Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio  (Read 85198 times)

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
  • CVO 2009; FLHTCUSE Stardust Silver/Twilight Blue
Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »

I'm trying to find an audio cable with a 90 degree male, on one end, that will plug into my Zumo and then to the aux port on the back of the radio. (The local radio shack doesn't have one.) Also, for this radio mod, how long should that cable be. I don't want longer than necessary and realize this length will depend on the rear ports cable. Since all you guys have already completed this project ... suggestions, please?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

I'm trying to find an audio cable with a 90 degree male, on one end, that will plug into my Zumo and then to the aux port on the back of the radio. (The local radio shack doesn't have one.) Also, for this radio mod, how long should that cable be. I don't want longer than necessary and realize this length will depend on the rear ports cable. Since all you guys have already completed this project ... suggestions, please?
SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE You might be able to get away with 24 inches I used the 1 meter (39 inches) to go from my Zumo (Handlebar mounted) thru the cable hole in inner faring and out the other side to the front plug on my radio.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »

Ask and thou shall receive?! Thanks for the info!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »

Ask and thou shall receive?! Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21: You may want to post what length you used once it's done for those that might have the same setup in the future.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »

I ended up with a throw away cable from best buy installation service. It had a 90 degree on both ends but the price was right. 3 Feet long was plenty in length. Some day I may change it but all is well. I should add, I went to a jeweler to look though his glasses at the traces. We both agreed they were cut. After installation I discovered the rear Aux jack didn't work. Pulled the radio again and let a "kid"  look at the traces. (no glasses) He said the rear one wasn't completetly cut so handed him the exacto and held my breath. HE FIXED IT. I love this mod!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »

I ended up with a throw away cable from best buy installation service. It had a 90 degree on both ends but the price was right. 3 Feet long was plenty in length. Some day I may change it but all is well. I should add, I went to a jeweler to look though his glasses at the traces. We both agreed they were cut. After installation I discovered the rear Aux jack didn't work. Pulled the radio again and let a "kid"  look at the traces. (no glasses) He said the rear one wasn't completetly cut so handed him the exacto and held my breath. HE FIXED IT. I love this mod!
Good deal, glad it worked out for you.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

driven2fish

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »

Just finished this mod. Only prob I had was the different wire colors. Had a red, black and bare wire on my aux from the shack. I used an earlier posters remedy and it worked.

A+

thanks for the info

E Clampus Vitus...

ScreaminStreetGlide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE in Candy Concord
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »

Let me start by saying that this is not as easy as on the 05 and earlier radios....

Thanks HD-Dude.  I had my fairing apart to put in the J&M Speakers and decided to add an aux input to the rear while I was at it.  The instructions you gave were wonderful and the mod works great.  The actual parts inside the radio are so much smaller than the photos led me to believe, but I got through it.  Had to buy a kit of precision screwdrivers that had a T-8 torx in it because the smallest I had was a T-10, so now I have more tools as well...thanks again
Carl
"Don't blame me....I didn't vote for him!"

ScreaminStreetGlide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE in Candy Concord
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »

Just finished this mod. Only prob I had was the different wire colors. Had a red, black and bare wire on my aux from the shack.
E Clampus Vitus...

I think I bought the same one from the shack.  Red=Right, Black=Left, Bare=Common
Since HD-Dude labeled what went where, it was a piece of cake
"Don't blame me....I didn't vote for him!"

otteaga

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »

SOOOOOOO does the software version matter to select the aux channel because w/v8.9 when you plug in it selects aux?  I am not clear on why you need to break the trace at the radio?  Will the front no longer work?

Also has anyone done their LEDs or have a photo of how many and where they are on the faceplate?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »

Breaking the trace fakes the detection circuit in the radio into thinking you have plugged a jack into the front connector. If you don't have a jack plugged into the AUX input connector (and you don't fake the detection circuit)then you won't be able to select the AUX input on the radio.

The front connector will continue to work also.

I don't think the version has anything to do with it.

I am not sure what you are asking with your second question.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:40:01 AM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

otteaga

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »

Breaking the trace fakes the detection circuit in the radio into thinking you have plugged a jack into the front connector. If you don't have a jack plugged into the AUX input connector (and you don't fake the detection circuit)then you won't be able to select the AUX input on the radio.

The front connector will continue to work also.

I don't think the version has anything to do with it.

I am not sure what you are asking with your second question.

Jim

Faceplate back light is red and I am going to change it to yellow....

thanks

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »

There are 26 LEds behind the LCD and 15 behind the buttons (2 different types) You need to remove the conformal coating when working on the LCD LEDs. When that coating is heated by the soldering iron, the gases contain formaldehyde....nasty stuff, so be careful. You then need to re-coat the removed conformal coating with a flexible waterproofing material. Do not use lacquer based waterproofing, it will crack with the vibration the bike is subject to and become useless. Good luck

We do do a yellow conversion... . www.ironcrossaudio.com/bluebacklight-radio-conversion.html

otteaga

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »

There are 26 LEds behind the LCD and 15 behind the buttons (2 different types) You need to remove the conformal coating when working on the LCD LEDs. When that coating is heated by the soldering iron, the gases contain formaldehyde....nasty stuff, so be careful. You then need to re-coat the removed conformal coating with a flexible waterproofing material. Do not use lacquer based waterproofing, it will crack with the vibration the bike is subject to and become useless. Good luck

We do do a yellow conversion... . www.ironcrossaudio.com/bluebacklight-radio-conversion.html

And soon you'll be doing mine!  Way to much for me to be concerned with!  I'll be shipping today! 

Thanks for the info!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »

Just finished this mod. Only prob I had was the different wire colors. Had a red, black and bare wire on my aux from the shack. I used an earlier posters remedy and it worked.
A+
thanks for the info

I think I bought the same one from the shack.  Red=Right, Black=Left, Bare=Common
Since HD-Dude labeled what went where, it was a piece of cake

Did y'all buy the plug pre-wired? I looked and all I could find was the bare plug. I looked around on the walls and didn't see anything, so I went to the parts bin.  :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.