Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio  (Read 85181 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »

I have the same question as Crusty. Went to the shack and all the they had was the bare plug with no wires. Did you buy a complete cord and cut it?
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2010, 12:19:59 AM »

I have the same question as Crusty. Went to the shack and all the they had was the bare plug with no wires. Did you buy a complete cord and cut it?

I did go get one and cut it, and the colors matched up.

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »

Did you get it at Radio Shack? It would make life easy if the colors match up. Can you tell me what one you bought.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103868

They used to carry 6' version of this cable but I can no longer find them. Check your local Wal-Mart I found them there also.

Don't worry about the colors mathing up. You will have 2 wires with insulation and 1 bare wire. The insulated wires are the + and the bare wire is the -.

Ride It Like You Are Retired

otteaga

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »

If you use a 3 wire combantion and a fitting from The Shaft just solder them the same as the board.  ground is pretty easy to figure and once you solder the left and right it would only mean left and right are reversed no big deal right?

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »

Just finished the mod tonight. Perfect instructions. I had to take the radio back out and cut deeper on the solder trace. These old eyes don't see as that well. Lucky I just hooked it up temp so I just had to upplug it.  I used a meter to hook up my wires correct left and right. Thanks for the very helpful info.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

AbnMP13

Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radi
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »

That's it.......Thanks again to Paul at Hawg-Wired for helping me figure this one out and to Terry for the used of the radio.

What wire did you use to connect to the radio?  Does it matter?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:58 AM »

What wire did you use to connect to the radio?  Does it matter?

Welcome!

Any mini-plug will work.

Just finished the mod tonight. Perfect instructions. I had to take the radio back out and cut deeper on the solder trace. These old eyes don't see as that well. Lucky I just hooked it up temp so I just had to upplug it.  I used a meter to hook up my wires correct left and right. Thanks for the very helpful info.

The shop where I had mine done obviously had the same problem... but didn't ops check it, because mine doesn't work, so I had to make a dummy plug. Just a cut off wire now; will make it something cooler when I get time.

AbnMP13

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:49 AM »

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103868

They used to carry 6' version of this cable but I can no longer find them. Check your local Wal-Mart I found them there also.

Don't worry about the colors mathing up. You will have 2 wires with insulation and 1 bare wire. The insulated wires are the + and the bare wire is the -.

More great info; once my GPS comes in I'll have all supplies on hand!  :orange:

onthefence

« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »

Now is the tricky part.....There is a solder trace on the PC board that needs to be cut in in order to have the radio stop at the aux position with nothing plugged into the front panel. Here is a close up of the trace that has been cut. To cut the trace use a x-acto knife with a new sharp blade. gently scratch across the trace to remove it.

Is this solder trace in the circuit that flips the radio to aux when something is plugged into the aux jack?  If so, how does this work?  I noted that the radio will flip even if the other end of the cord is not connected to anything.

I am trying to find a circuit that will flip the radio to aux only when the GPS has an audio output. 

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:34 PM »

I'm not an electronics expert, but having done this mod I  would say the circuit you cut somehow "senses" when there it something plugged in to the front port . By cutting it you short circuit it's function as it will also work if you insert a "dummy plug" into the port. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:14:28 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »

I'm not an electronics expert, but having done this mod I  would say the circuit you cut somehow "senses" when there it something plugged in to the front port . By cutting it you short circuit it's function as it will also work if you insert a "dummy plug" into the port. 

:2vrolijk_21: Correct, when a jack is plugged into the port it opens a circuit that allows the mode select to stop at the aux position.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »

Does anybody know on the 11 SESG what you have to do to to get the aux jack to work to the rear of the radio as it already has the ipod.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:52 AM »

Does anybody know on the 11 SESG what you have to do to to get the aux jack to work to the rear of the radio as it already has the ipod.

You do not have the jack on the back of your radio. If you want one you need to do the Mod. If you wanted to listen to MP3 files or made a phone call via the GPS then you need to run a cable from the GPS to the Auxiliary input on the front of the radio. To make or take a phone call you will also need a helmet microphone interface such as the HD Bomm or equivalent, the Cell Set. Doing the Mod allows you to plug into the jack on the back of the radio so that you do not have to plug into the front Aux input port. The Mod just cleans up the looks you really do not need it if you plug into the front Aux port on the face of the radio.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

taximan62

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »

This will allow you to connect more than 1 device to the Aux at one time.  I have one and it work great!!!

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.