 21 queries.