Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lanale Air Fan Cooler ?  (Read 2583 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
Lanale Air Fan Cooler ?
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »

Again, read posts.  But cant get my mind around it...some say yes, some no.  Clearly, the Harley version was below standards. Not going there.  But for those who have installed the Lanale Air fan ... I mean does it really help in stop in go traffic on the 110 engine.  Bottom line, in the real world ... is it worth it ?   

Thanks again ! :)

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
Re: Lanale Air Fan Cooler ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »

Mine died after less than 3 months and 4-5 uses:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39217.0

I couldn't recommend them to anyone in good conscience. Buyer beware. :'(
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »

Never personally used one, but I'd think a bigger oil cooler with a small fan behind it would be as effective and not be as, well, ugly.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »

I had one, stopped working in a few months. Seemed to cool it down a little when it did worked. No customer support and I could not get parts to fix it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »

To each his own, but any company that doesn't have enough faith in the durability of their parts to offer more than a 30 day "warranty" probably wouldn't see any money from my cheap azz.  No way would I pay the $220-$320 this thing costs and then have them tell me 31 days later when it craps the bed that they will fix it if I ship it to them prepaid and send them $60 for the repair.  KMA!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »

i have the harley fan on my current ultra with sidecar - i had a harley fan on the road glide with sidecar before that

the fan comes on 4 or 5 times every hot day [was on half a dozen times today, so far and i have another hundred miles to go] and i have never had a problem with either of them, they have not failed, or broken, or quit, or whatnot.

whenever the engine is hot the thing runs, when it cools down it quits. i ride a LOT in the metro area and when i get stuck in stop and go traffic the fan runs most of the time - i also have a remote oil filter and cooler mounted on the right crash bar near the sidecar body - lots of air flow & no oil gets on the bike during oil changes.

i do know that folks with se air cleaner back plates have problems because the sensor cant be put in quite the right place - but if you get the sensor right it works. [sensor has to be 1/16" away from the head fins]

tp

Wildrat

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »

220-230 for a 12vdc fan. I don't think so.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »

NO.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »

Again, read posts.  But cant get my mind around it...some say yes, some no.  Clearly, the Harley version was below standards. Not going there.  But for those who have installed the Lanale Air fan ... I mean does it really help in stop in go traffic on the 110 engine.  Bottom line, in the real world ... is it worth it ?   

Thanks again ! :)

I didn;t realize there had been problems with the Lenale Units, I got one when they were $146.00 on E-bay and have beat the devil out of it since 07, on my
09 if it goes into limp mode I can switch the fan on and it will run normally in a few minutes, it moves much more air then the HD unit and in my opinion looks very good on the bike, mine came with a horn relocation kit and a plug for the accessory switch, simple installation, back then Lenales ad had a disclaimer that there were cheaply made knock off units on the market and to be cautious making a purchase. sometimes I go months and never need it but like a spare tire on a car, its a wonderful addition when your looking at a mile of brakelights and its 90 degrees.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »

I also have a remote oil filter and cooler mounted on the right crash bar near the sidecar body - lots of air flow & no oil gets on the bike during oil changes.

Timo,

Sounds like an interesting set up. Do you have a parts list and pics? I'd like to see it.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »

better ways to cool it down other that some ugly fan.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Wildrat

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »

better ways to cool it down other that some ugly fan.

Would you care to list them here in a little detail, besides coolers, fans, and routing thru crashbar.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

I see you live in FLA and it is warm there as it is here in Tennessee. what kind of temps are you averaging. by changing baffles, removing C/C, adding a big sucker, and tuning w/ TTS mine averages around 235. hottest- 245
which is great considering I run lowers on my SERG, vented true, but lowers still.
maybe its all the twisty roads we have here, no, that would make it run hotter. :pepper:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »

no pics....

but its a jerrys riggs http://www.jerrysrigssystems.com/order.html  remote oil cooler kit & a 2000 era se oil cooler. the filter mount clamps right onto the crash bar without messing with the lower & the cooler is clamped to the crash bar right above it.

the bike and sidecar are black - black adapter, black cooler, black lines.

the lines follow the sidecar frame brace and come out the opening in the lower where the frame brace goes through.

works wonderful.

ps - with a sidecar NOBODY makes a cooler and mount etc that will mount in the stock location - there just is no room - getting the stock oil filter out it is difficult. discovered this the hard way with a 2001 se road glide - had to take the cooler etc off to mount the sidecar.

to

Wildrat

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

As long as the bikes are moving they are fine. If I am in a long line of stopped traffic on the Interstate they get so ho t they do not want to run. I used to get a flickering oil light because the bike was idling so low, since putting the zippers shum in the cam plate that issue has gone away but the motor will melt one of these days if I don't get to doing some of my projects.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.