Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Riding Boots  (Read 15249 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Riding Boots
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »

I like the black, looks great :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2007, 12:29:39 PM »

Terry - I will post a pic of them in my next post.  Pair I bought in Texas were leather soled so I had them redone.  They are very comfortable.  I used Doc's on them and sprayed them twice with silicone but agree - for a wet ride they would not be best.  I have some gaiters that fit over them, though.  I'm a gear head on boots and socks etc. as well.   Quail hunting in bad boots many years ago left a lasting impression that I have not repeated.

Mike...Mine are not the full quill Ostrich like yours, but they are very comfortable, with some kind of special sole that TL has..can't remember the name of it...and a cushioned insole.

I'm a hopeless Gear Head from my years of backpacking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.  Nothing will f up a trip into the woods worse than having the wrong footwear and other gear.  I wear Bridgedale light or medium over the calf ski socks while riding, depending on the temps, and have found the Cruiserworks Defender boot to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned for both riding and walking around at things like the venues, etc, plus they are completely waterproof without having to treat them with anything other than a bit of black boot cream or a touch of the Doc's stuff for color when needed.  Kevlar toe and heel cups too.  I also discoverd the Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version) gloves last year from Fox Creek Leather...even in temps of nearly 90 degrees, the gloves are not hot.  Gore Tex rain gear is money well spent too.  All that stuff can make a bad situation tolerable instead of being miserable.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »

Mike...Mine are not the full quill Ostrich like yours, but they are very comfortable, with some kind of special sole that TL has..can't remember the name of it...and a cushioned insole.

I'm a hopeless Gear Head from my years of backpacking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.  Nothing will f up a trip into the woods worse than having the wrong footwear and other gear.  I wear Bridgedale light or medium over the calf ski socks while riding, depending on the temps, and have found the Cruiserworks Defender boot to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned for both riding and walking around at things like the venues, etc, plus they are completely waterproof without having to treat them with anything other than a bit of black boot cream or a touch of the Doc's stuff for color when needed.  Kevlar toe and heel cups too.  I also discoverd the Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version) gloves last year from Fox Creek Leather...even in temps of nearly 90 degrees, the gloves are not hot.  Gore Tex rain gear is money well spent too.  All that stuff can make a bad situation tolerable instead of being miserable.

Terry - have worn Tony Lama and other good boot manufacturer's products for years.  If they fit right and are comfortable and give good service, what more can we ask?  Lasting nearly forever, maybe?  Some of my boots are on their third plus soles, soooo......

Will try that Crusierworks Defender boot of yours at some point.  Kevlar toe & heel is a plus, besides they are waterproof. I have several GoreTex hunting boots & hiking boots and they have all worked great and I suppose they would be ok riding boots as well.  I backpacked/hiked/hunted for years & have tons of stuff for various applications. 

Those gloves of yours are of current interest - Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version). I have a pair of waterproof thin leather HD gloves that work well but are too hot for hot weather. 

If money were no object, the FXRG gear the Moco offers is great.  At some point, on that subject, money will no longer be an object and I will likely purchase some/all.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »

Terry - have worn Tony Lama and other good boot manufacturer's products for years.  If they fit right and are comfortable and give good service, what more can we ask?  Lasting nearly forever, maybe?  Some of my boots are on their third plus soles, soooo......

Will try that Crusierworks Defender boot of yours at some point.  Kevlar toe & heel is a plus, besides they are waterproof. I have several GoreTex hunting boots & hiking boots and they have all worked great and I suppose they would be ok riding boots as well.  I backpacked/hiked/hunted for years & have tons of stuff for various applications. 

Those gloves of yours are of current interest - Lee Parks Deerskin (touring version). I have a pair of waterproof thin leather HD gloves that work well but are too hot for hot weather. 

If money were no object, the FXRG gear the Moco offers is great.  At some point, on that subject, money will no longer be an object and I will likely purchase some/all.

I too have the hiking boots in a couple of variations, but most of them are too heavy/hot for me to wear riding, and are generally a bit overkill in that regard.  I don't know what it is about the Lee Parks gloves...must be the deerskin is more breatheable, though it is not waterproof, but in warm weather, it doens't matter a lot about that, as they will dry quickly and not get stiff.  Damn things are 80 bucks though, but I've used them for a year and they are like new...seams won't rip apart when you need them either.

I've got a pair of Pivetta (Italian) hiking/mountaineering boots that are still serviceable after nearly 35 years...generally, I've found that I get what I pay for in riding/outdoor gear, so I just do it once and get it over with.  It's another one of my obsessions...I'm sick, but at least I am aware of my sickness. ;) ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

I too have the hiking boots in a couple of variations, but most of them are too heavy/hot for me to wear riding, and are generally a bit overkill in that regard.  I don't know what it is about the Lee Parks gloves...must be the deerskin is more breatheable, though it is not waterproof, but in warm weather, it doens't matter a lot about that, as they will dry quickly and not get stiff.  Damn things are 80 bucks though, but I've used them for a year and they are like new...seams won't rip apart when you need them either.

I've got a pair of Pivetta (Italian) hiking/mountaineering boots that are still serviceable after nearly 35 years...generally, I've found that I get what I pay for in riding/outdoor gear, so I just do it once and get it over with.  It's another one of my obsessions...I'm sick, but at least I am aware of my sickness. ;) ;D

I found the same thing to be true of my hiking boots when I rode in them. I had a pair of deerskin gloves that I wore for many, many years that were absolutely the best.  Soft, durable, very comfortable.  Then they wore holes through the fingers & sorta fell apart and I could not remember where I purchased them.  80 bucks for great gloves is money well spent - best just consider that a happy riding experience investment purchase is my attitude.

I suffer from the same sickness as you, gladly, and am also aware of it.  The credit card bills arrive and I practice a 12 step program.  I take 12 steps away and forget about them - for awhile. :huepfenjump3:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2007, 05:07:48 AM »

Guys,
I have a pair of Georgia thinsulate/gortex boots that I absolutely love.  They have steel toes and great soles.  They definitely could use a bit of polish though.  I also read a ton of motorcycle mags and SIDI cruiser boots were the top rated for comfort, colorfast and water-proofiness.  I hear that if interested in SIDI though they also run small so try-em-on.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:19 AM »

I use my old British Army boots, comfortable, decent ankle support and Goretex lined.

charlie

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2007, 07:10:51 PM »

i can only where timberlands.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »

i can only where timberlands.
Why is that? :coolblue:

charlie

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »

they are the only boots i can find with a low heel, also they feel like you are wearing a snecker(tennis shoe for you young guys)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2007, 09:09:11 AM »

Blimey Charlie, "young guy", you can put an opinion on here anytime you want

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered a pair of the Cruiserworks Defenders yesterday. I started thinking about when I fell in that parking lot last November and mucked up my foot. I chipped a couple of bones. The CUSE is a heavy beast. I was wearing a pair of HD "After Ride" boots. I wonder how much of the injury could be attributed to the boots. Anyway, I'm excited about the comfort and definitely look forward to the waterproof feature.
Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »

I am walking gingerly today, ok limping.  We had to come to a quick stop once in Maine yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was right on a patch of sand...luckily I caught us but we were leaning way over to the left as we stopped.  My foot prevented the bike from leaning all the way over.  Anne was still on the back but could not get off the bike so someone kindly heped us right the bike.  No my ankle really hurts today...just a strain is my guess but I chose not to ride to work because of the pain...stupidly, I drove my jeep...which is not an automatic.

need to consider some new boots.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:43 AM »

I am walking gingerly today, ok limping.  We had to come to a quick stop once in Maine yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was right on a patch of sand...luckily I caught us but we were leaning way over to the left as we stopped.  My foot prevented the bike from leaning all the way over.  Anne was still on the back but could not get off the bike so someone kindly heped us right the bike.  No my ankle really hurts today...just a strain is my guess but I chose not to ride to work because of the pain...stupidly, I drove my jeep...which is not an automatic.

need to consider some new boots.

/Bill

and drive the blue beast for a while!!!!

sorry to hear you are wounded....glad it wasnt worse for the two fo you on that one!!!!

good luck in the boot search.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »

Learning stuff about hurting yourself.  You hurt one foot, so you compensate with the other foot.  Then it starts hurting, so you compensate with your knee, or your hip or your back.......... you get the picture.  Good health is nothing to sneeze about.  If you hurt yourself, look after it right or it gets much, much worse as each fix is hurting something else.  You know, they say that youth is wasted on the young. 

Oh, I wish I could fall down and jump back up and say "More Sir" again like I used to. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 22 queries.